SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

UK-US shipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-07 | 10:02 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Default UK-US shipping

so i found this website of a few soarers for sale and i had a couple questions..my friends interested lol is it legal in the us to drive right hand side? and what kind of shiping would she have to pay to get it shipped the the us?
Old 07-09-07 | 10:17 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

no, no, no, no, no, no.... and all the others no's to the rest of the questions coming just like in the last thread we had on this, still no and always will be no.

Bad idea.
Old 07-09-07 | 10:24 AM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

Well you can make it legal. Is it worth it. no.... you'll pay at least 3 grand to get it here. Thats if you actually find a reputable company that specializes in bringing cars over. You can't just surf ebay UK and buy a car. Customs is a *****. you'll basically have to put the car back together. You would have to have the cars entire paperwork and history. Just google search rhd cars or something. be prepared to pay at least 15 grand or more for a real soarer. most local laws won't allow rhd cars anyway. So it may be a complete waste of time.
Old 07-09-07 | 10:54 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by UTSC300
Well you can make it legal. Is it worth it. no.... you'll pay at least 3 grand to get it here. Thats if you actually find a reputable company that specializes in bringing cars over. You can't just surf ebay UK and buy a car. Customs is a *****. you'll basically have to put the car back together. You would have to have the cars entire paperwork and history. Just google search rhd cars or something. be prepared to pay at least 15 grand or more for a real soarer. most local laws won't allow rhd cars anyway. So it may be a complete waste of time.

Pretty incorrect.

There are no laws that state the car cannot be RHD. Doesn't matter one bit what side you sit on. The issue is safety testing, restraint systems, and emissions controls. Foreign vehicles DO NOT meet the US requirements. Yes, you can in fact pay a company to import the vehicle for you and upgrade the car to the current US standards. It WILL cost a bundle. Take a look at http://www.motorex.net/pricing.html to get an idea of what's involved converting a Skyline to US specs.

And the idea of dismantling and "re-assembling" the car?????? Go ahead, try it. Then try to get it registered and insured. Will never happen.
Old 07-09-07 | 12:08 PM
UTSC300
Lead Lap

ok .. law may not state it, but i have seen documents that state that the crash test from a rhd and lhd can differ even if it is the same car so you will have a hell of a time through the dmv and the highway patrol. argue with me or not we all know its not worth the effort to try and bring one here. Unless you roll with some serious cash. And i'm not talkin about someone here dismantling the car. I'm talkin about there in the original country. They will completely strip your car to look for contraband. Happened to my friends EF8 crx Sir. His car showed up stripped in vancouver and all of the seats to the dash in a box in the same container. and he was told customs tore it down for contraband reasons.