SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DVD setup in our car? What's the best way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-01, 10:10 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD setup in our car? What's the best way?

hey guys...I wanna do a DVD setup in my car next month and I'm trying to fit a good/cheap screen to fit right in the headunit space. I need a cheap DVD unit(under 400) to fit somewhere else in the car, yet of course need to control it from the front. Any words to the wise on car audio/stereo? Thanks, Adam
Old 12-23-01, 10:14 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Check out groupbuys not, sure how much and if is still there. You can also try the older Pioneer dual din units. They may be cheaper but, don't know what the dimensions are. I don't have a source for those though. Good luck
Old 12-24-01, 08:38 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adam, you can pick up a 4" or 5" TFT screen pretty cheap these days, just make the trim for it yourself. I used an Alpine CVA-1005 which is a 6.5" screen I believe, plus since it retracts it doesn't get any attention when parked. I mounted a PS2 flush into a 1/2" MDF panel in the trunk, and hard-wired a controller, which comes out from under the pass seat.
Attached Thumbnails DVD setup in our car? What's the best way?-compressed-ps2-and-12cd.jpg.jpg  
Old 12-24-01, 08:41 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the middle of building the trim for the 1.5DIN area below, so it's unfinished as you can see. I'll post pics when it's done.
Attached Thumbnails DVD setup in our car? What's the best way?-compressed-cva-open.jpg  
Old 12-24-01, 10:25 AM
rhart00
Pole Position

I have 5 TV's going in my SC400. I have 2 5" screens for the headrests (not the best quality but they were cheap and nobody sits in the back anyways), 2 5.6" Panasonic widescreen screens for the visors, and a panasonic CY-VMD9000U 7" widescreen TV/ DVD setup for in dash. The picture and sound quality (24bit D/A converter!) on the panasonic in-dash is absolutely amazing and the picture quality on the panasonic TV's for the visors are fabulous. I have the Panasonic CA-TU9000U AV Control Unit (brain) hooked to my CY-VMD9000U. I would highly recommend this setup to anyone looking at doing an in dash TV/DVD setup. I also have a PS2 and Gamecube hooked up to all this. I think I paid about $2000 for the CY-VMD9000U (TV/DVD), CA-TU9000U (brain), and 6 disk CD changer (which I put in the glovebox).

If you are looking for an inexpensive way to put TV/DVD setup in your car I would suggest using a PS2 for its DVD capabilities and buying a couple of screens from someplace like Tundra Electronics They have screens for as low as $89!!!

Last edited by rhart00; 12-24-01 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-24-01, 11:18 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

hey ...I would use a Playstation 2 but I would need the DVD player to be able to control by hand without the glovebox being open...I mean I need the controls right in front of me because I will be using it as my CD player also. The only DVD units I can think of with an external controller would be something like a multidisc player made for the trunk. I don't want to pay that much for a multidisc player though. Anyone think of a good unit that would work for me? Thanks, Adam
Old 12-24-01, 11:20 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

You have a very big selection of DVD units under $400 so you shouldnt have a problem there. Are you looking for a slide out style or a custom unit for the dash screen?? My girlfriend has 4 screens in her SC now. In Both visors ,in the dash and in the center armrest section with a DVD changer. She is currently re-doing the car Ill see if she'll sell the first DVD/MP3 player that was in there if you're in the market for a used one...
Attached Thumbnails DVD setup in our car? What's the best way?-em1.gif  
Old 12-24-01, 11:44 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

importtoys...is that DVD player one with a screen included or one that you mount somewhere else in the car? I don't want a flip out screen. I just want a screen that fits right in. and a DVD player I can mount somewhere else, yet can control from the front. I would be interested in a a used DVD player.
Old 12-24-01, 11:58 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

Her setup is the type that you're after...Remote mounted DVD with seperate screen yet controlled up front. It looks really clean...but then again im not a fan of the pop up screens. drop me an Email. Be sure to put 'Atten:Marcus' in the subject line so that no one catches it and moves it before I have a chance to read.