SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 12:47 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Absolutely, Having the steering column go through your neck and possibly paralyzing you from the neck down is waaaay better.
And think of all the hotties, that are going to have to wash you, and wipe yer butt.

Some of you might remember my Christmas Day accident in Florida. Hydroplaned and into a wall of dirt at 70. I would have been dead or worse, if it wasn't for those airbags. Yes I hurt for a while. Yes I was bruised, but I'm fine...Walking, wiping my own butt, and without the face of Sloth.

Sloth removed his airbag...Now Sloth hangs with a dude named "Chunk"
hahahahahahahha... "sloth love chunk."
Old 07-12-07, 01:45 AM
raSCal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted
Um first of all you trust our government? haha. Another thing is srs is partially propaganda, do you believe everything your told? Why would your face be hitting the wheel or the dashboard if you have a seatbelt or harness on properly? I personally have been hurt by an air bag, they cause wrecks when they deploy randomly because you bottom out.

Air bags should be a choice, air bags in some cases have killed people and ruined others lives. I'm not saying they don't save people, but it should be a choice. Anyway how many air bags have you guys set off for study, i have deployed dozens but what would i know? I had a friend just last week that had his head split open by his airbag when he wasnt even near the steering wheel.

Whatever be fed what the oem tells you and dont form your own assumptions...

I agree with this assertion solely in the Darwinian sense.

Last edited by raSCal; 07-12-07 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-12-07, 02:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Member1115
Hey... "F" Red Foreman whomever he is and "F" whomever shares his so called, unasked for opinion of me!!!
Welcome to CL. If you feel you are antagonized in a thread write a moderator, do not respond back.
Old 07-12-07, 06:01 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

my mom has the airbags disabled in her car because she is 4' 11" and its more dangerous to have them working (kinda the same thing about not letting little kids near the front seats cause the bag will do more harm than good). the first day i had my licence some dumbass from school decided it would be a good idea to drive down the wrong side of the road and hit my moms car in it and slammed me into a jeep in front of me, im pretty happy the airbags didnt go off because if they had her car would have been totalled, i would have been in pain, and i would have gotten yelled at for totalling her car even though it wasnt my fault
Old 07-12-07, 01:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Absolutely, Having the steering column go through your neck and possibly paralyzing you from the neck down is waaaay better.
And think of all the hotties, that are going to have to wash you, and wipe yer butt.

Some of you might remember my Christmas Day accident in Florida. Hydroplaned and into a wall of dirt at 70. I would have been dead or worse, if it wasn't for those airbags. Yes I hurt for a while. Yes I was bruised, but I'm fine...Walking, wiping my own butt, and without the face of Sloth.

Sloth removed his airbag...Now Sloth hangs with a dude named "Chunk"
Steering columns haven't gone through anyone's neck in nearly half a century. It amazes me how people just don't get the fundamental concept of why airbags are a loser. Any safety engineer will tell you "NEVER add energy to a collision." But what does an airbag do? It punches you in the face. Very hard. Georgia Tech statisticians Mary C. Meyer and Tremika Finney have reasonably proved you are MORE LIKELY to be injured or killed in a car with airbags than a car without airbags. This is my direct empirical experience when my ex drove my '94 TT Supra into a wall at 60 mph. The airbags beat her up severely. My friends joked about the bruises on her face wondering if they were from the accident or if I inflicted the wounds because she was driving like an idiot. She was properly belted, properly positioned, and 5' 5" tall, but still suffered wounds she would not have had if there were no airbags in the car.

People who believe airbags are good are just proving they don't want to accept that something our government believes is safe really isn't.

And neuro - that picture is more likely a result of being smacked in the face with an exploding airbag than anything else. If you'd seen what they do first hand, you would not be so impressed.

If you want to remove the airbag from your SC, I say rock on. You have no choice but to do it yourself and there are plenty of guides for doing this on a number of Supra sites, just search for installing an aftermarket steering wheel. Also, be sure you have good belts (they should be replaced at least every 10 years), and if you decide to put in 4, 5, or 6 point harnesses remember they too will kill you in a roll if you don't have a roll bar. There are lots and lots of MkIV Supra owners who have done this to install aftermarket steering wheels. There are even adapters that allow you to keep your cruise control switch. Don't let the uninformed change your mind...airbags are the next thing on my list to remove from my Supra.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-12-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 02:13 PM
ramblux
Rookie

I love how people talk crap about someone wanting to remove an airbag in this thread, but don't say anything to the dude in the "Going 150 is fun thread" about speeding.
Old 07-12-07, 02:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is my direct empirical experience when my ex drove my '94 TT Supra into a wall at 60 mph. The airbags beat her up severely. My friends joked about the bruises on her face wondering if they were from the accident or if I inflicted the wounds because she was driving like an idiot. She was properly belted, properly positioned, and 5' 5" tall, but still suffered wounds she would not have had if there were no airbags in the car.

