SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Rubbing on my SC4... (LOL... not physically though)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-07, 12:34 PM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rubbing on my SC4... (LOL... not physically though)!!!

This might be a very stupid question, but nevertheless I'll ask. What is going to happen, and more importantly, how soon will it happen if my back tires continue to rub on the inside fender lip? Its not even a full fender rub, but more like 1.5 inches at most.

I just got some new wheels and tires on it (18's ) and there is a perfect flush look with tire to fender, but everytime I hit a dip (not bump) I hear the back end tires rub the fender. Which by the way... is there a fix to that? My springs seem to sag. How long are OEM springs supposed to last or hold proper resistance? Is there anything that can be done to increase the resistance?

Once again... thanks to all in advance for you input.
Old 07-19-07, 12:56 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Search for proper wheel fitments here on this site. You will also find info on how the accomodate for this!

2. No way to increase resistance in old springs. Get new ones.

3. Rolling your fenders is one way to deal with the rubbing.

4. Continued rubbing and you'll be doing the truffle shuffle down the middle of the highway after your tire blows out!
Old 07-19-07, 01:41 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol @ title

i experienced the same thing. itll just eat away at the tire.. its not gonna damage the fender if thats what youre worried about

some negative camber or a smaller tire will fix it. or shave the fender lining down - which would be cheaper than getting new tires
Old 07-19-07, 04:44 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have not rolled your fenders, that would be the easiest way to solve the problem.
Old 07-20-07, 09:10 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

Thanks for the input guys. However, now Im curious about a few things:

1. If I cut that 1 to 1.5 in. off of the inside fender lip that rubs as opposed to rolling the fender, would it be very detrimental? I read somewhere on here that it severly weakens the fenders metal and you start to develop that warped effect after a while, but not sure if that happens only if you cut the whole inner lip off as opposed to just 1.5 in. max.

2. If I opt to roll the fenders, what type of establishment (body shop, tire shop, general mechanic, etc.) would I expect to find someone better suited for the job and have a better understanding of what I am attempting to have done? I definately do not want to do this myself for various reasons.

3. Would it be more cost effective in the long run to change out the possibly worn out springs versus rolling the fenders? I do plan on swapping stocks wheels out with the 18's every so often for interstate road trip purposes. I get the feeling that if and when I roll the fenders, im going to show a HUGE gap in the fender area of the rear wheels more so than before when I ride on stocks.

4. If I decided to go with new springs, I thought I heard that Supra springs are quite a bit more tighter, yet shorter, so that probably wouldnt help my situation to go that route. Which springs would anyone recommend to keep my car at stock height in the rear, yet firm enough to maintain resistance in order to avoid the rear end sinking effect I seem to have as im driving down the freeway. My car seems like a wanna-be lowrider everytime I drive around town due to the rear end always sagging. The car only looks best when it is parked. Otherwise, it looks like an old clunker driving around with its rear bumper sagging all over the place.

I dont really want to send the car out to have camber adjusted and then create another problem like premature tire wear on the insides. I really enjoy my car very much, but hate the fact that it rides like it does (that lowrider effect). I would like to keep that firm and tight look on the suspension that I feel these cars look best with.

Thanks again guys!!!
Old 07-20-07, 10:40 AM
J:M
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. Tire/Wheel/Rim shops are usually the place I go. Talk to the guy who is doing going to do it. It's best to understand how to roll fenders and the best practice. This way when you talk to the guy and he explains what he's going to do, you know if it's right or not. I know people who've rolled their fenders without a heat gun, and guess what, paint chips on every fender to where it's cracked all the way to the front for everyone to see. So just make sure the guy who will end up doing it will do it right the first time, or else you're screwed.

3. Rolling your fenders will not increase the "gap" size. The part of the fender you are rolling is on the inside, has no bearings on the appearance outside.

Last edited by J:M; 07-20-07 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-20-07, 10:46 AM
Member1115
Pit Crew

J:M... so would it be safe to assume that "rolling" basically means to "bend in", or in this case "bend upwards", the inside fender lip so that its parallel per say to the outside fender face?

Did that make sense I hope?

Thanks.!!!
Old 07-20-07, 04:29 PM
J:M
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's pretty much what rolling fenders mean. Fold it in, and flatten it as much as possible. And if you hear someone say "Pull fenders" it's the exact opposite. Just remember to SEARCH the forum to get more info so you don't regret it by just "trusting" some guy at some "shop" that he'll do it right.