SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I Purchased A Chip From Lexussc400.com

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 08:12 PM
videofxr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Keith13b

If it really is a customer, then he should be able to give you a test ride to see for yourself. So ask! It is funny how a newbie, all of a sudden, does this upgrade.

I really will put some weight into a veteran's comments though. Any of the local experts have input on this new ecu upgrade?

Keith
Being a Veteran of post to a forum has no bearing
on how much someone knows about these cars. Just
because this forum puts weight in the amount of post one makes, gives actually no credibility to the content of the post. A certified Lex technician could be a "NewBie"
Old 12-03-01, 11:40 PM
808state
Driver

Being a Veteran of post to a forum has no bearing on how much someone knows about these cars. Just because this forum puts weight in the amount of post one makes, gives actually no credibility to the content of the post. A certified Lex technician could be a "NewBie"
who do you feel more comfortable with, someone you just met or someone who you've known for awhile?
a person who posts frequently (though not as much as The Ikon ), i would think the forum would feel more comfortable with because at least (if you read between the lines and follow forum) you know where they are coming from and how they feel from their past posts. if you post, at least you are sharing knowledge, experience, and your opinion whether it is good or bad. it's not soo much that a person who posts knows more, but that we feel more comfortable with.

as for a "Newbie lexus certified technician", i wouldn't hold that much weight in their opinion with aftermarket parts. if you ever tried to take your car to a lexus dealer and have them fix a problem, the first thing they'll tell you is "ITS YOUR AFTERMARKET FILTER, YOUR AFTER MARKET SUSPENSION, YOUR AFTERMARKET AIR FRESHNER THAT'S CAUSING THE PROBLEM!!! WTF, I CAME HERE TO FIX MY STEREO!!! OH...COME BACK TOMORROW AND WE'LL TRY IT AGAIN..BTW, YOU'RE GONNA BE WITHOUT YOUR CAR FOR ANOTHER DAY! they will always say your aftermarket is the problem so what makes them such experts if to them, the aftermarket part is the problem? plus they'll try change out a parts that cost $$$$ instead of trying to trouble shoot it first.

btw, logically speaking, you'd think that the japanese programmers tweeking the ecu are working in conjuction with a dyno to make sure the ecu tweeks they made actually made real world hp/torque gains on their prototype ecu. if so, why not post these numbers and not "it feels like" or "compares to." why not put the numbers on the website to promote how good of a product this is and what we're really getting??? $799-899 is a lot of money to spend on someone's abstract feelings and not concrete data, don't you think? abtract feelings are marketing tools, but try use that with scientists, engineers, technicians and you'd be crucified!!! it's not that we don't believe the product works, it's just that we want some numbers before we shell out some good money, newbie or not, the consumer protection is what is at stake!
Old 12-04-01, 06:25 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by videofxr

Being a Veteran of post to a forum has no bearing
on how much someone knows about these cars. Just
because this forum puts weight in the amount of post one makes, gives actually no credibility to the content of the post. A certified Lex technician could be a "NewBie"
Not trying to flame here, but I must disagree with you 100%. Your first sentence displays a little ignorance on the matter. I never said a veteran of the forum knows more about our cars. In fact, I even specified our "Local experts", not frequent posters. I have been a member of this forum since the end of 98'; yet I have very few posts, but I have been able to notice the members who have the knowledge and expertice by the content in their posts. After a while, you sort of get to know the personality and knowledge level of people over time. You build up a level of trust and respect for peoples' reputation. You get to "know" the people so well, that you can even identify people who post under a diferent alias name.

In response to a comapny (or group of people) who all of a sudden subscribe to our forum; come out with a revolutionary product almost overnight, suddenly advertise non-stop (which I believe is a violation of the forum, not that I care BTW), yet have not discussed their product or requested input for R&D from the rest of the knowledegable people on the forum; leads me to believe that the party in question does not know the level of expertiece of some of the members in this forum.

