SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-01, 01:13 PM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MadMax:
Hey. I have a question for you. It is about the ECU chip(S). Can you describe what the steps would be to install them (and I assume pull the old ones), assuming that the chip(s) have just arrived from Weapon-R. The assumption here is they are new chips.

Or, are we to send our current chips to Weapon-R?

I think it preferable to get all together new chips so I could have a fallback should something go wrong.

So, if you could, please describe what the process is and what tools if any would be needed to do the conversion.
Old 12-15-01, 01:28 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It's like installing an Apex'i SAFC, it just requires more wire taps and some patience. You may want to take it somewhere to have it installed, but if you're like me I prefer the hands-on approach to tuning. You do not need to send your ECU to Weapon-R, it's a true plug and play setup. If something did go wrong, all you have to do is plug the bypass plug into the chip's wiring harness and you're automatically back to your old ECU. This way if you upgrade something Weapon-R has tuned for, you can simply pull out the chip, plug in the bypass and mail the ECU to WR and drive your car while it's being tuned.
Old 12-15-01, 02:31 PM
tacshose
Rookie

This sounds amazing... Any ideas on when we can buy this?
Old 12-15-01, 03:54 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have 3 words for you...groupbuy!
Old 12-15-01, 04:32 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Will the after market torque convertor do less theh? the torque convertoer controls shifting right? so would the increae in shift on the weapon r chip lower the overall usefullness of an aftrmarket torque converter.
(basically what im asking is will the tourque convertor, with the chip still take off as much on ur 0-60 time as it would with the chip)

Jason
Old 12-15-01, 05:31 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

So you think it will cost around $700 just for the ECU madmax? What kind of exhaust are you going to use when they tune it for more power?

Wonder if the Greddy E-Manage would work with our cars? Its about $300 bux and adjusts (user adjustable) fuel maps and ignition timing.
Old 12-15-01, 05:33 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by the_ez_rhino
Will the after market torque convertor do less theh? the torque convertoer controls shifting right? so would the increae in shift on the weapon r chip lower the overall usefullness of an aftrmarket torque converter.
(basically what im asking is will the tourque convertor, with the chip still take off as much on ur 0-60 time as it would with the chip)

Jason
I dont think the shift points change with the TC (I could be wrong). The ECU tells the tranny to shift at a higher RPM. The TC is lighter (less rotating mass) and doesnt deal with the cpu. I dont believe that an ECU change would lessen the usefullness/power addition of the TC.
Old 12-15-01, 06:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's take a second to clear up some technical things here. The Intercrew ECU changes the shift points, as well as the shift firmness (which I assume is done through a computer-controlled increase in the transmission's line pressure, probably similar to the ECT switch, just to a higher extent). This will not negate the benefits of an aftermarket torque converter, who's function is to multiply the effective torque of the engine through hydraulic principles. A higher stall unit will allow the engine to come closer to the 'sweet spot' in the powerband, where torque is more abundant and a stronger launch can be realized. Since a higher stall unit will tend to generate more heat within the transmission, a firmer shift is desirable, since 'slip' between gear changes can create still more heat. The ECU and torque converter will go together like lamb and tuna fish (u prefer spagetti and meatball?) and will make a night and day difference, though I would still recommend an auxilliary trans cooler for peace of mind.
Old 12-15-01, 09:56 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
I have 3 words for you...groupbuy!
"group buy" is TWO WORDS!!!:eek:

That's a good idea Retro.
Old 12-16-01, 01:55 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm using a ghetto-*** exhaust setup that flows really well and is way too loud... The chip isn't gonna be that cheap matt.. prices will be reasonable, WR is good about that.
I've heard stories about the torque convertor upgrade screwing with the transmission- making it hunt for gears and causing odd behavior. Any truth to this?
Old 12-16-01, 06:39 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

The Weapon R ECU will be $1000
Old 12-16-01, 06:54 PM
tacshose
Rookie

When will it be available?
Old 12-16-01, 07:56 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

they didn't say when I was there, did you call them?
Old 12-16-01, 08:17 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

madmax...u talking to me or tacshose?
Old 12-16-01, 08:21 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

you Adam. What did they say?

Quick Reply: 38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...