SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Hub Centric, Bore, and Gun Metal...???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 11:59 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hub Centric, Bore, and Gun Metal...???

Hey guys. I came up on an 2 awesome opportunities regarding some new shoes for my white SC4. However, though I have verified that the bolt pattern (5 x 114.3) is a match to the SC4's bolt pattern on both sets, I was informed that I should also watch out for something called either Hub Centric or Bore and to make sure they are a match/fit. Though I have done my research a bit, and I even hit up the sticky for Tire and Wheel fitment guide, no real info was found.

I have the following situation, as previously mentioned, I have the opportunity to come up on an awesome deal on either of two sets. One of the sets comes from a 350z and the other comes off of an 06 Civic. Regarding this "hub centric and/or bore" issue, which of these two sets is a better fit and why? What negative results if any come from one over the other?

Some possible key notes on the situation are regarding both sets are: both are same size staggered set up (18x8.5 & 18x9.5), not sure on offset on either one (is there a way to get that easily with a measuring tape?), and I personally favor the ones on the Civic since they have approx. 100 miles on both wheels and tires. Tire sizes on both are 235/45/18 & 265/35/18. As for my car... suspension and fenders are bone stock.

As for gun metal... I have looked and looked at the images and pictures and have not found a pearl white SC on gun metal wheels. Anyone have this combo? If so, could you post some pics... im curious to see what that might look like. Or if anyone has some personal comments regarding this match, I would greatly appreciate that too. Positive or negative... its all good on this one.

As always... thanks in advance to you guys for your help and support.
Old 07-17-07, 02:21 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would a civic have a staggered setup like that? Anyways, you can just use some hubcentric rings if you are mounting aftermarket wheels. For the offset, look for some stickers or print on the inside of the wheel that might tell you the offsets.
Old 07-17-07, 09:06 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

LOL.... I agree with that too... "why would a Civic go with the staggered look?" Anyways... I guess thats why he wants to get rid of them. Like I said... he has less than 100 miles on them, and they look it too.

Thanks for the tip on where to find the offset.

Hmmm.... if I recall, a higher number offset means the center of the rim is more in line with the outer edge of the rim. A lower number offset means the center of the rim is "sunk" in further from the outer edge of the rim. Right? And if I also recall a +38 is the "deepest" we can go on a 9.5 width wheel?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-07, 09:44 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Member1115
Hmmm.... if I recall, a higher number offset means the center of the rim is more in line with the outer edge of the rim. A lower number offset means the center of the rim is "sunk" in further from the outer edge of the rim. Right? And if I also recall a +38 is the "deepest" we can go on a 9.5 width wheel?
No offense: your concept of offset is horrible.

Higher offsets (our factory wheels @ +50) mean the wheel is more towards the middle of the vehicle (ie. sunk in). Lower offsets (aftermarket wheels @ +25) mean the wheel is more towards the outside of the vehicle (ie. flush).

A 265 wide tire on an 18x9.5 should be able to fit inside the fender at offsets as low as +25, if you have rolled fenders. If you fenders are not rolled, +40 would be a proper number.

Theoretically, that same wheel could be run at around a +55 offset and still clear the suspension in the rear; but, the wheel would be so sunk in that it would look like crap.

Hondas are designed with very small wheel wells that are very near the center of the vehicle in relation to other automakers. Be very careful about the offset on these wheels. I have seen Honda guys with +60 offsets so that they can fit wide wheel and tires within the wheel well. No only would an offset this high look like hell on our cars, but it may not even supply enough inner clearance to avoid rubbing with the suspension.

The offset of these wheels would make or break the deal.
Old 07-17-07, 10:31 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

So my concept of offset is horrible eh?!?!? LOL... give me a break... im just learning here. For the record... no offense taken... I too agree with you on that.

Hey... thanks for the info in regards to what the proper offset number to go with would be. Most helpful indeed.

Though I had not thought about it, your theory on Honda wheel wells and wide wheels make perfect sense. I will definately have to strongly focus on the offset factor then; moreso than the hub centric issue which seems to be an easy fix with the info that SC300Max filled me in on regarding rings.

Thanks again Blizzy!!!