SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What it will REALLY cost you to buy a used SC....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-11, 03:18 PM
JJ823
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the op I looked at a few sc300s and bought the one in the best condition (92 teal mist 227,000 miles, manual). Owner before me was a mechanic who babied this thing. I had to replace rear tires and fixed a fuse with the radio recently but otherwise no complaints at all, best car I have ever owned, for a 19 yr old car it runs like brand new, engine looks like you could eat off it, interior is a 9/10 exterior 8/10 (rock chips on front bumper), looks like he did a paint job before I bought it and might have replaced the leather seats also came with xxr 17 rims, intake, tokico shocks, eibach springs, timing belt and water pump replaced.

Last edited by JJ823; 09-28-11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 07:57 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I can speak from experience...

I bought a 92 SC3 in 2008 for $3500 off eBay. Some crazy dealership in Chicago was selling it online, and my Audi was looking at (I thought) some MAJOR work. Turned out the Audi just had some coil pack issues, so 3 of four cylinders weren't working.

As for the SC, I bought it because it LOOKED good on the auction- and I didn't do my research. So when the delivery driver finally got it to me three weeks after the auction end (with a broken windshield, I might add- which he said he wasn't responsible for) I determined the depth of my despair. I know at least two people connected to this car who will rot in car hell forever.

For $3500+500 delivery charge, I bought a car which needed the following:

New battery terminals - battery had to be jumped the very first time I drove it [CLUE 1]
Interior ripped to shreds
Aftermarket stereo barely worked, and trim pieces missing
No AC - not even sure where to begin there
Power steering pump leak/failure - solved this by just pouring fluid into it
Telescoping wheel broken, fixed at maximum position- had to drive like a little old lady in FL
Gauges flickering, then gone
Exterior paint peeling - BADLY
Rust on undercarriage
Trunk shocks gone
Driver's side seat controls dead - leather barely held together, as well
No center stack cupholder
Center console broken
Glovebox broken
Door handles broken
and many more...

Bottom line is, I didn't do my research on these cars and I didn't have the car inspected or anything like that. I was in such a rush and it looked like such a good deal, but I guess I'm wiser. POORER, but wiser.

So I agree with the OP here. Do your homework and know what you're getting into. If you can do the work yourself and don't care about what you're driving, then by all means buy it. IF you want to truly enjoy the driving experience from day one, then wait and pay a little more $$$ for a better example.

I remember when these cars came out; my neighbor bought one and he took me for a spin one day. It was an experience to be in his car- all the things that made it special were the things that set it apart from other cars. I still get a goofy grin when I walk by my new SC, even if I'm not in it.

It's not perfect, but it's mine. And on a 1-100 scale, an 85 is passing in my book. It has it's faults (couple of dings, broken interior handle, trunk shocks). But these are minor things to fix and don't really subtract from my overall enjoyment. If I'd bought it as a project car, I wouldn't care.

But then I wouldn't be driving it everyday, either. It would sit in the garage until it was ready.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 09-28-11, 08:11 PM
Maeve
Instructor

Originally Posted by Duck05
Great thread and very educational.
If yours is a SC400, try to do this: Replacing Coolant Temperature Sensor.
It will make a huge difference - gas mileage & smooth power response.
Old 09-28-11, 09:35 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

I bought my 92 sc400 knowing it was going to be a project car. $1850 for it. For being 2 years younger than me...driver leather seat has a big rip and so does the back seat a lil. Ac doesnt work, ac control is going out, needs a paint job, and now some catalytic converters since mine seem to be stopped up to where it doesnt want to run right. But hey its 19 years old and i wanted a project car to kill some boredom lol
Old 09-28-11, 09:36 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

O...also the factory amp is blown so no radio. All controls still work great though
Old 01-26-12, 03:03 AM
Bertman
Rookie

Just wanted to say that the OP isn't kidding about this!!!

