SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Should I give up on my quest for an SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 09:20 AM
raSCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two cents, but if you're looking for something this rare, you should plan for the fact that some travel may be required, even if it's away from the West Coast.
Old 04-20-07, 09:40 AM
NYCsc300
Pole Position

u better not by a civic.. it took me 2years to find mine.. but then again there a bunch on the east coastauto or manny around 4-6 thou. well good luck, i'll keep my eye open..
Old 04-20-07, 10:10 AM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont give up. I just picked up a sc300 5spd in the bay. You just got to wait. There is a green 92 sc for sale and its a 5spd in daily city for 4800. Not in the best shape but you could work with it. Look on craigslist and CL forums.
Old 04-20-07, 10:38 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not convert it? It's easy enough.
Old 04-20-07, 11:53 AM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

I'd rather get a beater SC than a beater civic. At least if you get a beater SC you can fix up a car u actually like...
Old 04-20-07, 12:22 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Yeah don't give up hope! I'll keep my eye out for any sc's around the bay for ya.
Thanks, more eyes is always helpful.

just take the cleanest auto SC3 you can find and wait to put the new motor/gearbox in
I thought about that too. I have changed a couple of transmissions on my friends' cars but never a conversion. Plus I don't have a garage or place to do it (townhouse complex )

5 speed is not as easy to find as an auto of course. Just keep looking and keep an eye out. I did a quick search on craigslist and sent you a couple of links via pm.
Yeah, I got those thanks
I am on craigslist almost 24/7 trying to find one

.jus get a clean auto sc .my sc 250 is automatic /bpu and i bet it will destroy any 5 speed sc300
I think I may have seen your swap, it's pretty clean from what I can remember. I think I am pretty sure I want a 5 speed though.

Dont give up. I just picked up a sc300 5spd in the bay. You just got to wait. There is a green 92 sc for sale and its a 5spd in daily city for 4800. Not in the best shape but you could work with it. Look on craigslist and CL forums.
I think I saw that one a while back on CraigsList, I almost went to go see it haha.

I always find the best deals are from people that have like an aunt/uncle or coworker who is selling a car. That is why I am also on ClubLexus classifieds because I know if I find one on here, it will be from someone I can trust.

I really appreciate all the people who have PM'd me and posted, helping me out. Thanks guys.
Old 04-20-07, 02:33 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

I saw one today at a lil dealership in downtown phoenix...it was gold

Let me know an i'll go look at it for you
Old 04-20-07, 02:43 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

ya, as everyone said, dont give up. i was looking for a 5spd after having a POS prelude that ended up throwing a rod right before i was going to sell it. i lost $5000 but in the end it was worth it to wait(6 months for me). i now hve 5spd that i paid $7200 for and it was worth every penny. honestly i think you will be very unhappy if you choose to get a beater civic for 4k, hell you can get an SC auto for less or the same. Definately keep looking
Old 04-20-07, 03:54 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

I live in the bay area and I found a black 93 5spd w 196k on it, picked it up for 5500 dollars.

Quite a bit of miles on it but the owner took care of the thing. All I needed to do was replace all the filters and fluids, a few belts and its still running strong.

My Point is...
Don't give up! and dont buy a civic! I bought a corolla before my SC and the car was so frustrating! Understeer, Slushy gearbox, and it handled like it was on leafsprings!

If I could do it all over again, I would save a few grand from my 5k, buy a 198x Corolla GT-S, save on fuel, have a tossable car, and have a couple grand to play around with. ... (I would have done it! the GF wanted "airbags" SIGH.)
Old 04-20-07, 04:22 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Same as everyone, don't give up. I'm also in the Bay and it took me 8 months, to find my beauty. Getting my daily emails from Auto Trader, checking Craigslist everyday, getting free car classifieds (El Diablo Dealer, etc) and even doing my weekly calls to the 4 Lexus dealerships close to San Jose. I was not looking for the 5-speed, might as well try to find the pot of gold at end of rainbow. I got my Onyx black auto SC300 exactly a month ago and am very happy I waited. It'll be worth it dude. Keep ya head up!
Old 04-20-07, 07:35 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely don't give up!! Don't get a different beater car - as someone said, exactly what you want will magically appear the moment you buy one. If you absolutely MUST, get like a $500 craigslist special to drive around till you find one you want. I looked for 10 months for mine, and I flew from Omaha, NE to SoCal to buy it and drive it back =0). It was worth every penny! Anyway, Good luck, and don't settle for anything else - I'll keep my eye out too when I get back to the states in a couple of weeks.
~Joe
Old 04-20-07, 08:16 PM
TO_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Default Whaaat? Quit now?

Don't give up. I found my 1992 Midnight Indigo SC300 5SPD with 77K on it and imported it back into Canada. The therapeutic quality of this car as a daily driver makes the hunting, importing and rebuilding of the car worth it. It's a fun ride and the chicks love it
Old 04-20-07, 09:25 PM
HmoobSC300
Driver

It took me two weeks to find an sc300 in good condition for a decent price (5 speed) . consider looking out of state and check the car out in person. got to pay to play my friend.
Old 04-21-07, 05:34 AM
Supreme94'
Driver School Candidate

you must not be looking hard enough, when i wanted one i found it instantaneously....
Old 04-21-07, 07:11 AM
simann
Pole Position

You get what you pay for. A cheap priced Lexus is cheap for a reason. ABUSED.

Take out a $4000 loan and buy a mint condition one.

I waited/watched the scene for 2 years before I found mine this year. Just kind of a lucky strike really.

-Jonathan

Quick Reply: Should I give up on my quest for an SC300?