SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1993 SC 400 225,000 miles... help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 10:48 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 1993 SC 400 225,000 miles... help!

I'm looking at a pretty bad condition 1993 Lexus SC 400 with 225,000 miles that's going for $3,200.

Condition:

Interior: The leather on the steering wheel is cracked and peeling. The front seats are somewhat cracked. And the rear seats are okay.

The lights on the dash are pretty dim...

Exterior: Front bumper was damaged and repainted with some low quality paint. The rest of the exterior is in okay condition. Car was in an accident. Don't know how bad it was.

The ride:

The engine runs pretty loud and not so smooth. I think it needs a tune up. The transmission has solid shifts, but not so smooth. And the suspension needs to be replaced immediately.

The truth is anyone with common sense would run from this car, but I have to say that I have been in love with this car since I was 14 and this is my first chance of owning one. I am 19 now and just started my first job. This is my chance to own the one car I've been dreaming about. But the thing is I know it won't live up to my expectations since it is in such bad condition.

So can anyone give some feedback? How low should I bring the owner down to? I was thinking $2,500. What will it cost to bring the "back to life"?

I'm thinking the first thing that is required is suspension replacement and engine tune up. Later on I would have to address the front bumper. And then the front seats and steering wheel. Also changing out the dash lights.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Engine tune up = $850

Suspension = $500+

Bumper replacement = $600+

Front leather seats = $600+

Steering wheel = $150

Total: $2,700+

So more than $2,700 for the major repairs. Worth it or not? Please add your input.

P.S. I know I am crazy for even considering this. One side of me is saying "" and the more logical side is saying "" On one hand I can have the car I always wanted, but on the other hand I'd be giving myself a guaranteed headache.
Old 06-23-07, 10:49 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

stick with the side that is saying
Old 06-23-07, 11:13 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already have another car, I would strongly suggest you be patient and find one in nicer condition. I didn't want to wait and as soon as I came across my first SC I picked it up for a decent price, but since then I've already spent almost half as much fixing it up as I did on the car. In the end it's up to you whether or not you want to put up with it. I knew what I was getting into beforehand but I kinda wanted to get the experience of restoring a car back to life anyway and thought this car was a great candidate. Plus there is so much to learn from this site it is amazing.

Believe me keep searching for another week or two.. try craigslist/auto trader/ajc/classifieds here; you will find a much nicer car that you can spend more time on modding than fixing up. And you will probably be much happier that you did! But really it's all up to you so if you really like the car than by all means get it.
Old 06-23-07, 11:29 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Be patient. Save about $5000, and find a nice one. You'll be glad you did.
Old 06-23-07, 11:52 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
I'm looking at a pretty bad condition 1993 Lexus SC 400 with 225,000 miles that's going for $3,200.

Condition:

Interior: The leather on the steering wheel is cracked and peeling. The front seats are somewhat cracked. And the rear seats are okay.

common for that year depends what you want to do with the car restore to original or mod out.

The lights on the dash are pretty dim...

$120
Exterior: Front bumper was damaged and repainted with some low quality paint. The rest of the exterior is in okay condition. Car was in an accident. Don't know how bad it was.

$100 for painted bumper

The ride:

The engine runs pretty loud and not so smooth. I think it needs a tune up. The transmission has solid shifts, but not so smooth. And the suspension needs to be replaced immediately.

Lucas oil change and tune up $350

The truth is anyone with common sense would run from this car, but I have to say that I have been in love with this car since I was 14 and this is my first chance of owning one. I am 19 now and just started my first job. This is my chance to own the one car I've been dreaming about. But the thing is I know it won't live up to my expectations since it is in such bad condition.

So can anyone give some feedback? How low should I bring the owner down to? I was thinking $2,500. What will it cost to bring the "back to life"?

$2000 would be a deal because of the unknown condition from the accident. if you can get that price cop it!

