SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELP! Flushing out my SC 19's w/ spacers or adapters for aggressive look

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 04:21 AM
sc400 2nv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINISHED w/ PICS! Flushing out my SC 19's w/ spacers or adapters for aggressive look

sorry i took so long to update this post, but i finally got finished with the spacer project. i ended up going with 20mm wheel adapters on ebay for the rear(about $50). i ran into a couple of problems though. well the adapters were nice, but the bolts were too big and stuck out from the adapter and plus did not fit in the pockets of my rim. so after hitting up a couple of tire shops for some smaller/shorter lugs with no luck, i customized some gorilla lugs i had laying around by using a disk grinder to shave then really short(the one i customized in the pic was actually still too big so i grinded it more, to half the size of the one in the pic) i grinded it very short but enough for the key to fit and tighten the lugs....

see, very short! i used lock tight to secure them in place

here is a before pic... = not aggressive

sucess!!! now the updated pics.... looks good IMO but now i have to do the fronts... i might go thicker to avoid grinding down more lugs!!! yeah, i also had to grind down the rear fenders about 1/4" more until there was no inner lip at all. then i painted the inside with touch up paint to avoid rust issues. no rubbing issues! IMO, was well worth my time and effort.. what do u guys think!

SOOO.... SHOULD I DO THE FRONTS TOO, I WAS THINKING OF EITHER 25 0R 30 MM? OR DO U GUYS LIKE IT THE WAY IT SITS... THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!

hello. well i have my sc400 dropped with megan coils on R2 sport DTR3's 19x8 and 19x9.5 offset 35mm and 40mm with 275/30/19 r and 245/35/19 f. i grinded down the rear fenders and can allow another 15MM to flush it with the fender. the fronts are untouched but rub slightly on a full turn. i didnt want to mess with taking out the lining so i will probably just grind the trim a bit later on. fronts can flush with about 3/4 inch. check out some pics!!

well i want a more agressive wheel stance at least just for the rears for now. i saw some 15 MM wheel spacers on ebay and was debating on using them for the rear...

the ebay spacers with extended lugs!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=003

and the wheel adapters!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=016

u guys think i should just go with the spacers (more expensive with changing out the studs...RIGHT????) or mess with the adapters... what would be more cost effective/ safer/ more agrressive maybe 20MM with 255/35/19s for rear?...

OPINIONS AND COMMENTS APPRECIATED. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sc400 2nv; 08-27-07 at 02:45 AM. Reason: updated!!!!!!! =)
Old 08-09-07, 07:47 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well here's my input. I had 19x8.5 +23 and 19x9.5 +24 with stretched 235/35/19 and 245/35/19. I also have shaved fenders all around. I was originally going to add a 15mm spacer with extended studs to have the actual rim flush with the front fender and leave the rear alone as it was flush enough for the height it was at but recently decided to go with a much more aggressive setup. I am not sure what your definition of "flush" or "aggressive" is since it looks like you are trying to get the tire flush with the fender. Depending on your height the rear may rub with the added spacers since you are not running a stretch setup. You should be safe with a spacer up front.
Old 08-09-07, 08:40 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

car looks fine to me. Dont sweat it haha
Old 08-09-07, 08:51 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

car looks excellent. leave it be.
Old 08-09-07, 09:42 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Nah. Dont listen to these guys. Itd look way better with them sitting flush. Im about to be getting some as well. So this is a good question.

I think the spacers and studs look like they would be stronger. Ive heard of adapters breaking. It looks like the recessed part, where the lug nut sinks in the whole, ...would be the weak link. Maybe not.?.
Old 08-09-07, 09:59 AM
Eggman
Pole Position

well, first take off a front wheel and a rear wheel to see if it even has pockets between the lug holes. you'll need pockets for the wheel adapters. if there's none, then you'll have to go with the first option. 15mm adapter will leave the oem studs protruding from the adapter. you'd have to go 25mm to clear the oem studs...

hope thats not too confusing of an explanation.
Old 08-09-07, 05:57 PM
sc400 2nv
Driver

eggman...yeah i know what u are talking about with the pockets...

