SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Get the hood made or go with Seibon?
Yes, Get The Hood Made!
25.81%
Go With Seibon OEM Hood!
74.19%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Do you like this hood? Help Me Decide!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 09:19 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say OEM.

~Josh
Old 06-12-07, 09:36 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With everything that you are planning cosmetically, it seems that the vented hood would flow with the theme more aesthetically. Make sure that it incorporates a rain guard or you may encounter a few issues. You mentioned that you were considering having it "made". Is this a special order? Unless you are getting a pretty significant discount, there are a few other vented hoods on the market that will cost less than a one-off product.
Old 06-12-07, 10:00 PM
dopsc
Driver

Vented CF painted.
Old 06-13-07, 01:03 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

Originally Posted by Harbinger
With everything that you are planning cosmetically, it seems that the vented hood would flow with the theme more aesthetically. Make sure that it incorporates a rain guard or you may encounter a few issues. You mentioned that you were considering having it "made". Is this a special order? Unless you are getting a pretty significant discount, there are a few other vented hoods on the market that will cost less than a one-off product.

Yes you are right, the hood will be made as a special product from a local company! They will make a mold of the original hood as they want to try some new things with the SC hood and I will be getting a protorype at half price or for free, sense I am giving them my hood to make a mold!!

I did not find a hood that looked OEM from the front when you looked at it. Varis, has a similar product but it's vent is huge and it has that ugly 1 inch lip on the hood! I want a hood that looks OEM but once you got to the side and behind it you could see the vent going in!! Also I will be getting a special mesh that is breathable but water resistant for the vent, also a prototype from the shop!!

If there are any other sites or companies that sell CF hoods with same dimesnions as the pic I posted, with rolled edges, UV protective coat, Strong Latch as OEM with no need of Hood Pins and durable at triple digits then please give me a link!
Old 06-13-07, 06:45 PM
booja
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont like CF hoods on SC's at all... maybe on a black car...

id get one for weight purposes and paint it
Old 06-25-07, 08:37 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

That sounds impressive. It seems like a hands down decision to go with the custom vented hood. Any word on when the company that you will be working with will be going to market with this. If the final product turns out to be as you describe, they should have no issues getting a few sales. So what was your final decision?
Old 06-25-07, 11:20 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

I talked with the company Boss and they already made the mold and are starting to play around with some ideas! The single vent that I requested as I thought some CL members might want to go with this hood rather then OEM cause it looks good dam sexy and is not as busy, is being made as we speak and I should get my hood I gave them for the mold back in 2 days so I can drive my car again! When I will get my prototype and when it will be marketed I dunno as this is classified and they wont give me that info!!

Here is an email i got of how the company makes there hoods;

1. One big piece, except on the scoops, this is the same as vis/seibon's
method.

2. Gelcoat uv resistant finish. (same as vis seibon)

3. Wrapped around skeleton? It curves around the edges as much as possible,
but not literally wrapped so it's on the underside. Skeleton is fiberglass.

4. the edges appear to be carbon , but the mold does seem on the edges.

In short , our hoods are very similar to the VIS / seibon ones, except they are made here in US now and not in China.

Also we have the ability to make them in fiberglass and different colors.

Last edited by TRDRacer; 06-25-07 at 11:28 PM.