Don't let the uninformed change your mind...airbags are the next thing on my list to remove from my Supra.
wow, you say uninformed....

imagine the whiplash involved had your ex not had an airbag... I'd rather have some bruising than a sudden stop...

an airbag is designed to add a cushion to soften the blow and limit travel, in a similar way as to a HANS device is used in all forms of racing... limiting neck and head movement is crucial as well as softening any impact to the head and neck area...
Old 07-12-07, 02:36 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ramblux
I love how people talk crap about someone wanting to remove an airbag in this thread, but don't say anything to the dude in the "Going 150 is fun thread" about speeding.
speed is relative.... I've driven numerous cars at 150mph and above, both on the street and on the track... I personally don't see it as being a whole lot more dangerous than everyday driving, so long as conditions are suitable - away from other vehicles, dry, on familiar roads, etc (away from cops is important too)

sure, if something were to happen, it would hurt a lot more, however to me it's a whole different deal than defeating a safety net... it's kinda like taking the hans device off a nascar driver - you know you are risking your life, but lets at least be as safe as possible when doing so...
Old 07-12-07, 03:29 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

People who believe airbags are good are just proving they don't want to accept that something our government believes is safe really isn't.
Oh my god your right, what was I thinking?!?! I'm going to go pull my airbag tonight...Then I'm going to see a therapist about my state of denial with the government....Please, There are just as many cases where the airbag helped as there is non-help. I just think taking out something that is supposed to (possibly help) in an accident is stupid....I guess I'm a in-denial idiot for thinking that they might work...ya got me.

And neuro - that picture is more likely a result of being smacked in the face with an exploding airbag than anything else. If you'd seen what they do first hand, you would not be so impressed.
Ahhh...yeeeaah. That picture was a joke...You know? haa haa haaaa?
And your absolutely right, after 7 years in the medical field, I have never seen anything first hand.....

I have seen people with broken Cheek bones, Noses, Orbital sockets, Skull fractures...And yes, we could say that it was from the airbag...Or we could say it was from the, oh.....The Sudden Stop of the vehicle while the occupants are still moving forward.

I have myself, and friends that are alive and fine, because of airbags. You don't want them, take em out.

Last edited by neurocity; 07-12-07 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 04:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Sarcasm does not make your opinion sound any more convincing. I can count deaths and injuries directly attributable to airbags and nothing more. Those are victims who didn't live because of an airbag and there is no question even from the experts. You can't show me a single statistic that proves beyond a doubt than an airbag saved a life.

Read the sticker on your visor. It says AIR BAGS CAN KILL. There is a reason that sticker is there. It indemnifies the manufacturer should the airbag kill someone.

Airbags should be OPTIONAL. Seat belts should be mandatory. And natural selection will decide if you should wear your seat belt or not.

I would not ask a medical professional about airbags anymore than I would ask someone in a body shop to tell me which cars are safest. You see the worst of it. You don't see the entire population. Only those who need medical attention. Dead people rarely need anything from a trauma center and that's what we're discussing. Probability of death with and without airbags. According to the NHSTA, the people led by Joan Claybrook et al who made airbags mandatory, airbags are the greatest thing since sliced bread. According to the statisticians at Tech, they are not.

Believe what you like, but surely I am no more idiotic than you are. I have examined the statistics, the studies, the engineering, and the first hand results. I think airbags have been a complete waste of money, and far more lives could have been saved with an investment (in the Billions of dollars now) on other technologies like my favorite DRIVER TRAINING so people can learn to AVOID accidents in the first place.

Leonard Evans view of airbags

Another well stated point by Dr. Evans.

Originally Posted by Leonard Evans credentials
Leonard Evans is an internationally-renowned traffic safety expert who holds a doctorate in physics from Oxford University, England. He has presented invited traffic-safety lectures in 29 countries. His 160 publications include Traffic Safety (2004) and his distinctly different earlier book Traffic Safety and the Driver (1991). His research has appeared in 46 different technical journals.

Dr. Evans has received many recognitions, including awards from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the International Association for Accident and Traffic Medicine, the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and General Motors.

He has been president of the International Traffic Medicine Association and the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. He is president of Science Serving Society, a one-man organization he formed in 2000 to continue research and other professional activities after completing a 33-year research career with GM.

