SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1995 M3 5-Speed vs. 1992 SC300 5-Speed (what to buy?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 12:25 PM
raceonusa
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance

while the e36 looks way older than jesus already (IMHO).
lol

Well my insurance is pretty spotless and I'de be buying it in full, so I should be ok on the insurance side of things.

Repair costs do worry me though..

I just got off the phone with my Mechanic , he says M3's are SUPER expensive to fix, especially the suspension, and at 150k he tells me "don't touch it" (too many potential problems)..

So now it's either an SC or a GS 98+

I really don't want an automatic, so more that likely I'll get an SC..
Old 08-02-07, 12:40 PM
kevincao01
Pole Position

I've owned a 1995 M3 and currently own a 92 SC300. I have to say, the M3 is a beast when it comes to the road, it really out performs the SC by a lot. I had an endless list of mods, and like others have already said, mods are definitely easier to come by with the M3. But overall, the 95 is a good platform to stand on. It is easier to mod (only because you can find more mods for it), but you won't be getting 350HP from bolt-ons.

M3s Cons: 2x as expensive as the SC

The SC's luxury is the winner when it comes to the two, so as a daily, it is smoother and very subtle. Even the stock suspension on the M3 was pretty sporty. You feel the bumps in the road a lot more.

I chose the SC simply because I was looking for something less sporty and more luxurious. I lost the power, the mods and the torque, but I also gained $5000 back.

I bought the M3 for 10k and my SC for $5000. Same mileage on both.

Here is a picture. I do miss her sometimes:

Old 08-02-07, 01:42 PM
raceonusa
Former Vendor

What a coincidence, Nice M3!
Old 08-02-07, 06:49 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

had a 95 m3 myself and loved it. had everything done to it as well except for cams and exhaust (had straight pipe on it for a bit but did not like it as you had to wash the car every week or paint would turn yellow due to unburnt fuel). dyno'd at 227rwhp and was able to run 13.8 at 101mph (have one run where i had 103 trap though). great handling car as well.

but i decided to sell the car and buy a 93 sc300. for the amount of $ it would have taken me to get the m3 up to a power level i'd be satisfied with, it would have cost at least $5k. by selling it, i had $ left over to put into the sc300. i'm almost done w/ the turbo install and will only be slightly over what i've sold it (boostlogic stg2 btw).

pics of the m3 here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079737
Old 08-02-07, 06:58 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

honestly, id pick the bmw, but id listen to ur mechanic cause hes right. i say go for the sc its a better daily driver and seems more practical , o and its cheaper
Old 08-02-07, 07:22 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MattSEG
Be in for sticker shock when the vanos, or pretty much anything else on the m3 goes out. On the SC when something breaks the better replacements are often less expensive.
That was a selling point for me with the SC. The M3 is nice if you have deep pockets for mods. I also think the SC's look a LOT sexier! The M3 is way too boxy for my tastes.

You've got to give us all the prices too. I figure you can buy an SC for a lot less $ and stick that money saved into a twin turbo and some engine mods which will leave the stock M3 in the dust.

More mods with the M3, but a lot less expensive with the SC.

If I had a lot of money for mods = M3
I don't and LOVE my SC so far!

Stock compared side by side is no comparison. With no price involved, the M3 is the obvious choice. Good debate though!
Old 08-02-07, 09:41 PM
CLNSC3
Lexus Test Driver

I made this decision before and I would make the same one again. SC.
Old 08-03-07, 01:24 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00es300
If i were to keep both cars stock I'd take the M3

But if I was going to mod, I'd take the Lexus
Got my vote!!

~Josh
Old 08-03-07, 06:52 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

the m3 is a great car. good power, good handling, can fit 4 people, has plenty of bells and whistles. inexpensive mods are there up to a certain point (intake, chip, injectors, flywheel, exhaust, etc) but after that, it get's pricey to go up to the next level (forced induction). in terms of reliability, the m3 is just as reliable, just depends if u keep up w/ maintenance or not. 100k miles is nothing and is consided by many enthusiast as just breaking the engine in. u have to be proactive in replacing parts before they break (at least that's how i think) before it becomes or leads to a bigger problem.

i'd agree, if comparing stock for stock, i'd take the m3 in a heart beat but when it comes to upgrading/modding it, there's no comparison. many performance parts can be taken from the supra...
Old 08-04-07, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

if the M3 had lower mileage, then I'd take the M3.
Old 08-04-07, 12:11 PM
Khiladi
Driver

I'm over on bimmerforums too. I'd say if you're gonna keep the cars relatively stock, then go M3. But if you are seriously trying to mod it to achieve over 300whp, then go SC if reliability, cost and maintenance are of any concern to you.
Old 08-04-07, 01:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

You cannot "paper race" these two cars. The driving experience of the BMW is worlds away from any SC modified in any way. The germans build a level of instant grin into their cars that the asian cars just do not have. BMW's are not straight line cars and never have been. They are high torque and extremely responsive in both throttle and steering. There is a certain experience to driving the BMW that is the feeling that only a german has.