Let me give a ficticious example that might clarify this a little:

The neighbor down the street has a Lex. You see him building and modding it almost weekly. Every sun morning he talks ***** about his run at the track last night. Over time his car gets faster and faster. Since you have a lex, you find yourself talking "Car Talk" during encounters of lawn mowing and mail box visits. You find out this guy has a history of performance knowledge, and the guy used to run competitions with corvettes before his purchase of a lexus. He is a internet forum moderator, and at one time used to review performance parts for some car mag. He has experience with just about every aftermarket performance part manufacturer, and has even made some of his own custom parts. A month later, his wife/mom/dad/brother/sister/gay lover/etc gets a lex and you see him doing maintainence and repairs on their car too. A year or two goes by and now this guy has a shade tree speed shop in his own garage. He runs his lex in autocrosses and drag races, and might even compete in car audio competitions. Next thing you know, he has his entire car apart in the garage. The light is on religiously till 1 in the morning on week nights. A few weeks later, this guys 1st gen SC rolls out with a new paint job, rebuilt motor, restored interior, and a set of the widest slicks one could imagine tucked inside the wheel well of the car. He starts it up drives it down the street out of view. Next thing you hear is the engine roaring, tires squealing from afar. A few minutes later he rolls into his garage again and disappears.

Next thing you know, some new guy moves in on your other side. He says he started his own company that just began making aftermarket go-go goodies for the Lexus- He has a website with online ordering and all. He has no dyno, or machining equipment, no warehouse, and sub's out all major fab work. He says his new chip make s a big increase in power that you can FEEL. His only performance results are from his "Butt Dyno". He braggs about the part and asks if you want to drop down $800 bucks for it, cuz the price is going up in January so you better act quick. He has a guy in DC who has it installed, but no one has ever heard of him before; and HE says it makes the car really fast. The new guy does not mention the different applications for the different model or year cars, but only says its for the SC.

Guess what I'm going to do; I'm going to ask the guy whom I KNOW that knows our cars thru experience, what he thinks about the part before I consider buying it. I'm not going to put down the new guy, or bad mouth his company, or discredit the part; but I would sure feel a lot more comfortable if I had my "local expert" shed a few comments on the deal. I'd discuss the new part with my other racing buddies and get their input too. Then I'd ask the new guy if my neighbor and I could be taken for a ride to see a before and after of what the chip does. Then I'd like to see the results on paper. If all looks good, I'll buy the chip if there isn't a better one on the market.

And for what its worth, I would not ask a Lexus certified tech what they think of a performance part because most likely they have not encounterd them before. I would ask them for hints to removing my power steering pump, or changing the timing belt, etc. since they would have experience in that arena. But for performance upgrades, those that have the experience, get my respect. Now, on the other hand, if that tech has a 2001 twin turbo GS400 with a 100 shot of nos, and a rebuilt drive line and suspension; then I'd listen. But that is why we have this forum; to identify those "experts". Sorry for the length, but I felt compelled to respond/defend myself.

The new chip is appealing to me, a bit pricey, but might be worth it if the numbers prevail. Let the forum "experts" take a look at the part. Let them review it by offering them a modified "loaner" computer with a deposit. Most likely they will see how good it is, give it rave reviews, and buy the unit off you. Then everyone and their mother on this forum will be buying them like candy. Its all in the marketing - hope I didn't offend anyone.

Keith
Old 12-04-01, 07:04 AM
videofxr
Rookie

Originally posted by Keith13b

If it really is a customer, then he should be able to give you a test ride to see for yourself. So ask! It is funny how a newbie, all of a sudden, does this upgrade.

I really will put some weight into a veteran's comments though. Any of the local experts have input on this new ecu upgrade?

Keith

"I really will put some weight into a veteran's comments though". "IGNORANCE", What are we
talking about Boats, or Lexus cars??? Your're
the one that made the statement, not me!
Old 12-04-01, 07:26 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by 808state

who do you feel more comfortable with, someone you just met or someone who you've known for awhile?
a person who posts frequently (though not as much as The Ikon ), i would think the forum would feel more comfortable with because at least (if you read between the lines and follow forum) you know where they are coming from and how they feel from their past posts
808, what are trying to say? I'm a fanatic for the SC...

I kinda feel the way 808state is going with this... The long term posters have a kinda personal feel to them... Not saying a "newbie" is lying, but he needs to have a lot of facts to get credibility to most posters here. Well at least with me...

