SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Strange Hissing noise from fuel door area?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 07:40 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 301 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Strange Hissing noise from fuel door area?

Guys I have some weird hissing sound coming out from behind my right rear seat, it could be a bad gas cap but I don't know and can't be sure. I took a video, so listen for yourselves. Anyone have an idea? I thought for a second it could also be static coming out from the right rear speaker area, but when I turn on the tape deck, the noise of the static is different. Also, when I REV the engine in neutral it doesn't make the hiss at any RPM level, only when the car is in gear and moving forward does it make the hiss. Also, as I increase speed (as you'll see in video #2) the sound seems to get louder and more prominent, and as I slow down, the sound recedes. Video #1 is at constant speed and then my foot was completely off the gas.

video 1:

video 2:
Old 07-22-07, 08:14 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Bad gas cap man.
Mine was doing the same thing.
Got the gas cap off a 97 ES (same) and usually in-stock

$12 = All better.
Old 07-22-07, 09:11 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

thanks neuro, do I need to buy a gasket also? or the gas caps come with the gasket already installed (the gasket is on the underside of the cap, above the threads)?
Old 07-22-07, 09:25 AM
Mortal300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no ur straight just getting the gas cap...it happened to me a little bit then it went away oddly...i heard lotta people on here went to toyota and got the TRD gas cap and it actually improves mileage cus it seals it a lot better since urs is leaking the pressure....idk if thats true but it seems logical. heres a link for the TRD gas cap btw.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=489

eh a lil pricey but it mite serve the job better...otherwise just go with what neurocity...id just get it off another car..cheaper...and it works =]
Old 07-22-07, 09:28 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mortal300
no ur straight just getting the gas cap...it happened to me a little bit then it went away oddly...i heard lotta people on here went to toyota and got the TRD gas cap and it actually improves mileage cus it seals it a lot better since urs is leaking the pressure....idk if thats true but it seems logical. heres a link for the TRD gas cap btw.

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=489

eh a lil pricey but it mite serve the job better...otherwise just go with what neurocity...id just get it off another car..cheaper...and it works =]
Thanks, but that IS pricey lol, and plus you need to get a regular cap anyways as is stated:

"TRD plastic cover snaps over OEM stock gas cap"

but thanks anyways, I am gonna go to Lexus and pick up whatever one they have in stock that will fit, 97 ES, 92-94 SC, any other model caps that will fit so I can ask in case they dont have either in stock? Not that special ordering takes more than one day anyways, but the quicker the better
Old 07-22-07, 09:32 AM
Mortal300
Pole Position

i think its gunna cost way more at the dealer lol...i wanted my lexus emblem cus it came off...they asked 56$ for it...i just wanted to see how much they wud be...instead i bought it off the net...go to ALIGA ask him if he has a gas cap thats good condition im sure hed have one...or flash thru some lexus sites and buy one thru there
Old 07-22-07, 09:58 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

nah i'm gonna buy a new one, I already looked it up. MSRP is $16.xx. I don't want to buy a used one and have it go bad in 2 months for something so trivial. Thanks though
Old 07-22-07, 11:39 AM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by Mortal300
i think its gunna cost way more at the dealer lol...i wanted my lexus emblem cus it came off...they asked 56$ for it
$12 at the dealer, they didnt have the SC one, but the ES was the same...For my 97, not sure if its the same for earlier years.
Old 07-22-07, 01:50 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

the catalogs say the cap is the same up to 97, then 98-99 has a different part #
Old 07-22-07, 05:22 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise

NY,

I didn't hear the "hissing" noise you refered to. Before I went out and bought anything I would simply loosen tghe cap and see if the noise went away. Can't have a pressure his if there isn't any pressure. Also, the pressure is supposed to be bled off into the intake manifold so the fumes can be burned off for smog reasons. There is a check valve and pressure relief in the charcoal canister that takes care of all this. If you take off your filler cap and get a BIOG rush of gas being released....that valving is plugged. Contact Aliga for a correct diagnosis. The gasket can be replaced onthe cap, I think. Isn't it a big "O" ring?

