SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help with theft deterrent for my 92 SC400

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 01:16 AM
SC4V1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with theft deterrent for my 92 SC400

Hey guys I wanted to know if you can give your opinions on this :http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...d=1079&sc=3364
I want to buy this for my sc400 not as a full theft deterrent but as something that can atleast buy my car some time or help against kids just wanting it for a joy ride. My old car a 1989 Toyota Camry was recently stolen by some asses taking it for a joy ride, luckily the cops recovered it in like 4 or 5 hours intact. regardless i was told the camrys are very easy to get into and the kids used some sort of technique on the parking brake because the car was just as i had left it, nothing was ripped or broken. anyway, im sure that my lexus will not be that easy to steal seeing as how it has its own alarm and some sort of engine kill i think, from what i read in the owners manual. this whole mess with the camry got me worried about the lexus and i got to thinking about extra security. I heard lojack is great, but its pretty much out of my price range for the time being and it really wont prevent much until i found out about it and report it to the cops. a normal car alarm probably wont help if im to far away from the car or it will just get annoying after all the false alarms. so the brake pedal lock seems like a good idea, what do you guys think?
Old 05-05-07, 01:39 AM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

I think that should help, it sure helped my friend. His car was broken into and he had that same type except it was for the clutch. You could tell the person was trying to get it off because the pedals were slightly bent. The person obviously couldn't so he just took whatever he could from the car, including the ECU. I was thinking of getting one also. Whatever happened to the club? lol
Old 05-05-07, 02:01 AM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put a HUGE ****ing dog in your car
Old 05-05-07, 02:21 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the club might help.. But if you really want to avoid theft, cut off what engine needs to run with. (Air, Fuel, and Spark) And out of those three, fuel and spark are the easiest thing to tap into.. So place some kill switches inline with them in hidden locations and you're set!
Old 05-05-07, 04:16 AM
JDM
Lead Lap

If I'm parking somewhere I dont trust for too long I just take the EFI fuse along with me.
Old 05-05-07, 06:44 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I like both the last solutions...

a relay and hidden switch for the fuel pump wire goes a LONG way towards fending off a would be thief...

it's on my list of things to do on my car...

it's quite simple really - go buy a 25a relay from autozone / pep boys / whereever, mount it close to the fuel pump, follow the wiring diagram, and run wires to a switch mounted where ever you think would be inconspicuous...
Old 05-05-07, 07:38 AM
itzcam
Driver School Candidate

i got tha wheel boot..it scares people..not like tha pedal club thing.they wouldnt see tha pedal club till they already broken in tha car..wit tha boot..they see it ahead of time..n dont even bother..
Old 05-05-07, 08:35 AM
strongsail
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A club on the steering wheel won't stop a crook with the right tools. They carry powerful ratchet cutters to cut battery cables and silence alarms; the same cutters are used on the steering wheel. Most wheels have a small steel wire core, light enough to bend in a collision. The crook just cuts through the wheel to remove the club.
Old 05-05-07, 09:36 AM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

That look like it would be a pain to put on and remove when leaving your car.
Old 05-05-07, 10:43 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

I would use a combination of a very good alarm, kill switch and LoJack. I look at it this way: Alarm will let you know if someone is breaking into your car (hopefully). Kill switch will for sure disable fuel/spark. LoJack is if they end up towing it away. At least you will have many different measures of theft deterrent.
Old 05-05-07, 04:38 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people here don’t want to go into exact details on what methods they use. Also search because there is a lot of stuff here on the subject.

Keep your car as stock looking as possible. The more obvious stuff you do rims, body kit, DVD players, and bling then the more you got to do to keep the turds from stealing it. The club is good to keep away the amateurs. But it's not cool when you park at the movies with your girl and whip out a big giant club. Kill switches work well and are simple. But if your car looks like it can be in Modified or Turbo Mag you need to take it a step further and go multiple more clever devices like reed switches (magnetic), etc. I got a kill switch and a factory alarm but I know that's still not good enough. My car isn’t to flashy though. Most people don’t realize what they are looking at. The wide rear tires and exhaust are the only give-a-ways. You can’t even really see the FMIC.

BTW If you live in a border city don’t bother with LoJack or GPS Tracking unless you got connections with Mex PD. I looked into it. You just have to make sure they can't take it to begin with.

Good Luck.
-L
Old 05-05-07, 11:57 PM
SC4V1
Pole Position

well, i guess that would look corny if i were to whip that club out in front of my girl, but never the less, i rather be safe than sorry, I may try this for a while. having said that, i am becoming more and more interested in the kill switch idea, im going to really start to research this. however im not very handy when it comes to these things, it seems pretty complicated. How hard is it to get it on ones car? what exactly does it do?
Old 05-06-07, 12:22 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=1240123
Old 05-06-07, 12:49 AM
SC4V1
Pole Position

heh, heh, thats exactly what im searching
Old 05-06-07, 08:58 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pull the wires and a relay from under the hood. If i'm parking someplace shady, I'll usually take the ignition wire and a random relay from under the hood. If not too shady, I'll take the ignition wire.

Quick Reply: Help with theft deterrent for my 92 SC400