SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02 | 06:49 PM
BadBtsz4u
Lead Lap

Wow, very impressive results.Now whats up with the ecu upgrade for the gs4.Is there one available.Would the numbers be comprable to that of the SC?Is there any dyno to show.I along with every gs owner would be veri interested in any feedback!
Old 01-31-02 | 06:02 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Lex, where can I read more about this Victoracer thing?

Removing the snorkel will not give you a part-throttle bog. There are two scenarios.
1st is that everything is fine and you are now just hearing the induction noise for the first time - taking off the snorkel for the first time you will notice the induction noise for sure.

2nd is that the first scenario has occurred. ( I doubt any of that other stuff you have done would make a difference - bit hard to tell from here)

As far as ECU reset goes we have done numerous tests on dyno and on road.
Quick ECU reset is pulling 30 amp EFI fuse under bonnet for more than 30 seconds.
More complete ECU reset is disconnect battery for more than 30 seconds.
Extra 2 kW (nearly 3hp) on dyno after battery disconnect.
ECU will adjust to hard driving quicker after reset, will readjust to lean cruise mode soon enough though. Will readjust after only 10 km.
After reset car will feel sluggish, then will get better, then return to normal.
Here is a typical graph that has been repeated again and again with both fuse and battery method.
Please give it a try yourself and tell me what you get - it is an easy test - I did it up a slight hill, then turned around and did test again from same place straight away - only pausing long enough to record time.
Attached Thumbnails 38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...-avefidisconnect.gif  
Old 01-31-02 | 06:21 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

With just an air filter and maf adapter. I would bogg a lil' off the line, but was great any other gears... The addition of a heat shield or cold air box help elimnate it. But once I added the intake pipe it was fine with or without the CAB/HS...

UZZ32 have you guys test an intake pipe with cone filter w/maf adapter? Or intake pipe w/stock air box?
Old 01-31-02 | 02:41 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

Here is a picture of the intake pipe tested. It was imported from Japan. Very rare to find "performance" parts fitted to V8's from Japan.
Driving the car with it fitted you would swear that the car had better throttle response. It was very loud. It looked very sexy. Everyone wanted it. Everyone said how much better it looked, and how much better it would flow and the driver said how much better the car was with it fitted and that it was "sweeeet" etc etc.

On the dyno it was worse than a stock airbox with stock intake pipe and new filter.

It was tested on two different cars.

No-one wants it now.

It is great for noise (I find it annoying), and looks great and doesn't do any harm except for letting in more dirt.

So if you don't care about dirt in your engine, want great looks, big noise and no performance increase this is what you do:
Attached Thumbnails 38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...-air-intake-and-pod.jpg  
Old 01-31-02 | 04:10 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Peter, you're a straight shooter, I respect that. Perhaps one day we'll get to meet in person, followed by some Aussie-style bareknuckle action and a few beers. After reviewing your data, I can't see how these aftermarket intake pipes can do a better job than the oe intake w/ resonant chamber, your ALSC dyno day results seem to prove so. I am definitely getting a low-speed bog, it's actually quite noticeable to me, but as the Ikon said, it's better in all the other gears. I disconnected the battery after the service, so it seems to be better after 200 miles of ECU learning, but still not 'right.' About the Kumho's Peter, i'll have to assume their site has some info about the Victoracer, a very respected autocross tyre that I learned about from a guy I used to work with who was real heavy into auto-X, until I annihilated his tricked-out Camaro with my worked T-Bird turbo coupe, at which point he told me he was giving up the auto-X to build a turbo car for the strip. Satisfying, to say the least. Ikon, you and me still on for Dec. 22? Hehe. Don't forget, Roy boy and Hopkins on the same card this weekend, I think they're fightin' in Miami, i'll PM you to talk sh#t after the fight.
Old 01-31-02 | 04:28 PM
cupete
Pole Position

So the bottom line is

Don't buy/build an intake for SC400?

What's so special about our cars which perform worse with aftermarket intake installed? Is that the main reason why I can't find (Other than WR intake) any aftermarket intake for SC400?

I've also experienced little hesitation in 1st gear with a K&N filter and aftermarket muffler, is there any fix for this?

Peter
Old 01-31-02 | 04:59 PM
SCV8
Instructor

The WR intake on it's own would most likely perform same as/worse than stock,it's the revised timing,and fuel maps,enrichment that make stuff like that work as intended.
Well,after much thought,and resistance,I hogged out the airbox on my SC.I made a 6-1/4",square opening, just behind the headlight,and starting right where the snorkel mounting tab is/was.In the opening,I fabbed up an aluminum "U" section to allow only outside air in as much as possible.It's a nice,tight fit,after a cardboard pattern trial.Looks cool too,very unobtrusive.
Old 01-31-02 | 05:23 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

