SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mercedes Sucks and the Jag was a Convertible!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 12:19 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercedes Sucks and the Jag was a Convertible!

Well, the reason I am excited is because I realize how much love my Lexus. The fiance-to-be wanted to go look at cars because she is not liking the BMW as much as she thought. Anyways, she dragged me to a Mercedes dealer to look at a CLK430 that was on the used lot. We took the puppy for a drive, and aside from the nice V8 grunt, I was not impressed at all. The seats were hard, the radio was terrible and the interior seems so dated (like most german cars). To make matters worse, the dealer had the nerve to tell me "how are you going to let your lady friend drive a better car than you?" I was like, WTF, does he think he is going to sell the car after a comment like that? Anyways, needless to say, we are staying away from the pointed star. We also did look at a XK8 that was advertised by a local owner, turned out to be a convertible, not the coupe like we wanted......the search continues.
Old 12-24-01, 01:49 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Don't get the Xk8...one of my friends bought a 98 model with 44,000 miles and the transmission went out the next day. He wasn't a happy camper.
Old 12-24-01, 02:34 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Maintainence will be a huge beech, once the warranty goes. If you're planning on buying a Bimmer or Merc. Get one with a good long warranty because, once it goes. It literally will be a money pit. That's my 0.02 Also, check out the Merc forums. It'll give you a better understanding how the cars go.

As for the seats and comfort. It is much different than Japanese imports. There are good and bad but, mechanically-wise. It is much more difficult and expensive. The salesman is probably just trying tick you off b/c, you knew something about cars. He saw you as a person who was taking his bread and butter away. The same thing happened to me when, I helped my friend buy a car and not just once.

Oh, one more thing is that when you bring a car for a big maintainence problem at a Lexus delaership. They give you a nice recent Lexus model car. You do the same at the local Merc dealership here and you get a Geo Prism. How's that for money well-spent? Is that funny or what?

Last edited by black sc; 12-24-01 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-24-01, 03:25 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

I have a buddy who has a CLK and I kinda liked the looks, and the only time I ever drove it was when I was coming home from the bar one night, so today was my first experience. There is a Benz dealer down the street from me and it seems like they have an extraordinary amount of CLK's in the service lot. I can't imagine that they are in for regular service, because they tend to stay there for 3 or 4 days at a time. Anyways, the Mercedes search has stopped, unless I can find a S430 for dirt cheap!!!
Old 12-24-01, 03:29 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

It is funny, I took my boss up to the Jag dealer near my work because his XJ6 was having problems. After we got his car checking in, he was suprised that they had a "free-loaner" program. I was curious to see what he was going to drive, so I stuck around for a few thinking that maybe it would be an S-Type or maybe even the new X-type. Damn, was I mistaken, they pulled around some half-*** Toyota Corolla that was just in off lease. I could not stop laughing after I watched his fat *** hop in the pile in peel out of the service drive.
Old 12-24-01, 06:22 PM
1BomexLex
Lead Lap

Default oohh

just get a XKR or whatever the lettering order goes

the supercharged one
hehe
Old 12-24-01, 11:40 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the XK8 too. It is the sexiest car in the US IMO.... Plus the coupe is a truly grand tourer... A good 97' - 98' coupe can be bought for $25 - $30K with low miles... Be patient and get the Jag...

Just purchase an extended waranty @

www.platinumwarrantycorp.com

Good company and well worth the extra cheese when buying pre-owned...

Ikon
Old 12-25-01, 12:44 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I've had to deal with those snotty *******s at the Mercedes dealership also. We have a particularly snooty one here whose salesmen wouldn't give me the time of day. Part of the reason I own the vastly superior SC400 today - I too was interested in the CLK430 until I ran into their attitude. If the car was better, I would have found a used one or gone elsewhere.. but it's not.
XK8 = Ford Mustang with leather and better bodywork. 'nuff said
Old 12-25-01, 05:58 AM
hoops_24
Pole Position

Go for the XK8. I own one and I will tell you the thing is a thing of beauty and mechanical precision. To me, it is the bench mark of coupes. (Including the SC400 which is 2nd).

Once you slip behind the steering wheel and mash the gas, you will know you made the right decision.

I don't understand the Mustang comment since the car was in development prior to the ford partnership?? Sounds like an uneducated rant.
Old 12-25-01, 03:51 PM
SL730
Driver School Candidate

You should test drive a mercedes sl or s-class coupe (CL). They're always far better than any other mercedes and both are among the best cars in the world. Also, the dealer will most definitively give you a different look once you start asking about these. XK8 are great cars, really gorgeous. Ever considered a 8 serie BMW coupe. Theire something, let me tell you..
Old 12-25-01, 03:53 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Well, my SC400 and the later-gen ones will beat it to 60 MPH, and they'll beat us to the repair shop every time. Given that Ford bought them back in 1989 I'd hate to think they were still planning the car before the purchase, considering the car made it out in 1997. I mean, over 8 years? Maybe to design a fighter jet, but I don't think they were THAT slow.
I know Ford has taken the Jag reliability up a step, but it's not enough.. I hear about people with newer Jag problems pretty frequently.
Interestingly, their website says that the model concept was given the OK for design and production 2 1/2 years prior to the sale date. What were they waiting for I wonder, if they had the design prior to Ford's purchase? They could've gotten a piece of the action!

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 12-25-01 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 09:27 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

In a 99' comparison against a SC4, XK8 and CLK430 the jag outclassed them all.. In virtually ever category except price...

The SC4 was last(based on price again), the Jag was 2nd(only on price) and the Benz was 1st. However the article stated that the XK8 was the premiere GT coupe. It was ranked 1st on all writers list and the ONLY reason it was second was because of price(almost $15K more than the CLK)... However a good used model will be a great purchase, IMO.

Max the 1/4 times of all where within .1 sec of each other.. The CLK was 14.5 and the SC4 and XK8 were both 14.6...
Old 12-26-01, 03:43 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Who made the comparison, and did they actually drag the cars on a track or did they use the manufacturer's numbers?
I've said before that I think anyone who buys one of these cars new is out of their mind or has too much money
Old 12-26-01, 05:16 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

The cars were compared in a Motor Trend issue article called "Grand Touring V8 Style" by Patrick Wong... The times were gathered on location in Nothern California.

They all had the exact 0-60 times of 6.1... Plus we all know that 0-60 does not make a car superior...

SC4 0-60 6.1, Slalom 60.0mph, HP 290, TQ 300, 5spd auto, MPG 25, $61,246
XK8 0-60 6.1, Slalom 62.1mph, HP 290, TQ 300, 5spd auto, MPG 25, $72,422
CLK 430 0-60 6.1, Slalom 61.0mph, HP 275, TQ 295, 5spd auto, mpg 25, $53,628

***We have IMO the most superior coupe based on the car cheap service, long term low ownership cost compared to the others in it's class.. etc...

But based on looks and status, the XK8 is more modern compared to our beloved coupe. Our however SC does look damn good after 12 years in existance, but the XK8 is as nice too... If you like being snooty in a rarer car get the XK8... Plus, I hear the Jag will take easy bolt on mods...

Hey Johnny, it's you and your girl's call anyway ...

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-26-01 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-26-01, 05:50 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly if I had to choose among those I'd take the Mercedes CLK430.. I'd put ein kompressor on the motor. They just look soo tight, personal preference. Especially slammed on those big AMG monobloc wheels with the squarish angular chrome tips. I think that until L-Tuned wheels were available Lexus didn't make an OEM wheel that could compete with Merc or Jag, I'd like to see the slalom times with the bigger & better rims on.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Sucks and the Jag was a Convertible!