Now for the bad news. Instead of a hiss, could you say that the sound you hear is more like the sound you hear when you put a sea shell up to your ear?
More of a rushing noise like they say, "you can hear the ocean".

Take your car out and see if you get a change in that sound when you go over different pavements. Doers it disapear when you go over brand new black top? Does it change note when you drive along and go over different texture road like a stretch of cement and then black top?

If this sounds familiar....get back to me.

Good luck

John
Old 07-22-07, 06:49 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

shouldnt like pepboys and kragen.. any auto store have the gas cap? thats where i bought mine.. and so far its still great! :]
Old 07-22-07, 06:56 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnEd
NY,

I didn't hear the "hissing" noise you refered to. Before I went out and bought anything I would simply loosen tghe cap and see if the noise went away. Can't have a pressure his if there isn't any pressure. Also, the pressure is supposed to be bled off into the intake manifold so the fumes can be burned off for smog reasons. There is a check valve and pressure relief in the charcoal canister that takes care of all this. If you take off your filler cap and get a BIOG rush of gas being released....that valving is plugged. Contact Aliga for a correct diagnosis. The gasket can be replaced onthe cap, I think. Isn't it a big "O" ring?

Now for the bad news. Instead of a hiss, could you say that the sound you hear is more like the sound you hear when you put a sea shell up to your ear?
More of a rushing noise like t

they say, "you can hear the ocean".

Take your car out and see if you get a change in that sound when you go over different pavements. Doers it disapear when you go over brand new black top? Does it change note when you drive along and go over different texture road like a stretch of cement and then black top?

If this sounds familiar....get back to me.

Good luck

John
John, the hissing sound is there at all times, all pavement surfaces. I haven't tried to remove the gas cap and drive yet, but it is definitely a LOUD hiss coming from that area where the filler cap is located. I am going out of town on business on Monday/Tuesday, so I won't really get a chance to test anything. I am fairly certain its just the gas cap, this is what my first instinct told me...I don't always get a big rush of vapors being released when I open the filler cap. I always get some rush of vapors when I open the cap after driving it for half an hour, and my tank is almost empty (and from what I read, this is normal operation), but there is never release if I were to just go open it now having not driven the car recently.It's been hissing at me when I release the filler cap after driving for as long as I can remember, but this hissing sound while driving that is coming out of the rear area is new.

edit: and it's definitely more of a hiss than a rushing sound

Last edited by np20412; 07-22-07 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-22-07, 07:02 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
It's been hissing at me when I release the filler cap after driving for as long as I can remember, but this hissing sound while driving that is coming out of the rear area is new.

You didn't change your fuel pump right? Check the cover plates also...The front one will be hard to get at with out yankin your back seat.

But i remember my car doing the hiss thing like 6-7 hours after I drove it. it was when it was in the garage at night I noticed it.
Old 07-22-07, 07:04 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by neurocity
You didn't change your fuel pump right? Check the cover plates also...The front one will be hard to get at with out yankin your back seat.

But i remember my car doing the hiss thing like 6-7 hours after I drove it. it was when it was in the garage at night I noticed it.
no I haven't had my fuel pump changed ever

Just a little tidbit, I started noticing this hissing a little while after I was rear ended, the rear end damage was all cosmetic though, but possible something was damaged?

Last edited by np20412; 07-22-07 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-22-07, 08:39 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise

NY,

I chased road noise coming from the rear. I have many hours of toil into that resolution. You don't seem to have that problem and I am fresh out of ideas except that I think your tank pressure characteristics seem normal. Also, you would be smelling fumes if it were coming from the tank. Wish I could be more help and I hope you will share your findings.

John

Quick Reply: Strange Hissing noise from fuel door area?