SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wood Kit Recommendations?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 08:46 PM
kccapt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ps to V8RWDHP

Email or IM me at kccapt@aol.com...It's worth it to check out the Jtree before I order
Old 12-09-02, 09:20 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by V8RWDHP
BTW joshua tree has one more piece than the other kits I have seen. The piece that goes around the radio and climate controls. With the volume **** and cup holder slot in it. If any other kits have it please inform me who sells it.
I do not know if I personally would like the veneer around the console. It might be just a bit too much.

Does anyone know the factory OEM wood grain type, on the 92-97 SC's?

Last edited by EmeraldLexuSC3; 12-09-02 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 09:26 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

ToeJam300, I see your point and I agree. I got some scuffs in the texture on that piece in my car so I think it will look better wood than scuffed. I think your right though it may look a little tacky in which case i'll remove it, take the loss and get a new stock piece
Old 12-09-02, 10:26 PM
skininja
Rookie

The OEM Wood Type is called "Birds Eye Maple"
Old 12-09-02, 10:31 PM
skininja
Rookie

Can you guys post a pic of the Joshua Tree kit? I got a free OEM match sample from Veenerz - Although the grain pattern matched fairly well, it was noticibly darker in tone. Also, as with many other wood kits I've seen, there was a thick layer of epoxy on the top, making it very glossy and reflective, different than the OEM flat finish .... I've heard alca plus kits are poor, and B&I kits are nothing special either.

Attached is a picture of the Veenerz kit
Attached Thumbnails Wood Kit Recommendations?!?!?-lexsc-wood.jpg  
Old 12-09-02, 10:34 PM
skininja
Rookie

I found this on Ebay a while ago, I saved it because I thought it looked bad. Shows the radio console covered up.
Attached Thumbnails Wood Kit Recommendations?!?!?-dsc04301.jpg  
Old 12-09-02, 10:35 PM
skininja
Rookie

Here is another kit off ebay (I don't know the brand) that shows the console covered. Pretty glossy.
Attached Thumbnails Wood Kit Recommendations?!?!?-p1010066.jpg  
Old 12-09-02, 11:14 PM
kccapt
Rookie

Default skininja

Hey skininja:

Thanks for the pics.

If the guy above with the J.tree goes ahead and installs, may be he'll post some pics.

One of the problems is the OEM crap that's so cheap-looking. anyone find anyone who has those?

Last edited by kccapt; 12-09-02 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-10-02, 01:22 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Ok.

Installed the stuff.

Nothing to write home about.

Mine is actually in a 00 GS.

Match: 9/10

Fit: 8/10

Finish: 8/10

I used the pieces moderately...I have about half a kit still.

I think it looks better than stock but not sure if it was worth the price.

Good luck.

Ryan
Old 12-10-02, 01:31 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs down I wouldn't........!

That looks just like the kit I bought 3 years ago from www.exoticwooddash.com, but I would not recommend that kit, nor the vendor. The panels are made from a thin piece of wood veneer, with a thick layer of plastic on top. Everywhere there is a cut out for a light or lettering, the thick plastic tapers and curves towards the opening, causing lots of reflections. It just does not look "normal". Plus, those holes quickly collect dirt and dust. More trouble than it is worth.

To make matters worse, that vendor says "money back guarantee", which is the only reason I gave it a try. Only AFTER you buy it are you informed there is a 25% (!) restocking fee on returns.
Old 02-12-03, 08:48 PM
AAS
Driver School Candidate

{edited}

Last edited by pcmw; 02-12-03 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-13-03, 12:09 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Perry said, it doesn't look normal...honestly, I think they look rather ugly...I don't know about you, but I don't like driving an armoire...I think the factory wood is enough....I suppose it would look better if the cutouts weren't there (and the text was actually printed on top)...dunno...looks unnatural...like the molded plastic "wood looking" window control trim on some cars...kinda nasty actually!

Last edited by Manaray; 02-13-03 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-13-03, 06:58 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my kit from legendfive and paid like 400 I think(back in sep 2000).
Brushed aluminum.
They told me it would be a perfect fit and it was very low profile. The pieces are like 1/8" thick. When they said low profile I though they meant like aluminum soda can thikness. 1/8" is NOT low profile in my opinion.

The pieces included a piece for center console trim but our trim is curved but the piece was flat. Tried almost everything to put it on but no go there.

The dashboard piece is also curved in our cars but the piece was flat so not a fit there either.

Then came the radio and climate control. The pieces had little holes cut out so you can see the letters on the radio and the climate control. Didn't cut the holes big enough to see all the letters. total cr*ap.

Then came the piece for the shifter piece. Holes were in the right place. But looked out of place since I couldn't put the console trim piece.

The came the ashtray cover. The pieces were so think that they didn't open all the way when I had the radio piece on.

then the copholder piece. The center console piece didn't even bother going all the way back to the cupholder even if I was able to fit it.

I called them back for refund withing 3 days of receiving the kit since I didn't glue anything down and fitted them with (regular scotch tape to see fitment). I told them that I was not satisfied with the kit. They said I couldn't return it because my car was too old(92SC400)(what does the car have to do with the kit?. I mentioned to them that the car hasn't changed much and should be able to use alot of the pieces for later model but they still said no. I even offered to pay the shipping charges back and 15% restocking fee. They said no. I offered to pay 30% restocking fee and they still said no. I asked them I would only ask 50% of the money back and pay shipping charges and they said no. I told them that they said would be very happy with the kit and he'll guarantee my satisfaction.

All in all legendfive will never get another order from me.(not that they care about customer satisfaction)

Last edited by VSsc400; 02-13-03 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-13-03, 09:35 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's horrible, if it were me I would have made sure they didn't get away with that crap, you're too nice sometimes D...
Old 02-13-03, 09:43 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
That's horrible, if it were me I would have made sure they didn't get away with that crap, you're too nice sometimes D...
its not worth driving out to california for 400 bucks... if they were anything like 300 mile radius I would've been there with my chromed stick ball bat.

Luthor: Didn't get a chance to congratulate you on the SC3. Nice. In any event I've setup a track day event for northeast CL on March 29th saturday. Would love to have you show up.
One more thing. Do you think a supercharger mounting braket made for 98 GS400 would fit your SC4?

Quick Reply: Wood Kit Recommendations?!?!?