SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC4 lip on SC3: how do i mount it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-07, 09:28 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default SC4 lip on SC3: how do i mount it?

does anyone know where exactly i have to drill into the bumper(measurements) to get the lip to fit because i dont want to end up drilling into the bumper and having it be the wrong place. i know its not too hard to figure out if i go spend some time measuring and stuff but i wanted to check here first. thanks guys
Old 06-12-07, 09:43 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know this also as I haven't looked at my bumper but have the lip and all the metal brackets. I removed it from the car it came from so I remember where it was on there but not sure if the holes and such are already there or not....
Old 06-12-07, 10:54 AM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

I dont think you should have to drill anything?
If its a 92-94 , and you have all the mounting hardware . It should bolt right up. ( 95-96 probably do as well but not 100% certain?)
*A word of advise* You may already be planning to do this anyhow. But dont cut any corners (Ive learned that to be the key with almost everything on these cars actually)
take the time to completely remove the bumper from the car first. Before you install it. It will go alot smoother , save you alot of stress , and even time in the long run.
-Good luck
Old 06-12-07, 10:57 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heres the ultimate answer. You're putting the lip on an SC300. They didn't come with the lip, so ie, they won't have the mounting tabs. This means you WILL HAVE TO drill holes to get it to stay on, or if you wanna go bobo, you can use zipties.....

If you are really good with fiberglass, you can mold it on, but most likely the easiest and most cost efficient will be drilling the holes to mount it on.
Old 06-12-07, 03:47 PM
417Soarer
Driver School Candidate

i put a 95 lip on my 93 bolted right up, even had holes for it no drilling
Old 06-12-07, 05:28 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put the lip on my 93 and i believe it had holes, but they weren't perfectly in the right spot. i don't remember drilling, but i don't remember the fitmet being perfect. basically theres no magic behind mounting a piece of plastic to a bumper. line up holes, if there aren't holes, make holes, then use whatever you want to make it stay together. i believe i used some type of body clips, or something along the lines of plastic rivets. but even a short bolt with 2 big washers and a nut would work. or, just buy a front bumper with the lip, lol
Old 06-13-07, 06:35 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

well mine is a 95 and it has all the holes except for two on each side of the bumper directly in front of the wheel towards the bottom of the bumper, these were the holes i was wondering about and was wondering if someone had already dealt with this problem and could share the measurements. i know how to put it on (drilling holes), i just wondered where to drill the holes. if anyone can answer this question please chime in, thanks.
Old 06-13-07, 06:49 AM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

well, you drill the holes where the holes on the lip piece are...... there are no measurments, you just, drill where the holes on the lip are, so, the holes line up.
Old 06-13-07, 11:24 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by SCwidaGTE
well, you drill the holes where the holes on the lip piece are...... there are no measurments, you just, drill where the holes on the lip are, so, the holes line up.
umm ok... i realize that but i cant hold the lip up to the bumper because of the bolts coming out of the lip. but apparently no one has the answer to this so nevermind, thanks for the help lol
Old 06-13-07, 05:46 PM
SCwidaGTE
Driver

your a little snippy, but, um, remove the bolts? take off your bumper, put it upside down, and just rest the lip on there after you remove the bolts........ "1jz by the end of the summer" but you can't work past mounting a 4 bolt lip onto your bumper??? good luck resoldering 140 wires and installing a motor.
Old 06-13-07, 08:03 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Heres the ultimate answer. You're putting the lip on an SC300. They didn't come with the lip, so ie, they won't have the mounting tabs. This means you WILL HAVE TO drill holes to get it to stay on, or if you wanna go bobo, you can use zipties.....

If you are really good with fiberglass, you can mold it on, but most likely the easiest and most cost efficient will be drilling the holes to mount it on.
HMMMM.??... I have a 93 SC300 and had bought a used OEM lip when i still had my stock bumper.
I DID NOT have to use a drill at all , Nor did i use any zip ties..... It bolted right on.
As i recall, I did use some double sided 3M tape though....
Old 06-13-07, 08:07 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CantSeeMe
HMMMM.??... I have a 93 SC300 and had bought a used OEM lip when i still had my stock bumper.
I DID NOT have to use a drill at all , Nor did i use any zip ties..... It bolted right on.
As i recall, I did use some double sided 3M tape though....
You're entire response is redundant upon itself.
It bolted right on.
As i recall, I did use some double sided 3M tape though
As far as i know thats not bolting on

Did you remove the bolts from the lip itself?
Old 06-13-07, 08:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Depends on what year. the 95+ certainly do not have mounting locations because there are tabs that hang down on a bumper that should have a lip, and also a seam that the lip sits under.

On the newer sc3 bumper there is not line (seam) for the bumper to line up to and there are no tabs, or holes if you will.
Old 06-13-07, 08:47 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jewcano
You're entire response is redundant upon itself.

As far as i know thats not bolting on

Did you remove the bolts from the lip itself?
When youre working with bodyparts, 3M 2 sided tape is your friend!
Since it isnt actually necessary to use the 3M. I would still consider this a bolt on affair.
Anyhow the double sided 3M tape was a tip i got from a body shop guy. And it seriously helps with installing kits, etc. (especially lips and sideskirts)
Old 06-13-07, 08:50 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Originally Posted by SCwidaGTE
good luck resoldering 140 wires and installing a motor.
soldering wires is one thing, it doesnt involve making anything look good, i dont want to drill holes in the wrong place and have to deal with getting a new bumper or having holes filled and repainted (bodywork and wiring are two completely different things). and really if you dont have anything helpful to contribute other that being a smartass, I'd really appreciate it if you didnt clutter up a thread where im trying to get some information/help on how to do something the right way first, i dont need to be told to "just drill theres no measuring involved", thank you

Quick Reply: SC4 lip on SC3: how do i mount it?