carpet mildew smell fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 11:56 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carpet mildew smell fix

Guys,

My fix..... One of the most overlooked products ever is "BORAX". It is an odor eater and mildew preventer. I always sprinkle it liberally under my carpets if I pull tham up. It is a white, odorless granular powder. Put a table spoon into each shoe every day for a few days and you cannot tell if the shoe is under your nose if you can't see the thing. Remarkable stuff. They used to use it in the rinse water of a diaper wash so it mild. The problem in a car is getting the borax to the site of the mildew as it is in the fabric deeply and in the padding. Take a pot of water and super-saturate it with borax by putting in say 8 cups into a gallon of water. Much oif the borax will lay on the bottom till you heat the water and then it will disolve. Pour this onto the carpet where the carpet has stood wet and mildewed. When the carpet drys the borax will be left behind in the fabric and the smell of everything will be eliminated. If the carpet still smells you didn't get the solution to all parts. use more water and soak it more thouroghly. This stuff is not corrosive and will not damage anything that I know of. The borax box used to say use it for diapers and shoes and mildew but liabilities have forced them to recommend it only as a laundry detergent booster. BORAX now! NOT BORATEEM SOAP. Any supermarket.

Hope this helps you out a little

Johned
Old 04-12-07, 11:58 AM
$loJam
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.....
Old 04-12-07, 12:07 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

great infor............thank
Old 04-12-07, 05:04 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

I have that mildew smell, but it comes a goes every now and then. I'm not too sure where it comes from since it isn't always there. I want to get rid of it but don't want pour the solution everywhere.
Old 04-20-07, 10:35 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default mildew smell

T,

The most common source of the smell is the AC vent. Turn on climate with ac and run a while. After it sits with the eng off start it and set the climate mode to hi air out the dash ducts. If you get a nose full of mildew it is comming from the ac system. Carpets are definately not intermittant. Much worse when wet though.

John
Old 04-21-07, 07:42 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Thanks John...any ideas how to clean them out to get rid of the smell. Its really just once in awhile not often but happens maybe once every 2-3 weeks.
Old 04-22-07, 11:22 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default mildew smell

T,

Remove the panel above the pass feet. On the underside of the heater assy you will see a narrow panel held in place by two screws. Remove it and you can see heater coils. Spray Lysol liberally into the hole and get as much of it into the coils as you can. Spread a bath towel on the floor to collect the overspray. Reinstall the gasketed panel carefully as if it leaks the water goes into your passenger's socks.

I have found it neccessary to do this every 3-4 months. That chamber gets soaked every time you use the ac and that gets used almost al the time, winter or summer. There must be a lot of slime built up in there. No real fix except to drop the climate control sys and power wash the unit and that is a weeks worth of work for a rookee like me.

I understand that GM has a fact product for their systems that works better than Lysol but I have never used it. I think that one also has a sent.

john