SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

should i sell my SC????

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 07:45 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i sell my SC????

Well here is some background, i now have a '95 renissance red SC, i really like my car and ive always wanted one, however before i owned it i used to have a '91 MKIII Supra Turbo and I LOVED that car more than anything and pretty much regret selling it every day since. The main reason i sold it was because the 7M motor was old and unreliable and i didnt have the money at the time to do a 1JZ swap, plus i needed a larger (more reliable) family car.

Now i have a GS300 for my family car and my SC is just going to be a weekend/part time race car. However i have a friend that has a 91MKIII thats in as good condition as my old car plus it has a 1.5jz swap and its FAST, its pretty much turnkey and drive down the road done(needs A/C put back in) and he would give me a deal on it because he wants an MKIV, so now im not sure weather i should sell my SC and buy his MKIII or if i should just keep my SC and do a 1jz swap?

help!!
Old 05-14-07, 09:00 PM
DY3VERSITY
Lexus Test Driver

Which body do you want? That really is the question...
Old 05-14-07, 09:03 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes.

No.

Maybe.
Old 05-14-07, 09:15 PM
Nick Lewis
Driver

The MKIII sounds like a nice car can't go wrong with the 1.5 swap. Both are good looking cars in my opinion.
Are you planning to set up either car for a certain type of racing? (drag,auto x,drift)
Old 05-14-07, 09:22 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

If you dont want it -sell it
Old 05-14-07, 09:51 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Well i like both body styles, which is the problem, id like both but only one is practical.on one hand the SC is newer,sleeker and is more luxury based, while on the other hand the supra is more of a raw sports car.

As for what i want in a car, thats simple i want something i can drive on the street reliably with the A/C on and still be able to Embarass 90% of cars on the road stoplight to stoplight and take it to the track and run a 1/4 mile every now and then.

My car is pretty much stock, to get it the way i want it id need to do a 1jz swap+mods,rims,lsd,suspention,97+body upgrade,repaint,new seats,etc.......plus my car is an automatic

The MKIII has newer paint,new rims,complete clean swap+mods 5-speed with new clutch,clean interior,etc... so thats why its hard to decide, i think i can sell my SC and pretty much make enough to buy the MKIII and have very little into a car thats ready to take to the track and race.
Old 05-14-07, 11:52 PM
potatoBBQ
Intermediate

mkiii is a good car but the style is just too dated for my tastes now... i'd swap the sc300 or get a mkiv
Old 05-14-07, 11:52 PM
pnyboy27
Lexus Champion

wow..thats a tough one. ive also had the opportunity to own both..ive had an 87 supra turbo, and now i own a 92 sc300. they both pretty much put out the same power in stock form. i was sad when i sold my supra..i had to sell it because i blew a piston rod and didnt have enough money to repair it at the time. over time i earned enough money and was looking at cars when i discovered the sc and fell absolutely in love with it. i searched for over a year to find the right one. and now, im proud to say that i am an owner of a 5spd sc300! woohoo! if ever had enough money though, i think i would also buy the mkiii again because that was my first car, and i also loved it. so what i guess im saying is...get them both! the sc is just beautiful because its a sports car in luxury trim, something to get the ladies in. and the supra, is beautiful because of its classic lines and its a raw sports car.
Old 05-15-07, 01:04 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have yourself a pickle there. If I were in your position I think I would go with the mkIII. I absolutely love the SC, but it looks like the mkIII is already built and will save you some money in the long run. You always have the gs as a luxury cruiser, add wheels + drop and they look great. But the hard lines and old school look of the mkIII gets two thumbs up from me.
Old 05-15-07, 01:35 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, and what is the asking price?
Old 05-15-07, 03:12 PM
Sleeper97
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the SC. be patient get a job and save up some money and get the swap done later on.
Old 05-15-07, 03:39 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd keep the SC and drop a 1JZ. The bodies are so much nicer than an MK3's.
Old 05-15-07, 06:03 PM
acenase
Pole Position

honestly I would rather keep the SC300 than wasting time on a MKIII supra... the body on that car is hideous IMO and it really looks like an old car. the SC body is timeless and doesn't look dated at all.
Old 05-22-07, 10:47 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

look at yer name, haha. I'd say keep the SC
Old 05-23-07, 12:30 AM
Luke_in_SD
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really care for mkiii's a lot of friends have them and I think they are okay. But if you're getting it for a track car you don't need AC

Quick Reply: should i sell my SC????