SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Couple Issues I Could Use A Hand With-headlight, speedo needle

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 02:09 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple Issues I Could Use A Hand With-headlight, speedo needle

OK, this may come off as rather n00bish, but I obviously haven't checked these forums every day since I joined several years ago.

Anyway, I have a couple problems:

-My speedometer needle light has gone out, and I notice that there are lights can be bought to replace that along with the other places with background lights ie radio, AC. Can I get just that one needle to replace for the speedo? I just talked to the local Lexus daeler and they were trying to say it'd be 912 bucks becuase I'd HAVE to get an entire new gauge cluster, including new speedo, gas, and temp gauges. No way in hell I'm doing that...

-Also, the guy who had my ride before me replaced all of the stock bulbs (every possible bulb...) with PIAA's, and as my headlights burned out I noted how horribly corroded the connection between the (I don't know) harness? and the actual bulb itself was, it looked terrible. It was for all intents and purposes, fried. I was able to replace one of them succesfully to put my Sylvanias in, but the other one is gone, nothing is ever going to work from that thing again. I'm not even sure what to ask for, but it's the part that connects directly into the bulb from the car's wires. I need a new one, but the jackass at Lexus told me yet again that the entire wiring harness for all my lights would need to be replaced, which I found laughable because I know something better can be worked out. Have any of you encountered this? It is because of using the more kilowatt aftermarket bulbs that makes it just...fry like that? What do you suggest I do? All help much appreciated...

Last edited by Lucky Devin; 08-01-07 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 02:17 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky Devin

-Also, the guy who had my ride before me replaced all of the stock bulbs (every possible bulb...) with PIAA's, and as my headlights burned out I noted how horribly corroded the connection between the (I don't know) harness? and the actual bulb itself was, it looked terrible. It was for all intents and purposes, fried. I was able to replace one of them succesfully to put my Sylvanias in, but the other one is gone, nothing is ever going to work from that thing again. I'm not even sure what to ask for, but it's the part that connects directly into the bulb from the car's wires. I need a new one, but the jackass at Lexus told me yet again that the entire wiring harness for all my lights would need to be replaced, which I found laughable because I know something better can be worked out. Have any of you encountered this? It is because of using the more kilowatt aftermarket bulbs that makes it just...fry like that? What do you suggest I do? All help much appreciated...
Go to Pepboys/Autozone/AutoBarn/Advance whatever you have. They sell the connectors that plug into the bulb and will wire up to your existing wires after you chop off the burned connector. All you have to do then is chop off your old connector at the two wires plugging into it, and connect the two wires coming out of the new one you buy. The new one comes with about 6 inches of wiring attached, so don't worry about chopping off an inch beyond the harness connector on your burnt up one. Man i've replaced these things like 3 times on my car because they used to fry up with my aftermarket headlight bulbs. They are about $5 each (sold individually, not pair).

The Lexus guys never know what they are saying. My dealer parts department tried to tell me I can't use the 1997 tail lights in my 1994 SC300 without buying the entire BODY wiring harness. LOL @ $600 wiring harness to make some tail lights work. I had to inform them that all I needed was a tail light assembly and I'd do the rest, the rest being living with a hyperblink and a little dash light.

edit: Here are some on eBay if you can't find them locally: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...spagenameZWDVW

Just a random ebay item I pulled up, search "9006 connector" in ebay and you'll find a slew of them

Last edited by np20412; 08-01-07 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 03:10 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
Go to Pepboys/Autozone/AutoBarn/Advance whatever you have. They sell the connectors that plug into the bulb and will wire up to your existing wires after you chop off the burned connector. All you have to do then is chop off your old connector at the two wires plugging into it, and connect the two wires coming out of the new one you buy. The new one comes with about 6 inches of wiring attached, so don't worry about chopping off an inch beyond the harness connector on your burnt up one. Man i've replaced these things like 3 times on my car because they used to fry up with my aftermarket headlight bulbs. They are about $5 each (sold individually, not pair).

