SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help on purchasing an SC300!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-01, 01:03 PM
ConceptSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on purchasing an SC300!

What do i need to look for when buying? what year is best (if any). Also to tell you that my goal is to run low 12's maybe even high 11's. I do have the money to spend (cause i know that it will cost to reach my goal) I would like to know which mods should be done first. thanx in advance
Old 12-05-01, 01:51 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need help on purchasing an SC300!

Originally posted by ConceptSC
What do i need to look for when buying? what year is best (if any). Also to tell you that my goal is to run low 12's maybe even high 11's. I do have the money to spend (cause i know that it will cost to reach my goal) I would like to know which mods should be done first. thanx in advance
Simple, turbo kit, engine and tranny buildup. While there you might think about breaks, suspension, and wheels.

While I am pretty sure you can do it with a SC400, but with SC300 it would be much much easier. When you buy the car make sure the frame is untouched and general shape of the car is good.

To do this pretty much any year of the car will do; however, I did noticed a lot of pre-96 people complain about the dash lights going out or general electrical problems. I haven't noticed anything on my SC as of yet. I have a 97, that means it comes with the side skirts (underbody spoilers) which gives the car a better look. Look wider than older SCs and when lowered looks damn good.
Old 12-05-01, 02:14 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 words:

find a manual

from our own member SC300TURBO, the BEST year to get is a 95 SC300 5-speed... there is no need for engine buildups or tranny buildups... you may or may not need to replace the 5-speed with a SupraTT 6-speed... its a lot easier to do the 6-speed swap from a 5-speed than it is an auto... clutch pedalbox is already in place, no need for getting a clutch master cylinder, etc

It'd be easy to go 11s...

You need these things:
Turbo kit, either bigger additionals than the norm kit offers or bigger primary injectors, a SupraTT auto differential, strong clutch, and a bit of tuning...

the turbo kit from toyomoto is prolly your best bet... you can pick and choose everything you want... I recommend a front-mount intercooler and T60-1 turbo..

after that you'll be doing what you want to do...

One of the turbo guys will put Lance's number up here at some point... (Lance @ Toyomoto)... tell him what you want and he'll tell you what you need to do
Old 12-05-01, 02:48 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Bean
3 words:

find a manual

from our own member SC300TURBO, the BEST year to get is a 95 SC300 5-speed... there is no need for engine buildups or tranny buildups... you may or may not need to replace the 5-speed with a SupraTT 6-speed... its a lot easier to do the 6-speed swap from a 5-speed than it is an auto... clutch pedalbox is already in place, no need for getting a clutch master cylinder, etc

It'd be easy to go 11s...

You need these things:
Turbo kit, either bigger additionals than the norm kit offers or bigger primary injectors, a SupraTT auto differential, strong clutch, and a bit of tuning...

the turbo kit from toyomoto is prolly your best bet... you can pick and choose everything you want... I recommend a front-mount intercooler and T60-1 turbo..

after that you'll be doing what you want to do...

One of the turbo guys will put Lance's number up here at some point... (Lance @ Toyomoto)... tell him what you want and he'll tell you what you need to do
Hmmm, sure, that's if he wants a manual tranny. Well build automatic tranny is much more reliabile and faster than a manual tranny. When swapping to 6 speed you should pay about the same about as if building up the auto tranny. Outcome? You'll be running faster 1/4 miles than with a manual tranny. There is two sides to everything. Advantiges for the 5 speed/6 speed is that it's little better handling and higher stop speed. It's really what you want to go for. If you want to run 12 because you drag race stay with automatic tranny. Drag racing kills the clutch, problems with mis-shifting, build automatic tranny is better in acceleration, turbo boost off the line, etc etc. Lots of advantiges. Most people don't realize this or are stuckup about the automatic trannies.
Old 12-05-01, 03:39 PM
ConceptSC
Driver School Candidate

wow i already have 3 replys, and they are a rell help. I like this fourm already. I have one more question how much power can the stock engine take? what is the fastest time done in a 300 with the stock engine (not the supra engine)?

so far i know to lok into a turbo (T60-1) - toyomoto

Ill be needing an exhaust for this puppy. which should i get?
Old 12-06-01, 10:03 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why is a '95 better than a '97 5spd?
i cant stand the rearer lights on the '95/'96.
'97 was the only choice for me when i got my car.
but good luck finding a stick in the color you want.
Old 12-06-01, 10:34 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by Legends6spd
why is a '95 better than a '97 5spd?
i cant stand the rearer lights on the '95/'96.
'97 was the only choice for me when i got my car.
but good luck finding a stick in the color you want.
Same thing here, the '97 and up are better looking in my opinion.
Old 12-06-01, 04:57 PM
ConceptSC
Driver School Candidate

Finding the color will not be a problem cause i was not going to stay with the stock color anyway. Im just looking for stick.