SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1995 M3 5-Speed vs. 1992 SC300 5-Speed (what to buy?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 04:13 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCoupe
He's asking about putting a turbo engine into SC300 5sp and asked for some pros and cons of that vehicle.
Once you put a 1jzgte or a 2jzgte into a 300 or a 400, you then have pretty much the same car.

I don't think there are big differences, even with stock. The stock 300 was listed at 225 HP, and the 400 was listed at 250 HP.

I don't think a comparison between the 400 vs. the M3 or the 300 vs. the M3 is going to be all that much different.

Originally Posted by raceonusa
I've noticed there are quite a few options for the SC, either run a NA-T turbo kit and upgrade clutch , or swap 1JZ or 2JZ-GTE engine & transmission
Can't you can do that with either the 300 or 400 (minus the clutch since 400's were never stick)?

Originally Posted by raceonusa
My goal is a reliable 350hp daily driver , that I can take to the track occasionally.

Is it a better idea to just buy a non-running SC, then buy a front clip and have everything swapped? Might as well I guess since everything is coming out, right?
If he wants 350+ HP, he's going to have to do the swap or turbo kit. IF everything comes out to do a swap, the differences between the 300 and 400 are I mean, what's really the difference between a 2jzgte 300 and a 2jzgte 400?

Who wins that race?
Old 08-05-07, 04:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Exactly, if you are swapping engines and transmissions it don't matter. An SC is an SC. he was just feeling froggy today apparently and wanted to post moot points..
Old 08-05-07, 04:36 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what's all these "more mods" that you guys say you can get with the M3?

BMWs are a joy to drive, but personally, I'd pick the SC. More luxurious, better looking, and can be made much faster with a lot less money.
Old 08-05-07, 05:14 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

O.L.T. is 100% correct. German cars drive so much differently (and I mean that in a BETTER sense of the word), that it can't even be described. You gotta drive one to know for sure. I just sold my '05 S4 for a new M6, and I pondered/drove many cars in the process of choosing. Not one japanese car made it towards the top of my list. I've got my 2JZGTE powered SC that I drive as well. It's got upgraded turbo, suspension, BPU++, but even in upgraded form, with all the money I've sunk into it, I wouldn't trade it away for my bimmer or the S4 I used to have. Now that's not to take away from the SC, but the cars have totally different purposes. The SC is much faster in a straight line, that's for sure, but the other cars do everything else better, and do it soooo much better, that the straight line differences between them don't even matter.
Old 08-05-07, 08:30 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

M3 has better handling, stronger gearbox, almost as equal strong bottom end(w/hg), higher flowing head, BUT aftermarket is very expensive.

SC has the motor thats about it, made to go straightline fast for cheaper. More sleeper'ish look to it.

LOOKS is based upon owner. So is a worthless account in the comparison.

If all a person wants is 350wheel, then i guess a plain jane turbo kit on the sc(for sake of cost)

BUT im not saying one is better than the other, I love the SC but Im a BMW guy through and through, like others have said driving a stock BMW is borsderline perfect in all manners.

All depends on what the owners intrests are. 350whp is very different in both cars(powerband, weight, torque curves......etc...)

Last edited by Arizona; 08-06-07 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-07-07, 11:17 AM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

during the 90's, M3 is way ahead of the SC(im an SC owner) in all aspects.

not even a question.

today, lexus might have a better arguement. but not during the 90's.
Old 08-07-07, 11:34 AM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by my_shaldan
during the 90's, M3 is way ahead of the SC(im an SC owner) in all aspects.

not even a question.

today, lexus might have a better arguement. but not during the 90's.
No, not even today does Lexus have any argument for Bimmer, particularly in the "M" vs everything else department. The M3 has always been the peformance car yard stick, and I don't see that changing for a long while. Lexus plans on debuting an IS500 from what I hear, but mark my words, it won't cut the mustard either. It might be good for what it is, but the M3 always wins the battle against it's competitor. Lexus might have a small argument in the "value" department for some of it's other car, as their cars cost considerably less, but I'm not sure potential M3 owners even care about that aspect.
Old 08-07-07, 12:00 PM
my_shaldan
Lead Lap

that is why i added the word MIGHT.
Old 08-07-07, 02:31 PM
MattSEG
Driver

BMW's do drive great, M3's are nice cars.
The SC is a nice car, and drives ok.

Aesthetically it's a matter of choice.

If you want to keep it stock, be mindful of maintenance, take it to the occasional track day and enjoy it, m3.
If you want to upgrade, do free way pulls, blow away vettes, have a little more money left over after something breaks go SC.
Old 10-24-07, 04:09 PM
J'sSoarer
Driver School Candidate

it really depends on what your prefences are my friend had a 97' M3 w/ 5speed trans. the one thing i liked was how little body roll the car had. i would go with the sc just because it has much more potential for less money
Old 10-24-07, 06:00 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
If you can quit your mindless blabbering for long enough, the rest of the world would like to point out an SC is an SC. There's nothing on this earth that will make the situation any different. You can put an ugly girl in a hot dress, but she's still an ugly girl.
Yeah!!
Old 10-24-07, 08:56 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 2JZGTE powered SC300, and I drive my friends close to stock M3. If I were you, I would pick the M3.

Everyone who has been pro M3 all make the same point I would. It just feels better to drive. As much as I love my SC, if your looking for a ride you can strictly enjoy while driving, dont pick the SC. If you want a ride you can be comfortable in, and have some power when needed (after turbo) get the SC.
Old 10-24-07, 09:16 PM
raceonusa
Former Vendor

Heheh, this thread keeps coming back, well I ended up buying the SC300, a black 5 speed, needs some work.. I'll post some pics later, when I get a chance.
Old 10-25-07, 03:37 AM
SC34M3
Advanced

wow, you guys lost it...you guys are comparing bmw vs sc...thats not what he wanted to know. its the model of these car. i was never a bmw guy..can you believe that? too flashy for me...kinda like a biker wanting a bmw...hard to explain why its just not for me. i just like the look of the sc better than the bmw. cleaner and more slick but thats just mho. not to mention the miles...high miles on the sc is ok but on a bmw? nah. sc ftw!
Old 10-25-07, 07:18 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

M3 is a beautiful car. I was looking at that and the 300zx. I could NOT afford the M3 in mods/fixes though. I got the SC (300zx was too much out of my price range).

Quick Reply: 1995 M3 5-Speed vs. 1992 SC300 5-Speed (what to buy?)