I bought a 1992 SC400 this month for $2000. At 250k miles, its a given that it needs work. Being a Diesel Mechanic I have the tools and support to work on this car myself. However, even if you're a mechanic or an awesome DIYer, parts for these cars is EXTREMELY expensive. I just finished doing the math and I'm looking at $3,000 just on preventive maintenance/needed repairs alone. I figure it'll cost about another 10k for a respray, leather kit, and mods that I want.

I'm at a crossroads right now where I'm not real sure if I should take the DIY route and restore my car, or just get her to good running condition and sell it. Being a proud mechanic I cannot dump a poorly functional car on someone. But listen to the OP's advice! Buy a SC300/400 that is in good mechanical/cosmetic shape! Otherwise your mod money will become maintenance money!
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 01-26-12, 05:44 AM
MKIVS374
Lead Lap

Well can't afford buy a civic. Anyways you know lexus ain't cheap to buy parts for and these cars have there fare share of problems. I did allot of research on these cars before buying my first one. But I was prepared for all the problems. But a 4500$ SC better have 6K in the bank lol.
Old 01-26-12, 08:32 AM
808Sc5spd
Rookie

I bought my 95 5spd sc in October of 2011 for 8k......couldn't be happier with the car, 59k wen I got it.....almost everything 8-9 out 10 condition.

picked up ls400 calipers and supra tt calipers, got em powder coated dark candy red, and can't wait to get them on
Old 01-26-12, 09:03 AM
speed6
Lead Lap

but if you want to drift it, thats another matter..
Old 01-27-12, 09:49 PM
zdatlexus
Driver School Candidate

wow, i feel lucky now, going on 2 yrs ownership of 92 sc400 purchased with 76k miles on it in great shape for 5600 bucks, dealer had replaced ps pump and a couple of ign coils at tune up time....
it now has 93k, no major problems.
one alternator and battery this year, ac due to get compressor replaced that is leaking.
these are not highly problematic vehicles, especially when you are talking about mileages in excess of 100, 200k. There are not many cars that could even last that long, thats the main reason I went with the sc, its got a great track record of high mileage durabilty.. .every vehicle has its quirks and every vehicle suffers from mileage specific break downs.. ac, alternator, water pump....
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 01-31-12, 12:08 PM
Scless
Rookie

This thread is great. Lots of info for me and others who want to buy a SC. Now I know what I'm getting into and should save more money. Should be a sticky!
Old 01-31-12, 05:51 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Old cars can be expensive. Nice old cars can be REALLY expensive. I paid 3g for mine, over 6 in it and the thing is no-where near where I want it. These are wonderful cars. If you do everything right I think these cars are worth the work put in and the money invested.
tiguy99 (10-04-19)
Old 01-31-12, 05:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Scless
This thread is great. Lots of info for me and others who want to buy a SC. Now I know what I'm getting into and should save more money. Should be a sticky!
You're correct. I don't know why this isn't in the FAQ........ or WASN'T in the FAQ.
Old 02-01-12, 10:14 AM
TonyC
Driver School Candidate

The aesop fable's version of this thread (and as is with ALL used cars): buy the latest vintage of the car you can afford, and it'll save you thousands.

Looking at 98-99s SC400 vs. earlier editions right now. In general, due to the lower cost, the < 97s (especially SC300s, due to that "drift" thang) are typically molested. The car's are ~15 years old, you'd think 2 extra years wouldn't make a diff, but they do.

Thanks for the thread OP.
Old 03-19-12, 11:34 AM
kmbishop11
Driver School Candidate

Very true, however last week I came across my 1995 SC400 for a grand. At first glance, I pounced on the deal. Knew going in their was work to be done, however did not realize I was about to become a mechanic on the side. lol Still looking at everything in a positive light and taking it one step at a time. Damage so far-
factory stereo- 100
2 new Goodyears- 200
front end alignment- 40
seat covers-40
magazine on order for changer-25
In near future, passenger door handle, driver door handle, new key 100, work on front cap ???
A work in progress.....so glad I found this forum!

Quick Reply: What it will REALLY cost you to buy a used SC....