F#ck obtrusive, how does it run?
Old 01-31-02 | 08:13 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Note that my car ran 186 WHP PRE-ECU upgrade, which is higher than others have (I've seen people report 177 or 178, the assumed baseline for me was 175 given mileage. The intake shown there is very much like the Rod Millen setup, with a K&N cone. When my car ran 186 it had a WR intake pipe, cold air box and V2 foam filter, a pair of Magnaflow mufflers and a larger catalytic convertor. Unfortunately at that point I didn't have the time or money to do pre-and post runs, as my intake was a one-off and at the time there was no intention of selling the intake to other people (hence no company support). My car started to get dynoed when I paid WR to do a custom upgrade to the ECU, and the result of that was all this.
I couldn't keep this one bottled up.. for so long everyone thought that the V8 was hopeless tuning-wise. I guess my goal here is a N/A SC400 that can make 13 second timeslips on the track. Then I'll feel that I've really gotten the car somewhere.
Old 01-31-02 | 09:25 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Satisfying, to say the least. Ikon, you and me still on for Dec. 22? Hehe. Don't forget, Roy boy and Hopkins on the same card this weekend, I think they're fightin' in Miami, i'll PM you to talk sh#t after the fight.
Cool.. Lex? WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR BOY Sugar Shane? Damn he got his *** kicked... I must give Vernon his props!!! I knew he was a good fighter, but damn he knocked off Super Man!!!

I'm positive that RRJ and Xman are going to win!!!

**What can we DO FOR BETTER FLOW in this damn V8 Lexus?!

**Peter did the intake get better mpg? Did you all test it with the stock air box? Or with your bfi set up?
Old 01-31-02 | 10:09 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

**What can we DO FOR BETTER FLOW in this damn V8 Lexus?!
MAF has gotta get bigger.. working on that. The intake manifold could use a port and polish, and headers are a must. Coupled with some mild cams and I'd make 400+ at the crank, no problem. Leo ported his old CRX's engine by hand and got like 30 some whp out of it, lol.
Old 01-31-02 | 10:55 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
MAF has gotta get bigger.. working on that. The intake manifold could use a port and polish, and headers are a must. Coupled with some mild cams and I'd make 400+ at the crank, no problem. Leo ported his old CRX's engine by hand and got like 30 some whp out of it, lol.
Whenever it is ready at a fair price, I'm sure SC owners will be knocking at your door...
Old 02-01-02 | 04:20 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Yeah, Ikon, Sugar ain't so sweet no mo. Funny, I told my girl (she's a boxing fan too, she knows more about boxing than most guys who call themselves 'fans' , she's says my right hook hits like a frozen turkey, hehe) that since Forrest beat Moseley in the Olympic Trials all that time ago, this was guaranteed to be a good one, but I didn't know it would go like that. Max, I agree with you and Leo 100%, that MAF is a major bottleneck, just look how much quicker the GM V8's got after they switched from mass-air to speed density metering. I'm tempted to start pulling the heads and intake and start porting, but I have to be honest with you two, Max and Ikon, i'm about to give up on the 1UZ. I am a great believer in the potential of the motor, but there's just not enough support out there, vendor wise and owner wise. Not enough guys like Leo and you two. I hope the progress of the new year proves me wrong, would love to see some forced induction or a stroker become a reasonable reality. A 30hp gain to the front wheels from porting a CRX head? That's practically monstrous. Aaah, maybe i'll just throw a fogger system on....
Old 02-01-02 | 05:20 PM
SCV8
Instructor

By unobtrusive I meant that it doesn't have any parts that normally get buried under your house sticking out of it anywhere.
I haven't driven it much since I did that,just around the neighborhood,it snowed here(one day)and they graveled the crap out of the interstate,which will take weeks to go away.
So for now I'm driving the beastly little Fiero with it's home depot intake,and peeling black original paint(that GM feeling)so I don't have to stress on the new paint getting trashed before it's fully cured.
I was on someones site who'd polished the intake manifold and ports;the increase was around 17-20 hp,with no other changes.
The car was turboed,but the porting was done before.
Old 02-01-02 | 06:47 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

You guys would be interested in "21st Centuary Performance" - get it from the AutoSpeed site.
Chapters devoted to our V8's,
- Porting the heads, colour photos, flow tests, instructions on before and after porting- what to do, what not to do, big improvements to flow and horsepower. Not general stuff either, they use the V8 1UZ-FE heads in the chapter - it is unreal. An absolute must.
- Camshaft modelling for the 1UZ-FE - the standard specs, the effect of retarding the cams, the best exhaust cam profile to lift hp from 260 to 300 on it's own. I can get the exhaust cams hardfaced to suggested specs for about $450 AUD - about $225 US.

Big gains from exhaust cams, head porting.

ECU is the a big gain too.

Intakes and exhausts are little gains compared to above.

The Karman Vortex Air Flow Meter on our cars is a big restriction compared to hot wire type Mass Air Flow meters. The internal LED on ours gives a frequency output, not a voltage output. Least resistant type is the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor, no restriction at all - not so good for smooth idle with wild cams though.

I would like to see an ECU piggy back that would accept the input from a MAP sensor , then we could dispense with the Karman Vortex AFM altogether.

For forced induction or hot cams a hot wire type AFM (like on later model V8's) would be best - can we adopt one with the ECU piggyback?

Anyone notice car goes better when cold? Car is very lean when warm low down in rev range, when the ECU thinks car is cold it makes mixtures richer for more punch - ECU upgrade can tune it out - or can we intercept the temp signal to ECU and make it switchable from inside car for better take-offs?

Quick Reply: 38 HORSEPOWER AND MORE TO COME!!! Dyno sheet attached...