The Lexus guys never know what they are saying. My dealer parts department tried to tell me I can't use the 1997 tail lights in my 1994 SC300 without buying the entire BODY wiring harness. LOL @ $600 wiring harness to make some tail lights work. I had to inform them that all I needed was a tail light assembly and I'd do the rest, the rest being living with a hyperblink and a little dash light.

edit: Here are some on eBay if you can't find them locally: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...spagenameZWDVW

Just a random ebay item I pulled up, search "9006 connector" in ebay and you'll find a slew of them
Damn, that is EXACTLY what I need man, thanks for the help. I knew there was no way in hell that I would have to buy the entire harness for all my front lights, the guy at Lexus parts has probably never driven one from how clueless he sounded. He asked me, "ok SC400, automatic or manual?". ...yeah

I might ****** those up off Ebay while they are there. I should not have a problem cutting then splicing the wires back up. So, you went back with the stock bulbs, as it is pretty common apparently for those things to fry up? Shame, as I just spent some bread for the Sylvania Silverstars.
Old 08-01-07, 03:20 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, this may come off as rather n00bish, but I obviously haven't checked these forums every day since I joined several years ago.

Anyway, I have a couple problems:

-My speedometer needle light has gone out, and I notice that there are lights can be bought to replace that along with the other places with background lights ie radio, AC. Can I get just that one needle to replace for the speedo? I just talked to the local Lexus daeler and they were trying to say it'd be 912 bucks becuase I'd HAVE to get an entire new gauge cluster, including new speedo, gas, and temp gauges. No way in hell I'm doing that...

The best way to fix those burnt out needles is to have them replaced by Lextech.

http://www.lextech.org/

All fresh brandy new SMD's.
Old 08-01-07, 03:37 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Actually LLS quit building SMD's when Brandon took over. Try watching ebay and crossing your fingers. The problem with used needles is the same problem with the one's you already have though. As you have found, Lexus does not sell just one. Infact that was the original reason LLS even became. One thing to keep in mind though is that the SMD's pack too much heat and will fail again so don't pay too much for SMD's.
Old 08-01-07, 04:03 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Actually LLS quit building SMD's when Brandon took over. Try watching ebay and crossing your fingers. The problem with used needles is the same problem with the one's you already have though. As you have found, Lexus does not sell just one. Infact that was the original reason LLS even became. One thing to keep in mind though is that the SMD's pack too much heat and will fail again so don't pay too much for SMD's.
Well damn, I thought I was all set. I was diggin the ice blue setup, it would match nicely with the rest of my car. Oh well, crossin my fingers it is. At least this isn't something that has to be done immediately, as I think I can manage with a speedometer that I just have to squint at to get the full effect
Old 08-01-07, 04:47 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 265 Posts

So, you went back with the stock bulbs, as it is pretty common apparently for those things to fry up? Shame, as I just spent some bread for the Sylvania Silverstars.
Well actually no, eventually I changed bulbs to a different brand. I went from Nokya, CRAP, to Luminecs, really nice. The Luminecs burned much cooler and didn't fry up my connectors at all. And they gave a nice white output. With Silverstars, you will be good. Sylvania makes quality stuff. Now I have HID, and I don't regret it one bit
Old 08-01-07, 05:01 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what is he doing now? No more 32's?
Old 08-01-07, 05:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by mkorsu
So what is he doing now? No more 32's?
SMD's don't have anything to do with backlight.
Old 08-01-07, 07:05 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off Topic: Wait so O. L. T. Where would you go about getting the custom dash lights and needle lights? Even the Climate control back light? You?

This might help Lucky Devin too in a way.

On Topic: The Sylvania Silverstars will not disappoint you in any way: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=295138
Old 08-01-07, 07:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

not following you.....
Old 08-01-07, 07:23 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

not following you.....
The bulbs to change the light output for the cluster. I know you have a thread about this and the different color choices to change the needles and what not but how would i go about doing that? I don't trust myself enough to do it myself if that is the only way.

Do you understand or am i being unclear?

Thanks
Old 08-01-07, 07:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I posted everything I did in the ice blue thread, even opened the units and took all kinds of pics. Brandon took all that over a couple yrs back. I'm in the middle of building something wicked though for my Sc. Just dropped a link in the interior thread.
Old 08-01-07, 07:35 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

I posted everything I did in the ice blue thread, even opened the units and took all kinds of pics. Brandon took all that over a couple yrs back. I'm in the middle of building something wicked though for my Sc. Just dropped a link in the interior thread.
Alright i will check that out.

Thanks