SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Another 'buying SC' question(s)..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 01:46 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another 'buying SC' question(s)..

After reading VIP12's post about buying an SC I figured I'd ask you guys what you think about my situation. And here it goes..

So I've been wanting to buy an SC for more than a year now, and have been lurking around CL and occasionally posting. At first I thought I was going to end up with an SC400, but as I learned more about them I decided that what I really want is an SC300 5spd, as I want to mod it a bit (turbo, suspension, rims, 97 conversion kit were my plans), and its better on gas, etc etc. However, as I continued to learn more and more about SC's it became apparant that not only is a good 5spd really hard to find, its also a pretty pricey car, and as a full-time university student maybe an SC is not the best economic choice for me? So I started to look at other cars, namely the '95+ 240sx and '96-01 Audi 1.8T because they are both cheaper cars and way better on gas (to name a few things), and both easily modded. However, I know both have their problems, and for a few $$$'s more I can get a way better car in the SC (reliability wise anyways).
However, my dad has a small car dealership and he has a '95 SC400 which he's had problems selling. And he's always had concerns with selling it to me because of the expense of maintaining and running it. But the other day he approached me and offered it to me for cost-price. Initially I jumped on it because I've been looking for a car for over a year and I'm getting sick of having the money for a car, but no car. Also, the 240sx and A4's that I was looking for were difficult to find in my area. So I was going to purchase the SC tommorow.
But since he's offered it to me, I've been thinking... this entire time I want a car that I can mod. And I really really wanted a MT as I dont believe that a real modder should drive an AT. And because I've had such a horrible time finding a 5spd SC, or any of the other cars I'm interested in, should I just take the SC400? Or should I keep looking? Does anyone know of a relatively low km's 5spd SC anywhere on the west-coast (I'm in Vancouver but am willing to drive to so-Cal). Like I said, I've been looking but theres really nothing great out there, at least not that I've seen.
Thanx guys, any opinions, or suggestions on where to look are greatly appriciated.

PS: Unless someone says, or points me to something really worth considering I think I'll be posting again tommorow introducing you guys to my new SC400!

Last edited by scENFORCER; 07-05-07 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 02:45 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've kind of answered your own question. You want to mod, wait and find the right 5-speed or if you're impatient, go get the 240. It's way cheaper and more options to do mods.

I have the opposite approach to my car ('97 SC300 Auto). My car is 100% stock and I am going towards the Luxury/VIP route. No plans to race, no plans to drift, just want to enjoy the Lexus brand. The SC is fairly expensive when it comes to maintenance (if you don't do the labor yourself), not to mention the parts you would want when modding.
I've planned out what I wanted to do with my car. I estimate a max of $10k that I will be putting into my car in the next few years. I have an Excel file that I've been working on for the past few years. It includes different sheets for different cars with the "mods" that I would like to do to them. Again, this is painstaking research. After looking at the few cars on my list with the mods for each one including total cost. I decided on my Automatic SC300. Don't rush on getting a car, people usually regret it when they make hasty decisions.
Old 07-05-07, 05:59 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Get the 400. If you're getting a deal and if you don't like the car down the road; you should have no problem getting your money back or taking a small loss WCS if/when you sell it.

That way you can get your SC feet wet and see what you like.

Better yet, test drive it for a day or two and see how you like it. The more you drive it, the more you'll know whether or not it's the right car for you. Don't forget how long this car can last if you treat it right.

Sitting around with car money and no car = go for it!

Don't forget, if you REALLY want manual, it's not impossible to convert.
Old 07-05-07, 06:11 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

I was in the same situation before I bought my 93 5spd SC300. My only criterion was RWD, Manual, and Japanese.

I concluded that:
  • finding an unmolested 240sx was a very hard task as drifting is now ever kids dream
  • An FC RX-7 had way too many electrical problems even before your apex seal fried
  • MR2 = High insurance premiums

So what I found was a 93 SC300 5spd with 195,000 on the odo and a newer than 195,000 mile clutch for about 5.5k.
So far, just for maintenance, I've replaced all the fluids, cap+rotor+wires+plugs, 1 set of brake rotors + pads and a blown radiator (due to a faulty Heater control valve unit) for a total of about $1,000.00
Although I feel the car is too heavy and underpowered, for a 5-6k car that is reliable and offers all the creature comforts. I felt it was a very good buy.

Like I saw in another post: MAINTENANCE>MODDING

Bottom line:
I can't stand to drive an automatic transmission, so if I were you, I'd hold out for the 5 spd. But try your best to find a MY95+!

Last edited by habitat; 07-05-07 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-05-07, 09:35 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

test drive it and if you don't like it you can always give it back to your dad
Old 07-06-07, 01:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanx for your input guys. What I was really looking for was if someone knew of a good 5spd for sale somewhere, but I guess not. Either way I decided to buy the SC400!! ...I have it now, I'll just take some pics, upload them and introduce myself and the car properly in a new thread!