SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 06:59 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The aluminium intake and pod was not tested for fuel economy. Tested against stock standard intake on dyno.
BFI gave me the best fuel economy - sucking in hot air was terrible for economy.
When cruising with the BFI the the whole intake is charged, the restriction of the filter and AFM is completley negated - this will only happen with an airtight intake, cool breeze and heat shield types will not seal air intake. If you can see any gaps then it is not a sealed system.
Only a manometer will test if it is sealed and if the car gets enough air under full throttle - anything else is guessing.
You should get 2 inches of water pressure inside intake when rolling at 60 mph. This is the maximum possible.
You want to avoid any vacuum with wide open throttle.

The BFI could not be tested on dyno- the car is not moving - the dyno room fan is not sufficient. We have a guy over here with the new Apexi RevSpeed meter and g sensor - will attempt to measure before and after BFI on road performance.
Old 02-01-02, 11:47 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool.. post results once you get them!
Old 02-02-02, 12:54 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default weird day at the dyno..

I had my ECU re-tuned completely today. While having a lot of peak power is nice, the low end lacked. Chances are we're going to dyno again in a couple months when we find a way around the MAF issue.
The tuning before was nil till the car hit 5000 RPM. Also, the car was tuned on an older load-dyno, which isn't as precise as the DynoJet used at DSR. The effects were still the same, and the gains were awesome, but I stick to the "why stop there" kind of attitude. Now, the ECU upgrade itself does a 21-22 hp gain which is consistent over almost the whole power band. Some of the peak is lost, but the peak was at such a high RPM (look at the old graph) it more than makes up for it, and it's noticeably better than before on the street. I suppose that if we had close-ratio 6-speeds in our cars the original map would have been better for autocross and stuff like that.
I have to give props to Richard at DSR for explaining dyno technology to me. And props to that idiot in the Boxster S that I outran on the freeway today at 130 MPH, he risked his life to prove that his car was slower than mine
"If it's not done on a dynojet, it's not reliable."

One note- since the car is actually using less fuel (as much as 15%) I'm making almost 30 MPG.
Old 02-02-02, 04:46 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

1993 V8 beat all 1991 V8's at Dyno day stock and modified.

Barry gets 31.5 mpg after BFI'ing his 91 V8.
Aaron gets similar with his new extractors.

I also got improvement after BFI ' ing my car - new fuel pump also made a noticeable difference to top end and fuel economy. Old one run out of puff up top - didn't lean out though - ECU too smart for that.
Old 02-02-02, 05:27 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Originally posted by UZZ32
Anyone notice car goes better when cold? Car is very lean when warm low down in rev range, when the ECU thinks car is cold it makes mixtures richer for more punch -
Yes, using my crude G-Tech accelerometer, the results are consistantly on a decay as the number of runs I make doing 0-60 increase. My best time is always the first run and the worst times are always the last runs. I do 10 runs, 0-60, 5 in each direction to even things out. I let the engine come up to normal operating temp before starting the runs. I do have a cold air box, but it is not airtight. We are experiencing ambient temps here of about 40 degrees Farenheit this time of year, so that is pretty chilly when I do my runs. Gas mileage is up in the winter and with the new Apexi filter. Typical now for me over the last month with the Apexi is 24.7 MPG. Normal cruise speed is 68 MPH. The cooler weather and Apexi has boosted the MPG by .7 miles in the real world over a one month period. A statistical nit really, would not pass the T test at all. The performance is better, especially at higher RPMs.

ALso of note, in re-reading the Sportscar International 1993 Supra TT road test, they noted that the Supra had near absymal 1/4 mile times when runs were executed back to back. They said the car needed to cool down at least a half hour or more between runs to cool down the intake sensors.
Old 02-02-02, 05:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by UZZ32
1993 V8 beat all 1991 V8's at Dyno day stock and modified.

Barry gets 31.5 mpg after BFI'ing his 91 V8.
Aaron gets similar with his new extractors.
Wow...31.5mpg! On my little I6 I get about 12mpg. :/

Methinks it's running *plenty* rich.

SR
Old 02-02-02, 11:33 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Red93sc400

ALso of note, in re-reading the Sportscar International 1993 Supra TT road test, they noted that the Supra had near absymal 1/4 mile times when runs were executed back to back. They said the car needed to cool down at least a half hour or more between runs to cool down the intake sensors.
That's what the guys at the dyno shop said, and about our cars too. they try to tune for power at a reasonable consistent driving temperature. They have huge fans to help cool the cars down and prevent heat soaking. Most people don't realize how much cooling is provided by their car's cooling system and the air rushing by the car, so you run a car hard a couple times and you're way above normal.
I would get better mileage if I wasn't a leadfoot
Old 02-02-02, 01:13 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

Wow...31.5mpg! On my little I6 I get about 12mpg. :/

Methinks it's running *plenty* rich.

SR
So what do you guys think of HKS Twinpower? It comes with a harness for N/A Supra. My guess would be it's the same harness that would work on our cars. No?
Old 02-03-02, 02:28 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
So what do you guys think of HKS Twinpower? It comes with a harness for N/A Supra. My guess would be it's the same harness that would work on our cars. No?

Yep, it should be the same thing. I think Scott (SC300T) or some turbo guy here is getting ready to try one. I remember reading it somewhere. It may have even been earlier in this thread...lol

SR
Old 02-03-02, 05:33 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

Yep, it should be the same thing. I think Scott (SC300T) or some turbo guy here is getting ready to try one. I remember reading it somewhere. It may have even been earlier in this thread...lol

SR
It should be interesting. I can get a good deal from someone for it. So I am thinking about it. I just kind of wonder if the N/A Supra ECU harness/adaptor will work. It's extra for the adaptor.