SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC foglight issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 07:25 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SC foglight issue...

So I installed a 3000k HID kit in my fogs and for about a week they worked great. Then the driver side fog light wouldn't turn on. I discovered the problem to be a ground wire that got loose. To make a long story short, it took some trial and error before I created a permanant solution that held the wire in place. Before soldering and crimping the wire today, I tested the ground wire to make sure the bulb turned on, and it did. After I connected everything, it did not turn on anymore. I tested a different HID bulb, I tried the factory bulb and even though the wire sparks when I plug them in, I get nothing. The passenger side light has ALWAYS worked, so it can't possibly be the fuse an it? Can someone help me please? For you SC HID/foglighters, has this ever been a problem?
Old 05-01-07, 07:35 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are you grounding it to Tek?
Old 05-01-07, 07:50 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

The ground wire from the stock bulb (which is H3) leads from a screw that is in the foglight housing itself and plugs into the harness. I basically spliced the factory ground wire into the black/ground wire of the HID kit and plugged both into the harness. I just don't understand...
Old 05-01-07, 08:04 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Umm...I just took the adaptor and plugged the positive into the plug where the standard bulb goes in, and I unplugged the ground that is on the housing and connected the negative to that. I've been running these for quite some time now and no problems. Same goes for Aries' fogs (I did the install for her).
Old 05-01-07, 09:25 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

After three cars and about 5 HID kits, my best advice is to connect the power directly to the battery, run the relays from the stock harness, and run ground wires up, one is by the coil for the car, the other on the drivers side is for the washer refill (use bolts that go right into the frame of the car for grounds)...I have both HID headlights and HID fogs, never had any issues using the xenon depot harness that comes with thier products.
Old 05-01-07, 10:15 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markesc
After three cars and about 5 HID kits, my best advice is to connect the power directly to the battery, run the relays from the stock harness, and run ground wires up, one is by the coil for the car, the other on the drivers side is for the washer refill (use bolts that go right into the frame of the car for grounds)...I have both HID headlights and HID fogs, never had any issues using the xenon depot harness that comes with thier products.
ditto. when i installed mines, i didn't use the factory H3 harness ground. With the PnP harness, I just installed the harness ground to one of the ground points I was already using for my Lows.
Old 05-01-07, 10:24 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. I am currently using all factory harnesses and it hasn't become an issue until now. My lows have been running strong for a few years now and the passenger fog is perfect. Any clue why I've only experienced this problem now and with the driver's side?
Old 05-02-07, 07:54 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Well guys, a little update. I tried running a separate ground wire and still nothing. I tried the separate ground wire with the factory bulb and the hid kit and same symptoms. Could the harness be damaged or could something be keeping the HIDs from turning on due to a variance in the new voltage? I'm trying to avoid splicing in the factory wiring at all costs because it makes NO sense why the other light works, but not this one. I'm stumped.
Old 05-03-07, 12:04 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

your too far away =( umm mind taking a few pics of how u have it hooked up? ill try and help as much as i can
Old 05-03-07, 05:20 AM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

If the fuse blew, wouldn't both lights be out?
Old 05-03-07, 05:45 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Irs been my experiance that it could be a fuse, I had the same problem, One side worked other didnt. it was VERY weird, One would be off completly and the other would kinda dim it self. i was like WTF?! could it be the harness?! could it be the wires?!

after hours of re wireing redoing harness's checking, rechecking, and rerechecking my work, my younger brother (who was 13 at the time) walks up to me holding one of my fuse's that was blown, Looks at me and the only thing he says is "owned"

Check your fuse's, ALL of them. and hopefully you dont have a younger brother who is smarter then you
Old 05-03-07, 09:11 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

hahaha owned...that sucks

but anyways, check the bulb? fuse, ballast, maybe you have a faulty ignitor... or possibly the ballast is faulty so there isnt enough initial power to turn on the bulb...

The advice my work gives out is to leave the bulbs on for at least 6-10 minutes the first time you turn em on, as to let the oils on the bulb evenly burn (evaporate). That helps with coloration I believe...
Old 05-06-07, 10:38 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Changed the fuse and it didn't work. Then I flipped the switch again, and walla instant yellow HID. Later that night, I was looking forward to enjoying the HIDs and the driver side didn't work...AGAIN! I'm going to try to get a new ballast.
Old 05-08-07, 11:25 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you know one side works, switch the ballasts and see what happens.

Then you'll be able to see for sure if its the ballast thats bad or some kind of faulty/short connection.