SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

engine cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-07, 04:58 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default engine cover

so since i live in nazifornia... and will be undergoing an NA-T setup on my sc3...

i started to think about what i can do to minimize getting popped with a ref ticket

I'll be running an exhaust cutout with my stock exhaust... so that'll keep the noise levels in check.

Looks-wise... i can't really do anything about that...

But lets say i were to get pulled over they wanted to look under the hood...

cops here know their stuff (most of the time) so i'm thinking about making an engine cover similar to most of the new cars that come out these days.

Anyone here ever toyed with that idea? Suggestions?

It would be a simple cover, maybe with the L logo on it make it look even more OEM, to cover up all the turbo goodies.
Old 08-07-07, 05:02 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't the IS300 come with a engine cover? I'm not sure if it would cover up a turbo though.
Old 08-07-07, 06:14 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

powdercoat all of your pipes a flat black or even consider using stock looking rubber piping. I was thinking about an engine cover before myself with a lexus emblem on it to hopefully disguise the snail, but it's going to take some time to mold something out of ABS.

Keep us updated on how this goes!
Old 08-07-07, 06:44 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Deng I hope you can do it. and NA-T I thought you would come with something doper. ahha let me and ernie throw in that rb26 got a built on right now as we speak. and ernie can get it in no prob. but yea i know someone else who got a 1j and hes trying to find something that covers everything up. Gl on making something only hard part i think would be the turbo and pipes melting plastic ish you put above it. and deng Cops at Tab are crazy so i hope you dont get popped
Old 08-07-07, 08:03 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300STED
Doesn't the IS300 come with a engine cover? I'm not sure if it would cover up a turbo though.

it doesnt....

im glad I dont live in Cali. they'd take all of my cars away
Old 08-07-07, 08:07 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sc300STED
Ive thought about that one before. Like kind of adding some type of extension so that it covers half the engine bay. The half with the snail in it. Yeah getting reff'ed is the worst.
Old 08-08-07, 10:58 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

yea mine would have to cover the snail and my hugea$$ intake manifold with a huge TB

and that fact that the intake mani and TB is all polished don't help neither hehe

BLovesc... PM me... i haven't started the NA-T swap yet and am giving the RB26 a second thought.
Old 08-08-07, 12:10 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything flat black is what I was going to do. I thought about a plastic cover, but its probably more work than what its worth. If anything, maybe a black cover, or metal plate only to cover the turbo side should be fine.

A buddy of mine got his hood popped out here in the valley, fat black snail in your face, rubber pipping, black everything, cop didnt give any tickets.

As much as I want to install my single kit, I just as much dont want to give up my stock 2jzgte engine bay appearance.
Old 08-08-07, 12:31 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Emerald
it doesnt....

im glad I dont live in Cali. they'd take all of my cars away
At least not your 400........Last time I checked, most cops were too chubby or lazy to bend down and check for a remote mount snail!
Old 08-09-07, 07:05 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Sooo many people have sc with 1j or 2j or NGay-T Not too many RB26 sc around. plus the one ernie has is built all crazy haha like d1 motor in your car
Old 08-09-07, 07:41 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

are turbos illegal in california?
Old 08-09-07, 07:53 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

my friend was driving a turbo protege.. no probs wit cops. its also a show car.. so yea bodykit, lowered, cf hood.. n yea it stood out.. btw its his friends car..

he also barrowed his other friends car.. looks like a race car s2k.. wide body hard top lots of cf.. and its turbo as well.. no probs wit the cops.

the only time he gets fallowed is when he drives his near bone stock s2k.. lip, side and rear bumper.. and a j's racing Massive cf spoiler.

yea.... iono what i said.
Old 08-09-07, 08:10 PM
YouLose
Driver

You sure you get a ref ticket in cali for a turbo set-up?
Old 08-09-07, 08:21 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
are turbos illegal in california?
Only if its not stock. anything thats stock turbo its legal if not you can get in trouble for it. unless its one of those carb (California Air Recource Board) legal turbo kits. but ive only seen those for like hondas and crap
Old 08-10-07, 02:28 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

well u could make one! youll probably have 2 cover your entire engine bay with plastic bags or something to protect it, then i would seewhat it is i want 2 cover, cover it with that fleece material that they use 4 fiberglass speaker enclosers, oversize it so you can cut later, brush on resin, remove and shape to however u want it 2 look! but remeber that youll need mounting points so thats something to look into. i put some though into this, but im not finished with my engine work! if you decide 2 try this keep us posted! GL

Quick Reply: engine cover