As for the ECU the data has to be there for that price.. I'll take a chance on an item for a couple $$$, but for $800 no way!!! Unless someone with "history" says it is a great product...

I want to get one myself! If it is as it claims to be, it can be our answer to unlock the potential of the SC... I think their claims are true, but the facts are needed...
Old 12-04-01, 07:33 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Keith13b said it well. If a long time CL member had this mod and swore by it, everyone would likely believe them. Any ol' John Doe comes in and swears by it...so what? You gain trust in the people that have been here a while.

And personally I'm getting very tired of the unsolicited e-mails and the advertising posts here for lexussc400.com. Notice you don't see other companies (such as SRT) coming in and pushing their product in every thread? It would make them lose credibility. IMO.

SR
Old 12-04-01, 09:11 AM
joegolf
Rookie

Thumbs up Keith and Icon have it right

No one is saying the porduct is not worth every penny. I appreciate that everyone here is watching out for each other. I called and asked about the chips specifications and numbers and they offered to let me come down and take a test ride on my buttdyno. That will work for me as I am in CA but one thing that does make sense to me... how can someone design this without having a dyno run at some point? I want the upgrade and my 96 SC400 is ready for a boost, but not a pig in a poke. Keith wrote an exceelent analogy about the two neighbors and it should in no way insult a newbie.

SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!

Old 12-04-01, 09:39 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Keith and Icon have it right

Originally posted by joegolf
SHOW ME THE NUMBERS!

Exactly. I've shown dyno numbers for my car to demonstrate the gain from Toyomoto's turbo kit. I can't imagine trying to sell something myself without having a dyno sheet to prove it.

Even if I rode in the car...doesn't matter. I tell you sitting in the passenger seat always seems faster. There could be other things done to the car, etc.

Best idea would be to let someone here with a SC400 borrow a modded ECU, and dyno before and after #'s. That shouldn't be too hard...

SR
Old 12-04-01, 06:06 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with what computerwiz is saying here and I'm dyno'ing my car on Thursday. I really won't have time to screw with the intake, but given that 170-180 seems to be the baseline for the SC400 (which I can actually believe) I'll assume that's at least somewhat accurate. I think I've gained a significant amount of power, but then I've spent a year messing with things here and there and it boiled down to a good intake and exhaust.
I'll see... then scan... then you'll see...
The performance market is rife with BS... like this poor guy I know with a turbo MKIV Supra who thinks those magnetic fuel line things will help his car out
I handed him a copy of Import Tuner's dyno runs of an aftermarket exhaust/intake/downpipe setup netting 70 some rwhp an dhis jaw dropped
We must crusade against BS with numbers!
* MadMaxSC400 flies away, cape flapping in the wind...
Old 12-05-01, 08:46 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Well I will be getting my g-tech meter in today so I will time my 0-60, quarter mile, and measure my rwhp with it. Anyone here know the exact car weight of a 95 SC400? Anyways...I will be shipping my computer off tommorow to lexussc400.com and will have it back in my car by either Saturday or Monday and will g-tech it again and let everyone know the compared results so it might bring some peace in this forum. Later, Adam
Old 12-05-01, 12:07 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I pulled my ECU for a day and when I put it back in, my acceleration was much better. There is this one small winding road near me and I was able to get 6 mph faster before I had to brake.

Adam, if it's not too much trouble, can you do several runs? I mean, can you do a couple runs regular, reset your ecu and do a couple more runs. And when you reset your ECU, in addition to pulling the ECU-B fuse out, can you disconnect your ECU behind the carpet (at least 30 minutes)?

I believe that the reset ECU run in comparison to the ECU upgrade will be more accurate in what the performance upgrade actually is. And maybe compare your original gtech run with a run from your modified ECU after it has adapted for a week.

I would do this myself, but there's no way that i'm going to be able to get a gtech before i ship out my ECU (unless anyone in Colorado has one that I can borrow, really soon).

Thanks,
nick

Last edited by hellasboy; 12-05-01 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-05-01, 01:29 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

hellasboy..........call me this afternoon and explain this better to me. I will PM you my number. Later, Adam