Dr. Evans was a Sigma Xi Distinguished Lecturer (2001-2), and recipient of the Society of Automotive Engineer’s Lloyd L. Withrow Distinguished Speaker Award (2005, and also 2006). He is a fellow of the SAE, a fellow of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, a fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
Loyola University says airbags can kill.

Excerpt from here:
Originally Posted by Engineering Info Online
The Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Louisville and the Kentucky Medical Examiner’s Office have been conducting an on-going study for the past 10 years to identify injuries from airbags deployment. Their study has irrefutably indicated that an automobile occupant in close proximity to a deploying airbag can sustain severe airbag injuries such as traumatic amputation of fingers, hands and forearms, pulverized compound fractures of the forearms and fractures of the upper arms,and even death. These airbag injuries and possible death can occur no matter what the speed of the vehicle is. These airbag injuries occur not only from the rapid forceful deploment of the airbag itself, but from the rigid airbag cover which splits open, or sometimes just blows off when the airbag deploys.
Attorneys are suing and winning!

A fairly complete explanation of my views.

I could go on and on about the politics behind airbag inclusion on all new vehicles, but much like my current career in Information Security, it is politics that determine solutions, not engineering or testing. Maybe being in the medical field has isolated you from how products are conceived, developed, and foisted on the public, but I have a very clear view of how and why it works. It's only rarely engineering superiority that wins.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-12-07 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 04:24 PM
ramblux
Rookie

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
speed is relative.... I've driven numerous cars at 150mph and above, both on the street and on the track... I personally don't see it as being a whole lot more dangerous than everyday driving, so long as conditions are suitable - away from other vehicles, dry, on familiar roads, etc (away from cops is important too)

sure, if something were to happen, it would hurt a lot more, however to me it's a whole different deal than defeating a safety net... it's kinda like taking the hans device off a nascar driver - you know you are risking your life, but lets at least be as safe as possible when doing so...
At least with pulling the airbag you're only endangering your own life rather than that of others.
Old 07-12-07, 04:36 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Believe what you like
Good, agree to disagree.

My personal experience, from Christmas day. Without the airbags going off, My mother and I would have been dead. The force of the impact turned the engine sideways in the bay.

The airbag in the new Mustang was much softer then the airbag in the 92 Camaro. So the auto manufacturers are doing something to improve the way they work.

My mother promptly went out and got an 07' Avalon...because it had soooo many airbags.

(And my sarcasm, is just the way I am, sorry.)
You know these guys are loving, seeing two mods going at it.

Last edited by neurocity; 07-12-07 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 05:09 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ramblux
At least with pulling the airbag you're only endangering your own life rather than that of others.
maybe you missed the part that said under suitable conditions, and away from others?

at any rate, I just read the whole http://www.luhs.org/depts/injprev/Tr...lp%20Or%20Harm site and all I can find is injury stuff related to kids 12 and under, which we have always known all along - they sit too close to things and for an airbag to work properly it has to be fully inflated by the time your body gets to it...

so, it seems as though they agree with everyone elses stance that airbags are safe when utilized properly...
Old 07-12-07, 05:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I was in a '63 Ford Falcon which had no seatbelts. I looked for them when I got in the car because my dad told me to always wear them. We were traveling 35 mph when a '72 Impala failed to negotiate a turn (driver was intoxicated). He hit us at 75 mph, so combined impact was about 110, but the weight seriously favored the Impala.

The engine was knocked out from the front and went underneath to the back of the car behind the bumper. Completely gone from the front. No one died. Injuries were significant but only life threatening for my sister sitting in the middle because she broke off the rear view with her forehead and sliced her head wide open. She also broke her nose. Injuries were significant for all in the front and minor for those in the back. If lap belts had been available, none of us would have sustained serious injuries because they would have prevented us from hitting the things we hit. Had lap belts and shoulder belts been available we would have walked away and marveled the wreckage.

So, I don't buy the argument that I need an explosive device in front of me to protect me.

Finally, I noticed on a recent round trip from Atlanta to New York City that an alarming number of passengers had their feet propped up on the dash. I bet they don't know they'd likely lose their feet if the airbag deployed. If you are "out of position" your odds of death or injury rise geometrically. How many real people are "in position" for these devices to work correctly?

Again, I suggest real world results do not agree with the NHSTA's assessment. They have a vested interest in being "right." I would not trust them any more than any other used car salesman because they are so deeply committed to being correct.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-12-07 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 05:42 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Damn Lance....You really hate Airbags.

Quick Reply: I dont want my airbag... can I remove it?