SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Counter Measures

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-01, 03:22 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Counter Measures

I know this arguement is going to go on for a while, but I have had quite a few conversations with cops/speed adicts. I followed their advice, and I will swear by it. The best radar detector is the Valentine 1, if used hand in hand with a Lidatek Laser Echo laser jamming system. These go hand in hand. The K40 diffuser system is good, but does not work well with road grime, insects, or other trash covering it. Drop the extra hundred bucks on the Echo. However, Lidatek stopped making the Echo to make room for a new and improved jammer. Several online retailers sell them. As for theft, alarms are not effective unless you spring for the high dollar sets with the starter kill. If you are in a polulated area or city, the Lo-Jack theft recovery system works well. The drawback is that you have to call in the theft to activate it. What it does is shuts down the vehicle wherever it is and police home in on a signal. Only works with lo-jack equipped cop cars though. In the end, nothing beats the Club as good old fashioned protection. Most car thieves will go on. It may make the difference.
Old 12-13-01, 04:15 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

...one snip on the steering wheel and the club has just be rendered useless..it may stop a "joy rider" (but then again, ignition killed equipped do the job also).

Trust me, don't waste your money on the 'club"...

Now the jammer sounds interesting!
Old 12-13-01, 07:00 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah good ole fashioned kill switches do the trick

have 2 or 3 fuel cut switches, ignition switches, fuel pump switches; and have them in a couple hidden spots... they won't drive off with the car
Old 12-13-01, 07:32 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever see one of those pedal locks? They go around the pedals so you end up pushing down on all pedals at once. I'm sure they are not impossible to saw through, but way down there on the floor would be much more hassle than the club on the steering wheel.
Old 12-13-01, 09:28 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Slick Lex Coupe
Did you ever see one of those pedal locks? They go around the pedals so you end up pushing down on all pedals at once. I'm sure they are not impossible to saw through, but way down there on the floor would be much more hassle than the club on the steering wheel.

Ya, the pedal lock is cool.

I've got a fuel pump cutoff switch, starter kill switch, a switch on the power wire of the cars ECU.

And if I *have* to leave the car somewhere i don't want to...i got another trick. If you've got an APEX'i S-AFC.....adjust your fuel curve. Add 50% fuel to the entire fuel curve, and set the low throttle point to 0%. The car won't start, and not many people will know to go in there and change settings....lol

I've also got LoJack, and I'm waiting on boomerang to get here from canada...that will be great.

The alarm I use is an overseas australian 2-way alarm. It's not licensed for the US, so all the us code scanners can't do anything against it. Plus it's two way, so it someone bumps my car the remote beeps and tells me.

I'm pretty particular about the security of my car. If someone steals it with all the things I've done, they deserve to have the car. Either that, or they read my post on here, and I'll have info to trace it back to them...LOL

SR
Old 12-13-01, 10:33 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the stock alarm :P
I don't usually go enough places where I consider myself a theft target. I heard that Lojack is a good idea, but I don't know what else I can really do.
As for avoiding the fuzz you have to really use your head.. look around. Radar is just a warning, the cop might already have you but what do you do after that? Well, considering the CHP cars run 17.5 in the 1/4 mile (Sears Point Top the Cops events RULE) if you can jet and he's at a stop, he's kinda screwed... same with cops going the other way.. the way they get me is pacing, which happened once.
The radio will get ya IF you stay on the road..
Old 12-13-01, 01:03 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
I've got the stock alarm :P
I don't usually go enough places where I consider myself a theft target. I heard that Lojack is a good idea, but I don't know what else I can really do.
As for avoiding the fuzz you have to really use your head.. look around. Radar is just a warning, the cop might already have you but what do you do after that? Well, considering the CHP cars run 17.5 in the 1/4 mile (Sears Point Top the Cops events RULE) if you can jet and he's at a stop, he's kinda screwed... same with cops going the other way.. the way they get me is pacing, which happened once.
The radio will get ya IF you stay on the road..
That factory alarm became a major pain in my *** when installing the new alarm. I would disarm the alarm, the doors would unlock...setting off the factory alarm :/ Finally figured out to wire it in elsewhere and it works.

Ya as for avoiding the fuzz....I've got a valentine one. I'm originally from VA where they're illegal, so mine just sits behind my seat in the floor...lol Even though I can use it here in Florida, the best defense it to pay attention. The last time I got a ticket by radar was quite a while ago, and I had my detector on. Basically it beeped, and that beep told me that they already had my speed...lol I hate gun radar

Pacing is how they usually get me, they have odd unmarked cars and follow far behind at high speed. No fair. They should all have to have blue lights on top...heh

My dads a state trooper, and I've ridden with him many times. Once someone went by in a friggin dodge shadow doing 130, he knew there was NO way he'd catch em...but he pulled out. Well the idiot slowed down to the speedlimit since he saw a cop...so he got his *** busted. If your on the open road you can usually get away if there's an exit nearby.

If youre in downtown ft lauderdale, forget it...lol THere's so many cops around, they put out a radio call, and in seconds they're swarming :/ And then you go to jail, without passing go.

SR