I'm thinking the first thing that is required is suspension replacement and engine tune up. Later on I would have to address the front bumper. And then the front seats and steering wheel. Also changing out the dash lights.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

Engine tune up = $850 too high, no need to go to Lexus, there are several places that will do it cheaper. Just make sure you get good wires and your choice of plugs (ie NGK)
Suspension = $500+ (depends on the future of the car...maybe higher)

Bumper replacement = $600+ ( anyone can sell you a bumper on here for cheap, I will have one for soon. You should get a pretty good paint for about $100

Front leather seats = $600+ ( we have a group buy for the seats (all four) for close to that price, you have to add a couple dollars for intallation. or there are members that sell there seats ie Aliga

Steering wheel = $150 possible mabe more

Total: $2,700+

So more than $2,700 for the major repairs. Worth it or not? Please add your input.

P.S. I know I am crazy for even considering this. One side of me is saying "" and the more logical side is saying "" On one hand I can have the car I always wanted, but on the other hand I'd be giving myself a guaranteed headache.
be real with yourself. if this is your only car... pump your brakes anddon't dive in. if you have something you drive while your car is getting fixed.. this car may have potential. These cars are old and things happen. it may take a year to go through the car to really see what you have. if you take your time you can learn more about the car and get things done for cheaper as well as do them yourself.
Old 06-24-07, 03:32 AM
pinto096
Driver

they forgot to mention the cost of lower control arms through the dealer 700+ each not installed can find a set new on ebay 785 for both and looking harder u will find just a little cheaper i bought an sc 300 with 207,00 was taken care of but needed a few things i bought a second parts car with 107k miloes with a complete drive train running for 650.00 thats where ill start my restoration, but they are right there are plenty of sc in this forum on craigs list and ebay that you especially at 19 can get with low milage and low headaches, i own a porsche 930 turbo and belive it or not the parts on the lexus are more expensive best of luck on your search be patient there is a car out there with you written all over it
Old 06-24-07, 12:19 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Dont do it. I would wait and save to get something better, but if you still want it i wouldnt pay more than a 1k for it.
Old 06-24-07, 12:36 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Yeah I don't think I'll buy that one. Probably will wait. There's actually another one I"m looking at with 180,000+ miles. It is a 1996 SC 400 and I think it was taken care of better than the 1993 that I was looking at. It is also pretty cheap at $4,600.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope I'll be able to find one before August.
Old 06-24-07, 04:59 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Okay so I test drove the 1996 SC 400 with 185,000 miles. Here's my impression of the car:

The interior: Leather all around is dry, but not cracked. Overall it is in good condition. Does need some cleaning in the carpets, but nothing major.

The 12 disc cd player is busted, but the speakers are okay.

The exterior:

It is in okay condition. It could use a wash and wax, but no major dents or dings.

The drive:

The car drives really well. The shifts were much less noticeable than the first SC 400 I drove. Also the engine is much more quiet. Only concern I have is the steering wheel vibrates slightly on acceleration. Mainly felt on the highway.

That's all i have time to tell now. I'll report back more in an hour or two. By the way the car is $4,500 or so.
Old 06-24-07, 05:17 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

I got my 97 SC3 blck/blck for 5k with less miles than that. Interior is in good condition, just rock chips here and there. Don't rush it.
-hass
Old 06-24-07, 05:34 PM
posterboi
Driver

I wouldn't do it personally. Sounds like you got too much going on there buddy. Do like the others have said and just be patient for now.
Old 06-24-07, 06:43 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Yeah I hear you guys... Hard to be patient because I've wanted this car for so long. But I will wait and see how it pans out.
Old 06-24-07, 06:55 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the second one doesn't sound so bad... upon closer inspection, you will probably find the driveline vibration related to trans and motor mounts getting worn...

in fact, it sounds like something I would buy as a second SC if I were to want one... just keep in mind the stuff you are going to want to do to it over time will probably come close to, or exceed the purchase price of the car... I'm pretty sure I've got as much invested in mine as I originally paid, and I am still planning a motor swap and more...
Old 06-24-07, 07:59 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Definitely just wait... you will find one.
Old 06-24-07, 10:33 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth any more than 1000. The costs you posted is for work done at a shop. DIY and save a bunch. BUT, like others have said, better deals can be found.

Quick Reply: 1993 SC 400 225,000 miles... help!