There simply is no way to paper race anything V/S a BMW because the germans shine in places you can't put on paper. I have had every E30 and E36 model they have made in every arrangement (auto, stick, 318, 325, 328, etc) and I have managed to keep my little 318i 5-speed around (gas beater) for almost 5 years just because it is fun to drive. Along with my Lexus Sc4, and the Benz and Jag in my sig. There are certainly better cars in my driveway than a 130 hp 4 banger, but guess which one I get in most of the time to tool around town in? You can't paper race the fun factor.

Mods for aesthetics are everywhere. Look at where I started and where I ended. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/478355

Even just halfway through where I started modding and where I stopped (as seen below, midpoint) The car was turning heads everywhere it went.
Attached Thumbnails 1995 M3 5-Speed vs. 1992 SC300 5-Speed (what to buy?)-3shotcornerrear.jpg  

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-04-07 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 11:44 PM
blackkat
Driver School Candidate

I totally agree with OLT. I've owned a 1995 M3 along with a Twin Turbo 300zx, a track-ready 240sx and now a 1994 SC400, but none of those cars really compares to the Bimmer. The M3 wasn't the fastest car, nor did it handle the best, and it wasn't exceptionally luxurious or comfortable, but it does trump all my other cars in pure driving enjoyment. The torque and power lie in the low to mid rpm range which makes for very fun runs around town and very satisfying driving at the track. The gear box and steering are extremely solid, responsive and precise. I really can't describe it very well and I can only suggest you go take a test drive if you get a chance.

As for maintenance, I've always believed that cars are only as dependable as their owner's focus on preventative maintenance and professional repair. The Bimmer didn't cost anymore to repair than any of my Japanese cars. The fit and finish I would say is comparable to my SC400. The SC400 is definitely a smoother, quieter ride. I also think that a tastefully modified SC4 looks cleaner and classier than the M can look. When it was all said and done, my modified M was obnoxiously loud, vulgar and a blast to drive. The SC is a bit of a deviation from the 'tuner scene' into a more mature and classy daily. I guess its all up to what you need/want.
Old 08-05-07, 01:55 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default 1995 M3 5-Speed vs. 1992 SC300 5-Speed

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
...Along with my Lexus Sc4, and.
Originally Posted by blackkat
I've owned a 1995 M3 along with a Twin Turbo 300zx, a track-ready 240sx and now a 1994 SC400, but none of those cars really compares to the Bimmer...
He is asking about the pros and cons of The SC300 5sp and you guys litter this thread with your SC400 experience. Maybe when Raceonusa starts a thread about an M3 5speed vs. an SC400 Automatic V-8 you guys could cut and paste your responds. The SC3 5sp/SC4 Auto have completely different engines, drivetrains, handle differently...

Any of us with our heads screwed on know straight up that the eom M3/SC300 comparison is hands down bimmer. Raceonusa's not asking about that. He's asking about putting a turbo engine into SC300 5sp and asked for some pros and cons of that vehicle. The only SC300 2j con I know of is that you'll run up the bumper of an M3 so fast that you might hit it if you are not careful.

I don't paper race my SC300. I am an active NASA member and spend time with a number of great cars on excellent Northern California raceways like Infineon, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca. I can not tell you what an embarassment an oem SC400 would be on those tracks. I can tell you what a freaking missle the SC300 2jzgte is in comparison to 70-80% of the cars on the track including M3's and M5's.

I don't drive the SC400 V-8 Automatic probably for the many of the same reasons you like your M3. If you get behind the wheel of an SC300 stick motivated by 400+rwhp your view of the M3 will change.

Raceoneusa, pm me if you would like to know this season's next NASA track date.

Last edited by SCoupe; 08-05-07 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-05-07, 06:53 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

If you can quit your mindless blabbering for long enough, the rest of the world would like to point out an SC is an SC. There's nothing on this earth that will make the situation any different. You can put an ugly girl in a hot dress, but she's still an ugly girl.

Quick Reply: 1995 M3 5-Speed vs. 1992 SC300 5-Speed (what to buy?)