SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AC kit Painted and Installed *Lots of Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 08:38 AM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though 600 bucks is relatively cheap for a paint job, it's still 600 bucks. Is the guy going to fix it? If it were me I would be throwin a fit.
Old 06-11-07, 10:55 AM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chanh55
Even though 600 bucks is relatively cheap for a paint job, it's still 600 bucks. Is the guy going to fix it? If it were me I would be throwin a fit.

It doesnt really bother me. Its better than before, he painted it white, lol. I dont plan on painting the rear bumper for awhile, i might as well save the money and paint the whole car, then everything will match. The guy at the body shop also said that my quarters were reapinted before and thats why it was so hard to match. If you look closely the rear bumper matches the trunk lid perfectly. I also dont want to wait again to do it, I waited almost 2 weeks for the paint & install, i just want to cruiz. Once I get bigger wheels with crazyer offsets and my new tails i doubt that people will focus on the rear bumper as much.
Old 06-11-07, 11:24 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I had the A/C kit. Thats a dream car right there. Keep it clean at BOS.
Old 06-11-07, 11:41 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Front looks amazing

Back is terrible

I have owned 2 white Lexus's and had bumpers repainted and they came out a hell of a lot closer that that. Bring it back and have it redone. Don't go to all the trouble of making your car look so hot and then ruin it by a badly painted rear bumper. It takes away from the whole car.

Awesome kit though

Jonny
Old 06-11-07, 12:31 PM
Duckness
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love it!! i wish i had more money but i have other plans for the car. looks great and keep up with the good work.
Old 06-11-07, 01:22 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion is that you have a very high end kit. It deserves better than that. I do see that the paint matches your trunk though. Maybe have the bumper and trunk lid painted.
Old 06-11-07, 01:55 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man - it sucks that were' all so damn picky about things. Maybe were' Lexus owners... That said, I thought I would put in some possibly useful info the relates to car resprays and the people that do them

About 2 years ago my girl's MX-6 was backed into in a parking lot which smashed the passenger side door in and the front quarter panel. I searched long and hard almost interviewing in a way the people I considered for the repair and repaint job. In the process I found two distinctly different types of body work people.

1) Follow the numbers, watch the codes, do it as the book guys.
2) Treat each job as a mild artistic process, massaging the perception of color and light density across the objects being painted guys.

For a brand new car that is just entirely spot on which needs a quick panel replaced and repainted - Worker #1 is the ticket. For a custom job with the possibility of some paint on your car having faded from it's original color code in the sun, or from a repaint having been done slightly out of mixture percentage which again puts the color your trying to match to having been changed slightly from the original manufacturer paint code value..... #2 HANDS DOWN is who you want.

The funny thing about this that I found though - and it's the reason I really felt the need to type it up here right now - is that #2 can almost always do the job cheaper and better for you. Cheaper? Yeah... they are mostly private and can choose to modify prices to suit your budget. One wont, the next just might. Worker's in the #1 category are most likely working in a shop and have no control nor any desire to change the price for you in any way. It's factory line work in their heads. They work hourly and the chance of getting a discounted price over what the price on the "menu" is listed as by corporate is an ice cube in hell.

Additionally, perception of a thing is FAAAAAAAAR more important than the reality of a thing. What I mean to say by this is, your perception of what looks right or looks good will often be very far from what a number or setting will tell it should be. To that end, a guy painting your car (any car - even my girls' lowly 1994 MX-6) from group #2 will easily put more paint on the outer corners to more closely match the rear quarter panels, while modifying the paint hue or density as he over spray's from the actual item needing paint onto the items being matched to. Doing slight fades and washes to smooth everything over and make it "seem" right.

This might all seem very nebulous and hopefully I haven't said the same thing three different ways while typed this all out (in a hurry and need to post and go) - but the truth about cars - like art - like beauty in general, is that your perception of the whole or composition is what matters. A car resprayed with this method will always look better to your minds eye than a by the numbers job.

Ultimately for you however, you are entitled to a better job. So if you can stomach a few more days of time off the roads.... you should totally do it. Be solid in your insistence that the job is not correct, but courteous in the request when you go back to the shop. And be patient while being run around to talk to anyone they can think of to make you talk to in an attempt to run your steam out. But don't let up, when money is paid for services rendered - they have to be rendered correctly. You've paid.... go get what you paid for.

You might curse all of our names now - but if you do get it properly completed there is a chance you might just thank us for all our yelping

Last edited by CLRH2O; 06-11-07 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 02:46 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

I love your car except for the rear bumper. AC kit is the best for our cars. Nice location for pics as well.

Another body shop who had problems matching the white lexus pearl. Not easy to match.
My right fender was painted (previous owner) and every time after I wash the car you can see its a different color. It is noticably darker than the OEM paint. DPW is very hard to match. It bothers the hell out of me. I plan to get the car into a bodyshop in the next few weeks.
Old 06-11-07, 03:37 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

bay area
Old 06-11-07, 08:51 PM
mrhappi
Lead Lap

Great looking car, I like the combination of the wheels and the kit. Good choices!
Old 06-11-07, 11:19 PM
weezeeG35
Lead Lap

so sick! i love it...that rear bumper is way off
Old 06-11-07, 11:52 PM
tmex05
Pole Position

look good mang.. .what size wheels are u running?
Old 06-12-07, 09:49 AM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tmex05
look good mang.. .what size wheels are u running?

staggered 18s

As for paint I did let out steam for the color match and thats what i got, the first paint was lighter white and I had to yell at him for that, then he finally resprayed it and it came out like that. I rather wait save some good money and get it done at a better shop later. Im not as rich as some of you are so i cant really afford to fix it asap but it will be fixed at a later date, as for the car i love it and thanks for the opinions.
Old 06-12-07, 11:15 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Get 97 tails or red those out with a 94 wing and you will be killing the game. I can see that you are on pagemill road, very nice place.
Old 06-12-07, 11:34 AM
Duckness
Lead Lap

dont sweat it man.....its not that bad. im not as picky so imo it looks good as is. just enjoy it.

Quick Reply: AC kit Painted and Installed *Lots of Pics*