SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lil' Lovin' for the SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-01 | 04:14 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Default Lil' Lovin' for the SC

After someone posted the link to the maintenence article, I figured other people had questions like I do. First, spark plugs. Should I use NGKs, stock, or go with the local Autozone Bosch Super Plantiums? Changed the oil with Mobil 1 and used a M1 oil filter, but what about other points like rear end, 5 speed lube, power steering fluid, brake fluid, brake pads, fuel filter, pcv valve, plug wires, cap, rotor, etc? As for windshield washer fluid, will my SC need anything special like everything else does? I sure as heck hope not. I bought a fuel filter, pcv valve, and Fram air filter from Autozone, but will I need to stick with stock? I don't really have the cash flow after Christmas and all, so I would rather use auto parts store's stuff.
Old 12-30-01 | 05:48 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

It gets pretty humid, I would bet, in Arkansas, so I would plan on changing the brake fluid in your car. The brake fluid is hydrophilic, which means it loves water and absorbs it. The brake fluid when new is clear and clean. When old it is dark. It sucks in water via the rubber gaskets and condensation in the reservoir. This water can and will eat away at the expensive parts of the brake system like the master cylinder and the ABS valves, not to mention the caliper cylinders. When you put new pads on, you should fully flush out (not just bleed) your brake fluid until it runs clear and clean. Take care of the old stuff in a responsible manner. Brake fluid is not very expensive stuff. I would get it from your Lexus dealer. I change mine out every 15K miles along with the auto trannie fluid.
Old 12-30-01 | 11:17 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I am going to get my brakes bled as well, should i tell the service center to fully flush it? As for the plugs, use the Nippon Denso plugs which are used stock on Lexus and provide the best performance and longevity, especially the Iridium plugs which last 100,000 miles.
Old 12-30-01 | 06:01 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

I recommend the Denso Iridium sparkplugs or the NGK ones. Then as far the oil filter, did you say you used M1 old filter? I don't know if I would recommend anything other than stock. If I were you I would go to Lexus and get the stock one. It's made by Denso (quality stuff) and fits perfectly. Problem with other filters is that they're general fit, for many cars. I can't even remember how many times I got a piece of #### oil filter from the oil change place that leaked.
Old 12-31-01 | 12:55 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Any place that I can get some of these Denso puppies? Closest Lexus dealer is in Tulsa or Little Rock I believe. As for the Mobil 1 filter, it better be better than crap for 13 bucks, and not buying from a dealership. I would understand the price if I was getting it from the dealer.
Old 12-31-01 | 12:59 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

The 7 P's-
Proper and Prior Preperation Prevents **** Poor Performance!

By the way, the Arkansas Razorbacks are going to stomp a hole in some Sooner butt.
Old 12-31-01 | 06:04 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

goto to your local toyota dealership and pick up those little bad boys. They are going to run around $7 a piece, but they are well worth it. As for the M1 filter they are very good to use, it depends on how often you change your oil, with the M1 and the syntec oil, you wont have to change your oil for at least 8 months. Now that is longevity. Get the Iridium on the Denso plugs, they provide the cleanest and best spark. With that combo you are most likely to blow your heads right off

Erfan
Old 12-31-01 | 10:14 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Originally posted by Erfan
goto to your local toyota dealership and pick up those little bad boys. They are going to run around $7 a piece, but they are well worth it. As for the M1 filter they are very good to use, it depends on how often you change your oil, with the M1 and the syntec oil, you wont have to change your oil for at least 8 months. Now that is longevity. Get the Iridium on the Denso plugs, they provide the cleanest and best spark. With that combo you are most likely to blow your heads right off

Erfan
You're likely to blow your heads right off? 8 months on the syntetic oil? All it is good for is 3000 miles I thought.
Old 12-31-01 | 01:14 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Mobil 1 will handle it. Change oil with M1 and M1 filter. Drive 5k, change filter. Drive another 5k and change both again. Lingelfelter (spelling?) does it that way, among others and is highly recommended.