Just changed my plugs and now I hear this missing sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 12:00 AM
banking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just changed my plugs and now I hear this missing sound

CL members,

Long time no talk or post. I just replaced the plugs with the densos and what a difference it was as far as performance. Bet you it was b/c my old plugs was shot anyways. But to the point after the installation I can hear feel at idle a puff puff noise sorta like it's missing. It drives find at normal driving but when decelerating or letting off the gas the car seems to jerk or kinda hesitates somewhat. I can hear from the back of the exhaust at idle like a puff puff noise. I can only imagine that I may have not tighten one of the plugs all the way or even push the wires all the way in. On the passenger side during the installation of the cover on top of the plugs I was getting aggravated and maybe I could have loosen uo one the plug wires from the cap?
I did not gap the plugs b/c the salesperson told those densos came pre-gap.
I did not change the rotors or cap just the plugs. I did not replace that one screw behind the throttle body that has to be taken off in order to remove the air pipe. Could that be the culprit?
Any info or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.

PS: Ikon,
I never recieved your call for my steering wheel. Whenever you are ready to buy please let me know. Also your buddy Dwight never called also. Please reply b/c I have other buyers but willing to hold for you since you called it first.

Thanks,

Banking
van
Old 12-03-01, 05:34 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car was missing, and it was because they were incorrectly gapped. My salesperson also said they're pre-gapped....what a load of crap. Some were at .045, etc. I put mine at .029 since I'm turbo'd. You want yours at like .038 - .040 for standard engines.

SR
Old 12-03-01, 08:53 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
My car was missing, and it was because they were incorrectly gapped. My salesperson also said they're pre-gapped....what a load of crap. Some were at .045, etc. I put mine at .029 since I'm turbo'd. You want yours at like .038 - .040 for standard engines.

SR
You must be using the NGK. They're happed at .45. My Denso were .40 and they were pregapped perfectly. I saw my mechanic checking it.
Old 12-03-01, 12:03 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
You must be using the NGK. They're happed at .45. My Denso were .40 and they were pregapped perfectly. I saw my mechanic checking it.
I'm using Bosch. Damn those Germans.

SR
Old 12-03-01, 12:29 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Are all the new Boschs made in India now? I know the Bosch Supers are. The ones from India are not pre-gapped too well. They are inconsisitent sometimes so, check. The older ones from Germany are fine.
Old 12-03-01, 12:30 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm using Bosch. Damn those Germans.

SR
Bosch? For a turbo car? That's not good man. The recommended sparkplugs for your setup are NGK.
Old 12-03-01, 04:38 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Im using Bosch Supers with their pregap (they say .044") and my car is running better. She revved much much faster after I changed them (looked like my old plugs were never changed) and its not a placebo effect since I cant feel a thing when someone or I do somthing to my car usually. Im going to get some NGK Iridiums next time I change my plugs. Plugs take way to long to change on SCs!
Old 12-03-01, 09:24 PM
banking
Rookie

Thumbs up CmputrWiz

CmputrWiz,

Thanks for the info and that goes to the rest of you guys.
Old 12-04-01, 07:21 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by matt7184
Im using Bosch Supers with their pregap (they say .044") and my car is running better. She revved much much faster after I changed them (looked like my old plugs were never changed) and its not a placebo effect since I cant feel a thing when someone or I do somthing to my car usually. Im going to get some NGK Iridiums next time I change my plugs. Plugs take way to long to change on SCs!
If you regap them to .04 you'll prolly get better gas mileage. At .044, you're not burning all the fuel in the cylinder.

The bosch are working great in my car...so I'm staying with them for now. As soon as I go to change them again, I'll be putting in some iridiums.

SR
Old 12-04-01, 07:29 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Dwight is going to call you TODAY!!! Later.... So be on the look out.....

The Ikon
Old 12-04-01, 02:20 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

If you regap them to .04 you'll prolly get better gas mileage. At .044, you're not burning all the fuel in the cylinder.

The bosch are working great in my car...so I'm staying with them for now. As soon as I go to change them again, I'll be putting in some iridiums.

SR
Dont you have better performance with a larger gap? I believe my stock gap with the stock plugs are .043".
Old 12-04-01, 02:25 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

My friend found a place selling NGK Iridiums pretty cheap, Ill get the address when I see him.
Old 12-04-01, 02:26 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by matt7184

Dont you have better performance with a larger gap? I believe my stock gap with the stock plugs are .043".
The smaller the gap, the hotter the spark. Therefore the more fuel that gets burned.

Mine are gapped between .028 - .030. When they were over .040, the car would start to miss above 5000rpms.

SR
Old 12-04-01, 04:05 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

So I should gap them down to .040" then. I hate changing spark plugs on my SC

Is it ok to just leave those annoying engine covers (I believe they are the timing belt cover and the 2 spark plug wire and belt covers) off so the changes wont take as long?
Old 12-04-01, 07:27 PM
black sc
Pole Position

If you have a power drill and a socket adapter. You can loosen everything and tighten everything in less than 2 mins on the driver's side. Make sure the drill is at the lowest setting and go up from there or else you may crack something. The passenger side will take longer due to the intake and such.

Don't know about leaving the covers off but, I don't foresee a prob.

Quick Reply: Just changed my plugs and now I hear this missing sound