SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I'm tempted to sell my SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 12:25 PM
sliva001
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm tempted to sell my SC

Eversince I've had this car its been non stop repairs. I kinda saved money by doing it my self but when will this end!?
The LCA ball joint popped out so I replaced both
Transmission solenoid #2 failure so no 2nd gear
Rear glass shattered replaced with soarer glass
Lost O/D gear so I'm doin 2k rpms at 50mph = bad gas milage
Power steering pump changed to new due to leak which killed the
Alternator (new) replaced
Starter replaced with a brand new unit
P/S rack leaks a bit
Then
A few days ago, my idle was at 3K rpms!!! UUgghhhh!!!!!

I love my car. I have done tons of modifications to it. But its becoming a money pit...
Wise to sell?

Last edited by sliva001; 07-04-07 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-04-07, 12:46 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Maintenance > Mods
-hass
Old 07-04-07, 12:47 PM
$C300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its pretty much the same for all of us, you have to remember that the car is 10+ years old, I don't think I have gone more then 2 weeks with out some kind of a problem but that’s the nature of the beast, but think about it, you making the car better, replacing stock parts with performance and after your done you will have a car that looks great and performs better. I know some time it might be overwhelming but for me anyway it’s a labor of love.
Old 07-04-07, 01:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I loved my SC too but part of the reason I sold is because of the thought of future repair costs. Since I always use the dealer, we're talking an expensive proposition. I miss her but I love the GS....and it has a warranty.
Old 07-04-07, 01:25 PM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

well If I remember correctly you did get that SC for a pretty good price? I would compare it to another car you wanted and I am sure you are still under the price for that car. For me I wanted a Supra. With all of the mods and repairs I still don't think I will reach the tab of a supra or a RX-7. Besides if you did all of the repairs correct you won't have to worry about them going bad again for a while. oh by the way Silva.... the car is looking sharp! I know you get those stares at least 5x's a week
Old 07-04-07, 02:12 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2k rpms at 50mph sounds about right because when I'm going 70mph I'm at around 3k rpms. Unless my OD gear is gone as well...
Old 07-04-07, 02:27 PM
convoy
Pole Position

i'm pretty sure you're going through what most of us are going through each day. it's just that people don't mention it. i kinda feel the same way you do but i remember considering all the maintenance issues i was gonna face before i bought the sc. you could purchase a newer car with warranty, save u some headaches... but u might miss wrenching on ur ride? or maybe not.
Old 07-04-07, 03:35 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

The LCA ball joint popped out so I replaced both - Age and wear

Transmission solenoid #2 failure so no 2nd gear - I have read of other early SC 400's with this problem. Happened to my car but the previous owner had it fixed.

Rear glass shattered replaced with soarer glass - Dont' know but that sucks. Your rear wiper is sick anyways... I would love to have one.

Lost O/D gear so I'm doin 2k rpms at 50mph = bad gas milage - Its an SC400... with its gearing, weight, V8 and a 4 speed auto they get bad mileage regardless.

Power steering pump changed to new due to leak - Common, but sucks. Previous owner of my car had this problem as well.

Alternator (new) replaced - My mechanic told me it was a standard Toyota alternator... when mine went it was pretty cheap to fix.

A few days ago, my idle was at 3K rpms!!! UUgghhhh!!!!! - Read your post. Don't know what to say about that one.

Ask yourself -- for the money can you do better than the SC? Personally theres no car I'd rather drive in the same price range. You say you love your car so keep it. They're old cars now... so things will start going with age and wear. I just feel sorry for how many of these problems you have had recently. Best of luck with your car and I hope you decide to keep it.
Old 07-04-07, 03:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, you don't have too far to go before you're driving a new car at this point, eh?

Owning a car is like playing poker.... you can get out while you are ahead, or you can keep making the repair list longer until you are "pot committed".

At this point, you are pot committed, call the all in.
Old 07-04-07, 04:11 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car just went in yesterday for repairs. Im getting coworkers and family telling me to buy a new(er) car, but I love the SC too much. Its getting a new water pump, drive belt, timing belt, seals and already has a new power steering pump and some other stuff Im forgetting. Bushings will be done hopefully soon and after that its mod time.
Old 07-05-07, 06:34 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc300max
2k rpms at 50mph sounds about right because when I'm going 70mph I'm at around 3k rpms. Unless my OD gear is gone as well...
yeah that sounds about right, at 70mph its a few notches short of 3
Old 07-05-07, 11:07 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

time for a jz swap dont sell her just do a motor swap instead of repairing a high milage v8
Old 07-05-07, 02:00 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

at least your crankshaft pulley didnt come out while your driving and parked and see it roll down the street :O i feel you sometimes i really want to sell my car but its such a part of my life that i cant sell my baby no matter howmuch i spend on it....especially since i cant mod the car by the extensive repairs needed for such a old car...but everyone feels different about their car.. keep it!
Old 07-05-07, 02:02 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thats what happens with old cars.. it comes with the territory
Old 07-05-07, 03:38 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It also probably has to do with how the car was treated since new. My car was owned by a Doc. and babied, now has 124,000 miles on a 95 sc400 and I have had no problems in 10,000 miles. I might nit-pick about small things, but only cause of a persuit of perfection.

Quick Reply: I'm tempted to sell my SC