so those wheel adapters are not very strong?????????
Old 08-09-07, 06:58 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm kinda interested in this as well. I just got my 19's but the ride height is a tad high so I want to lower it, which will definitely make the wheels tuck in more. Just curious, has anyone heard of any horror stories of accidents etc. from having front wheel spacers on? The max I'd go up front is probably about 15mm (and planning about a 10mm on the rear).
Old 08-10-07, 09:53 AM
Eggman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sc400 2nv
eggman...yeah i know what u are talking about with the pockets...

so those wheel adapters are not very strong?????????

having one extended stud is definitely 'stronger' than have two short ones. but if you want an easier solution, its the adapters. fyi, i've broken a couple studs on my wheel adapters. but i still rock em. too lazy to do extended studs.
Old 08-10-07, 01:04 PM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK13X
I'm kinda interested in this as well. I just got my 19's but the ride height is a tad high so I want to lower it, which will definitely make the wheels tuck in more. Just curious, has anyone heard of any horror stories of accidents etc. from having front wheel spacers on? The max I'd go up front is probably about 15mm (and planning about a 10mm on the rear).
Spacers should be fine. Just make to sure to get hubcentric spacers with extended studs from a reputable company. As far as adapters go, I've had friends that have had good luck with using them for extended periods of time and occasionally i've seen a stud or two break as well.
Old 08-10-07, 01:45 PM
sc400 2nv
Driver

hhhhmmmmm.... wheel aadapters seem a lot cheaper and easier! i may have to cut the stock stud tho once installed. the con is that when i get new rims in the future i will have to replace the oem studs that i chopped...

how much do u think a decent shop will charge to change out my 10 rear studs????????????
Old 08-10-07, 04:28 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

spacers w/built in studs are fine.

anytime a stud breaks is if they dont torque them evenly (or to spec)...same would happen to OEM wheel studs.

My SC has been on spacers for years...
My 2 Drift cars have spacers on them...never a problem and they take a serious beating @ times.
Old 08-11-07, 02:45 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These spacers are of high quality and not some cheapo at Pepboys that don't have the hub centric rings. But these spacers do. So when you talk about breaking the studs by using the spacers, please specify what kind of spacers are used and don't confuse the others by a vague statement.

I'm personally running 4 spacers (similar design like these). I had them all machine-customized in L.A. for $65/each. I use .25" for the front and .5" for the rear. I'm using .25" longer studs (some unknown brands but same SC diameter) for the front and 1" longer studs for the rear. The rear studs are ARP IS300 studs that costs almost $10 each.

I've driven my SC to 135 mph many times with no problem, including tight cornering all the time. I'd say go for these spacers. If you want only .5" spacers, let me know and I'll trade for you, so I can buy these EBay spacers. I'm still wanting the 1" spacers instead of .5" spacers. I'll also give you the IS300 studs as well. You can check with ARP for the price and you'll be surprised by the price of each stud.
Old 08-11-07, 06:45 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar offsets on my first set of wheels: 19x9+37 & 19x9.5+40. I dabbled with the thought of going with spacers, but I ended up just selling the wheels and buying Supra Turbo wheels for the interim. Turns out: I really like the Supra Turbo wheels and I may end up keeping them.

Enough people have warned me against wheel spacers for me to be hesistant. But, for every guys warning you that has never run them, there is another guy who is running them with success. Hard to say...
Old 08-14-07, 03:27 AM
sc400 2nv
Driver

thanks guys! the ebay guy that makes the 15mm spacer also makes 20mm wheel adapters with the studs on them already, for the same price.... after measuring, the 15mm spacers would be flush, but not as flushed as the 20 mm

i could rock the 20 mm adapter but would have to shave 1/4" more off the rears to very thin. tires will be very close to fender as i dont have stretched tires(too cheap to buy new ones), and plus the 15mm would be too pricy to install with extending the studs and all....

the 20 mm adapters are a cheaper way, more flushed, plus easier to install with the exception of shaving the fender to almost paper thin =). wish me luck. ill post pics when i finish...

Quick Reply: HELP! Flushing out my SC 19's w/ spacers or adapters for aggressive look