Broken Power Locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 02:41 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Broken Power Locks

Hi Everyone,

I've done many searches with the string "broken power lock" "keyless entry broke" and I haven't come up with the problem I am facing at the moment.

So then, when I use the power locks it neither locks or unlocks my drivers side. The only way to open the door is to: pull the outside handle, unlock manually with key, then open. If i skip the first step, the door does not unlock... peculiar.

Has anyone else had this problem? Through my searches, the closest fix seems to be either a replacement of the door actuator, or tightening the cable that pulls the door locks open/close.

Please give me some input!

Thanks!
Old 06-28-07, 03:31 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need the door lock actuator, 80 shipped.
Old 06-28-07, 07:55 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Could this be the same problem that I'm having? I have two issues with the power locks/keyless entry. Maybe they are unrelated. I don't have an aftermarket alarm or anything of the sort.

First issue: About half the time when I hit my keyless entry button the car will not give me the standard double-beep to unlock. I will hear the locks try to turn (it sounds like they unlock) then after about a second or two, they will go back to being locked. It's like there's a little hill they just can't get over.

Second issue: The passenger side door lock NEVER unlocks unless I use my key, or flip the lock with my finger. No manner of power lockery will unlock this.

My battery is less than 3 months old, and I had the ends of the cables replaced as the old ones were.... rigged to say the least. So I don't think the battery is lacking power or a way to move it around.
Old 06-29-07, 10:44 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

First issue: I drive a 93 sc300, I don't have a beeping keyless entry system. However, this problem differs from mine as mine twitches when I click the button as it wont turn completely over as if something is jamming it. Everytime i want to enter my car, I pull the door handle outside and it "unjams" allowing me to manually unlock again.

Any thoughts?

Originally Posted by The Danima
Could this be the same problem that I'm having? I have two issues with the power locks/keyless entry. Maybe they are unrelated. I don't have an aftermarket alarm or anything of the sort.

First issue: About half the time when I hit my keyless entry button the car will not give me the standard double-beep to unlock. I will hear the locks try to turn (it sounds like they unlock) then after about a second or two, they will go back to being locked. It's like there's a little hill they just can't get over.

Second issue: The passenger side door lock NEVER unlocks unless I use my key, or flip the lock with my finger. No manner of power lockery will unlock this.

My battery is less than 3 months old, and I had the ends of the cables replaced as the old ones were.... rigged to say the least. So I don't think the battery is lacking power or a way to move it around.
Old 06-29-07, 11:16 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

door actuator, that is the problem.
Old 06-29-07, 11:39 AM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aliga
I had the same problem, bought door actuator from Aliga. Problem solved.
Old 06-29-07, 11:45 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

Thanks for your help, what caused my actuator to break was the simultaneous occurrence of my pulling the cabin door handle to the open position, while my gf in the passenger locked the doors with the power locks. Something inside just went clack!

My question is to the strength of these actuators. If in fact, I replicate those series of events, should I expect them to fail every time? or was my actuator just on the fringe of failing?

Originally Posted by aliga
Old 06-29-07, 12:38 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by habitat
Thanks for your help, what caused my actuator to break was the simultaneous occurrence of my pulling the cabin door handle to the open position, while my gf in the passenger locked the doors with the power locks. Something inside just went clack!

My question is to the strength of these actuators. If in fact, I replicate those series of events, should I expect them to fail every time? or was my actuator just on the fringe of failing?
no clue, but expect to replace them at least once in your car, i have many customers buy these things, they are not bulletproof
Old 06-29-07, 02:41 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

How hard is the door actuator to replace? And will that fix the no-unlock issue or the passenger door lock issue? or both?
Old 06-29-07, 04:35 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Danima
How hard is the door actuator to replace? And will that fix the no-unlock issue or the passenger door lock issue? or both?
Not hard at all... probably 1 - 1.5 hour job... You'll need some Allen wrenches if I remember correctly. Goodluck!