SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 11:06 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
SC400 makes 180 rwhp stock? You're kidding me, right? My car made 177 rwhp stock. I have an SC300.
I believe the first gen Lexus SC series had the following specs:

SC400 250HP
SC300 225HP

Now if you compare the auto SC4 with the manual SC3 I think you should get around the same power at the rear wheels considering the loss from the tranny.
Old 01-03-02, 11:08 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the loss is terrible.. part of the reason I'm putting in a 6-speed this summer.
Old 01-03-02, 11:37 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Hmmmmmm

Harrier are you going to make an ECU for the SC430? Is this product in the making? With the success you seem to be having with the SC400 engine I can assume you could probably tune a SC430 up 45 horses. Being that people who buy the SC430 want to retain their warranty it will be easy for us to have a piggy back mod that we can bypass for warranty purposes.

I was thinking about maxing out my SC400 but now I am considering taking the money I would sink into the mods to put towards the SC430 instead. I admit that I am not completely used to the styling of the SC430 yet and I love the classic lines of the SC400 but I do not want to put too much into an old car.

However I might keep the SC400 as the daily driver.

Back to the SC400 mod:

Is it just the ECU that gives 38 HP? If not what other mods are needed to reach that figure.

Is that 38 RWHP, or HPat the crank?

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Hermosa; 01-03-02 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-02, 11:43 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Max, the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 provides excellent wet weather traction, and I had a set up to 137mph and they were still (relatively) stable. These are the same carcass as the Kumho Victoracer V700, and Pro Solo guys swear by those. They are also incredibly inexpensive, and provide nice off-the-line traction. The Michelin Pilot MXXV will certainly outhandle it at the limit, but everything is a trade-off I guess.
Lex I just got a set of these tires to try them out. I like them much better than the Pirelli 8000s I had before. The Pirelli were a softer ride but the tread was no good when wet.

I have a relatively stock SC400 and am getting great wet traction in turns but perhaps because I have been tweaking things in my car lately, my wheels dont completely hook up until I hit 45 miles per hour if I floor it when the road is wet. The feel is much akin to driving a motor boat. I do not attribute this to the tires really since I HAVE been tweaking with the car lately.
Old 01-07-02, 04:35 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Results?

So what were the results from the GS430 dyno.

Gimme gimme.

This might accelerate my plan to buy a SC430.
Old 01-28-02, 09:53 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

The post from hell is back again! looks like finally I'm going to get those final DSR dyno runs done on Friday- stay on the lookout for dyno charts!
Old 01-29-02, 03:23 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Looking forward to it Max.
Old 01-29-02, 04:17 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Hermosa

Lex I just got a set of these tires to try them out. I like them much better than the Pirelli 8000s I had before. The Pirelli were a softer ride but the tread was no good when wet.

I have a relatively stock SC400 and am getting great wet traction in turns but perhaps because I have been tweaking things in my car lately, my wheels dont completely hook up until I hit 45 miles per hour if I floor it when the road is wet. The feel is much akin to driving a motor boat. I do not attribute this to the tires really since I HAVE been tweaking with the car lately.
I'm running Kumho tires also, but I think they are *terrible* in the rain. EVERY time I leave the tollbooth, shift into 3rd gear, and hit the gas...the car starts going sideways if there was even a HINT of water on the road.

For anything with power, these tires are one of my worst votes on wet traction. Yet they perform amazingly well in dry weather, for the price!!

Just my take on them. I'm switching to BFG, per Jeff's (sc300turbo) awesome experience with them.

SR
Old 01-29-02, 07:16 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by CmputerWiz

I'm running Kumho tires also, but I think they are *terrible* in the rain. EVERY time I leave the tollbooth, shift into 3rd gear, and hit the gas...the car starts going sideways if there was even a HINT of water on the road.
I'll go side ways too with a speed demon driving me
Old 01-29-02, 08:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Wiz, i've found the Ecsta Supra 712 to be very adequate in the rain, I think you're problem is boost, not tread pattern, hehe. As far as the dry traction, they really are incredible for the money, I was very surprised. Haven't spun out on an exit ramp once with them, and that's a big testimonial from me, i'm sure you know what I mean. The BFG KD is supposed to be fannntastic, I know Jeff likes them. Steven, are you still drivin' her around? How's the progress since we last spoke? You guys have finally gotten to me, especially Jeff, I swear he's Satan with a wastegate, i'm stopping the mods on the SC4, and i'll start looking for an SC3 to replace it, Luthor v2.0 if ya like, to do a turbo project sometime in 2003 I guess. Hate you guys, and so does my girlfriend! She's still waitin' on that ring, maybe you should have your girl call her so they can comiserate.....
Old 01-29-02, 08:47 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Man I'm getting into these threads later and later. Saw we were having tire discussion and i thought I'd put my two cents in. Dunlop SP 8000. Best alll around tire I've ever owned. And believe me I've had the all. Lex, you avoiding me!!

Shane
Old 01-29-02, 11:08 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Kuhmo 712 Ecstas for me too - I wouldn't use anything else, they have won tyre comparison tests in Europe, fancy new silica compound, no problems, great control.
Old 01-30-02, 10:21 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Peter, did you know that the Ecsta 712 has the same carcass as the Victoracer? These tyres are a rare example of getting more than you pay for. Shane, not avoiding ya at all, matter of fact, I spent a couple hours ripping apart my receiver install, just so I could get the wire colours for ya, I posted it but I guess you missed it, but it seems to have helped a bunch of ppl anyway. Try to find it if you can, it's only a couple days old. Never tried the SP8000's, i'm usually using one of Mickey T's products, i'm sure you understand Shane. Peter, quick question, did you notice it took the ECU awhile to compensate for the additional air from intake mods? All I did to the intake so far was to remove the snorkel, but I seem to have a part-throttle bog now in second gear, and this is when I can hear it gulping air, no other time. I cleared the computer's memory before driving it, it seems to be getting better as it learns, but after 150 miles, I thought it would have dialed-in the proper mixture by now, any thoughts? I did Iridium plugs, synthetic motor oil and diff lube, caps, rotors, PCV, fuel filter, and coolant flush @ same time, but I see no way any of that could affect things.
Old 01-30-02, 04:46 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Every time I've messed with the intake,it has taken 2-3 days to adjust itself.
Old 01-30-02, 04:57 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Why is that?

What if you unplug the battery for over 30 min? Would this help?

Peter

Quick Reply: 38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...