SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 sc300 or 90 nissan 300zx??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-01, 11:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn Ikon, you be representin the Z32 crowd!

I have to agree here... considering the SC-chassis car a sports car is quite ridiculous...

In fact, the 300zx isn't a true sports car either... its a GT car...

Scott, you must stay apples to apples here... ever seen a 300zx with coilovers like Jeff's car? I'd bet a lot of money the shorter wheelbase ZX, and MUCH MUCH MUCH more advanced suspension geometry ZX would walk all over the SC3...

If you REALLY want to go apples to apples... try comparing the ZTT to the SC3... since they cost about the same... Read Motortrend's first review of the ZX when It ran a 69mph slalom and pulled .96 on the skidpad...
Why did all the future reviews get worse in the handling department? The suspension is the exact same... Nissan ALSO put crappy tires on the ZTT when it was produced, Motortrend happened to get one of the first actual '89 model cars with good tires on it... Put a good set of Kuhmos on it, and it will pull over .96 on the skidpad on stock suspension... I don't care what kind of street tires you put on a SC, it won't do .95 OR run a 69mph slalom with stock suspension...

But your statement about the SC handling really well with the suspension upgrades does brighten my day I've been wondering if I could push the handling limits further on my car...

I'm not sure what to classify the SC chassis as... its an extended Supra chassis for sure, but the Supra is a GT car as well...

And to anyone who called the Z a poor man's sports car, you need to take a step back and ask yourself WHY the Supra and RX-7 exist in the first place... its because of the Z

the old 240Z was modeled after the 2000gt, but it in no way existed because of that car... the 2000gt hardly sold at all... while the Z car is the most popular and most sold sports/GT car in history... Remember that it has always cost the same as a Supra... you gonna call that a poor man's sports car too?

The interior is hardly crap too... its more well designed and better thought out than my SC3's interior... everything is placed within fingertips reach when my hands are on the steering wheel...
Old 12-10-01, 10:04 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure what to classify the SC chassis as... its an extended Supra chassis for sure, but the Supra is a GT car as well...
It is actually based on a modified LS chasis... It is a fact... I'm sure a few people don't want to believe that either? Do the true research before they make a negative comment about it...

***Hey, Bean 'whew' it was getting lonely defending the truth. I'm glad another SC owner with ownership experience with both cars posted a non-BIAS opinion of the two. Based on the characteristics of the cars... We still are out on acceleration .. But it may be closer with the 5spd SC3...

I'm glad you love the ergonomics of the ZX too. I'm glad you know it means more than just leather or wood to make a GREAT interior(I still think the SC has one of the most beautiful interiors every made, just not ergonomically the best compared to the Z..)...

***Hey, I just check a Car and Driver 91' buyers guide, the ZX 5spd weighs 3215 lbs 2 seater... Majoriity of all the ZX made ARE 2 seaters... So the majority of the cars you encounter will be the lighter 2 seaters w/5spd...

The SC has potential I'm sure, but it is a luxury touring sports coupe... NOT a sports car....

The End...

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-10-01 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-10-01, 02:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah your 15.6 time is definitely believable IF it was an automatic

yeah the Z 5-speeds are pretty light... the rare hard tops are even lighter... around 3100lbs... I've always thought of doing a motor swap on one of those...

You sure its an LS chassis? or is the LS chassis based of the Supra too? Because I've got a lot... and I do mean A LOT of evidence that points towards the SC chassis being a stretched Supra chassis... mainly the Japanese option videos where I've found clips of subtitled drifting stunts, some involving the Soarer TwinTurbo... and they speak of its Supra "ancestry"

Yeah my Z was my first fast car... it used to be Stage IV+, but I sold most of the mods... (JWT ECU, etc)

The handling potential of the Z IMO is greater than the Supra, or any Lexus... as far as bolt on suspension goes... the Z has a shorter wheelbase, and some crazy anti-squat geometry (the sole reason they launch so horribly)

but then again... straightline performance... well... as far as street cars go, Supras are faster for many different reasons...
the sheer fastest Z tho is faster than the fastest Supra...

Pro Import Z32 running the VG30DETT engine is running 7.60s... i saw him on Speedvision... he's from Puerto Rico
Old 12-10-01, 04:15 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Negative on the LS chassis there...
The SC has always been a MKIV Supra chassis.
Old 12-11-01, 01:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Is the LS its own chassis or is it based off something else in the Toyota/Lexus lineup?

Ikon, I personally ran a 14.91 last night on the Gtech I think I can do better since I spun a lot on that launch
Old 12-11-01, 01:21 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The information I read was the SC4 is on a modified LS4 chasis... The Supra MKIV was not even out yet... Plus the MKVI is a different chasis than the MKIII...

Bean, you are going to burn out your clutch... What type of tires are you running? Regular or synthetic oil?

What intake system did you order? Is it the one from www.Lexussc400.com or is it an adapter and filter?

I really need to get me one of those Gtechs. You and Abutler make me sick with your damn "in house" dyno/trap machines...
Old 12-11-01, 03:25 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I ran the "Ghetto Specialties" intake adapter... I bought it from home depot, used a little ductape, and got a 5 year old K&N off my old RX-7 to fit on it...

regular oil

nah i'm not slipping my clutch at all; doing a quick dump and a blip and feather of the throttle once or twice for a split second... once it stops spinning (supposed to, to stop bogging off the line), I gun it and the car takes off like a rocket through 1st gear... I feel like I'm pulling 2.0 60's...

I'm running 245/40 futura Zs... I hate these tires...

My friend has two spare sets of 275/40/17 Nitto 555Rs that I want to use this weekend...
While glancing at my speedo, its showing 95 on the dot once the 1/4mile is reached and the gtech starts flashing... the mph on the gtech says 99mph, which i seriously doubt... mph is supposed to be off a bit tho, so i'll have to wait for the track to find that out
I feel 14.7s are possible with a better launch, it still bogs a bit, and some better tires and a real intake... maybe 14.6s with an exhaust; i'm looking for 13.50s with the bottle once it finally comes in

my 14.9 1/4 mile netted a 6.5s 0-60