Clear side markers

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 12:00 AM
banking
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: I'm a believer......

Ikon,

Which lights do you need? I have several brands and sizes to choose from as well as color.

Originally posted by The Ikon
The lights look very nice as far as I can tell... I must try it as soon as I buy a set of lights from "Banking" just in case I mess up.

Thanks SCream.... Hey Wiz have you fabricated yours yet?
Old 01-08-02, 05:40 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm almost done with mine. Been REALLY busy with work.....lawyers....court.....moving into new place, etc. I should be able to have a how-to by the weekend, as long as I don't go to jail Thursday morning in court....LOL

SR
Old 01-09-02, 08:40 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck Wiz!!!
Old 01-09-02, 10:20 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

I made my test set about 3 weeks ago, you can't tell unless you get pretty close. overall pretty good IMO for the money like 11$ total. I asked ***************** if they could just make some lenses so I wouldn't have to send in the side markers but no. blah to that!

"Brian, thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not sell just the
lenses. Our products are sold in kits, as full conversions. If you cannot
send in your sidemarkers, try to find a set through the scrapyards or the
dealer. They arent too expensive. Overall, the finished sidemarker
conversion looks very factory and is sealed and pretty durable. Let me know
if you have any questions..

Regards,

Michael Mamos"
Attached Thumbnails Clear side markers-p1090304.jpg  
Old 01-10-02, 05:40 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Nice SDSC..

Hey, how close is "pretty close"? What problems did you have?
Old 01-10-02, 09:22 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by The Ikon
Nice SDSC..

Hey, how close is "pretty close"? What problems did you have?
I would say about a 1- 1 1/2 ft. you can kinda see where the silicone is holding the lens(around the outer edges). also I made mine the exact size that the old orange lens was witch leaves a small amount space. I would say make the new lens slightly larger and then file it down till it is perfect. which is what im working on now .. they look good but I want them to look better. I might also try something other than silicon to hold the lens?

Oh ya the orange lens would not come off either. And I had them in the oven to the point where I was about to damage them. So I just ended up breaking them off
Old 01-10-02, 03:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Damn you broke'em off? They appear to come apart like the head lights with a lil' heat and finesse... Go figure the lil lights would give you more trouble Thanks for the tip on the size equation...
Old 01-11-02, 09:00 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

ya unfortunately the Len wouldn't come off and I tried for over an hr. oven was at 200-250 and I was doing 5-6mins and nothin

anyways.. here is a close up and you can see the silicon .. this way my 1st try and pretty close to the size of the orange lens .. you can see a gap and I used silicon to hold the lens to the housing which doesn't quite appear clear.. well you can see.
Attached Thumbnails Clear side markers-clearmess.jpg  
Old 01-11-02, 09:08 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

my second try turned out much better, I used some model glue to primarily hold the lens to the housing instead of silicon., I only used the silicone (as little as I could) to seal the perimeter, also I filed the back of the lens so I could make better contact with the lens housing. oh the lens is also a little over sized too. ok ill shut up now.
Attached Thumbnails Clear side markers-clearsc.jpg  

Last edited by SDSC300; 01-11-02 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-11-02, 09:16 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SDSC300
my second try turned out much better, I used some model glue to primarily hold the lens to the housing instead of silicon., I only used the silicone (as little as I could) to seal the perimeter, also I filed the back of the lens so I could make better contact with the lens housing. on the lens is also a little over sized. ok ill shut up now.
The second one looks much better than the first attempt. You did a great job on that one. Don't shut up keep giving great tips...

***SCream what do you think of SDSC3 conversion? You guys have created a cheap and good looking mod!
Old 01-15-02, 11:20 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

***SCream what do you think of SDSC3 conversion? You guys have created a cheap and good looking mod!
I Think SDSC3 did a damn good job, especially on the second try. I did have one new idea regarding the home depot plastic not being OEM looking enough when I was visiting my parents. My little brothers car which is 94 maxima has these clear plastic lights in the bumper beneath the headlight which have a removable clear plastic lense. These are big enough to cut out the lense size we need and after checking with the dealer, they do just sell the lense for about $10. For now Im pretty happy with mine and they have made it through a couple of good snow days and a few rain days and the carwash without any leaks, shorts or any other complications. But maybe when it warms up around here I'll take them back out and redo them with the actual clear car lense material.
Old 01-15-02, 11:30 AM
Ali SC4
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Hey, SDSC3

Did you use the smooth side of the lens facing in or out, I cant rally tell from the pic.
Thx
Old 01-15-02, 11:52 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCream 400
My little brothers car which is 94 maxima has these clear plastic lights in the bumper beneath the headlight which have a removable clear plastic lense. These are big enough to cut out the lense size we need and after checking with the dealer, they do just sell the lense for about $10.
Thanks for the tip. You may have another great idea!
Old 01-15-02, 02:10 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Last edited by SDSC300; 01-15-02 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-15-02, 02:11 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

the side you see is the outside (smooth side) and I filed down the little spikes on the inside... I also have had no problems with mine, leaks or otherwise.. and mine actually do look very good I have to get right up to them before I can see that there not "real" ...

hey SCream I want to know more about the Markers with the plastic from the maxima is the plastic thicker?

also SCream thanks for the Idea

Quick Reply: Clear side markers