black sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lex Luthor for the info.
Old 01-07-02, 08:02 PM
Giro
I am banned.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stock supra tt lsd and the trd lsd are very different. First the stock supra tt lsd is a torsion type which means it can be partially engaged so both wheels are going but one is getting more power than the other. The trd lsd is a clutch type which is either open of fully locked.
Old 01-07-02, 11:30 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Giro is correct, the TRD is a superior unit to the Stock Toyota Torsen, but if you arent' doing road racing or drag racing, you will probably not notice the difference. When I raced on in the Texas Triathlon, my stock Toyota LSD gave my trouble on some of the tight corners on the auto-cross portion and a little trouble on the road course with on tire breaking loose. I have not seen any similar occurences with the TRD unit.

Ford 9"??? LOL, overkill unless you are shooting for 8's in to 1/4 (which the STOCK toyota rear end has already done)

Remember guys, that an open diff is a lot more forgiving than an LSD in inclement conditions.
Old 01-08-02, 02:26 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I have heard that a Jaguar independent rear suspension with a positrac can handle hella horses, was I told wrong? By the way, this was under a 69 Ford pickup, I am not being serious.
Old 01-08-02, 05:44 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Bean
I think you totally misunderstood me

the trd lsd is a RIPOFF... i say get the supra one... for minimal work get a 6-speed tranny and a lsd from a supraTT automatic since that particular lsd bolts right into the stock axles

But the stock axles only hold up to like 750hp or something....Clint broke some from what I hear. I'll swap in the SupraTT 6-speed axles too if (or when) I do it.

SR
Old 01-08-02, 08:43 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh is that all? LOL

Yeah if you're going for full out drag with slicks and suspension; best bet is to go for the TT axles too

Or the Ford 9" and whole rear section that you were talking about

Hell why not pick up a Strange Engineering setup... yknow the ones that handle the 6 second cars
Old 01-08-02, 04:58 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

The TRD LSD uses a cone system, doesn't it? Correct me if i'm wrong, I believe it's similar to an Auburn unit, no spider gears, etc. Also, aren't the splines on the NA and TT Supra axles different from each other? If that's the case, I hope you have the differential that goes with them when you upgrade. I wonder which spline pattern the TRD unit is designed to accept. Also, Clint has a great point about the weather, ever try to drive a car with a spool around a corner in the rain? Not fun.
Old 01-09-02, 04:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Also, Clint has a great point about the weather, ever try to drive a car with a spool around a corner in the rain? Not fun.

Amen to that. I used to have posi in my Nova, and I couldn't drive it when it rained.

Ditto for my car now...I don't even have LSD yet, and I can't drive it when it rains. I end up being sideways too much, so I just drive the truck is bad weather. I'm not looking to keep it as a daily driver...

SR
Old 01-09-02, 06:47 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Yeah, Steven, I just picked up an Explorer so I can take the SC4 off the road for some 'next level' sh#t. Then again, you, Scott, and Jeff have basically sold me on the turbo'd 2JZ, I just broke the news to the ball and chain that i'd be building one in 2003, maybe sooner. So, opinion plz Wiz, keep the 1UZ car and juice it for now, as I planned, and build up an SC3 as well, or just concentrate on one? So, what was in the Nova? Big Block? I've run the auburn in a couple cars, seemed to hold up pretty well and was still loose enough to corner with, though I did cook one on Hoosier DOT's and a decent-sized hit in my IROC. The axle actually backed out of the housing, I won't tell you how scary that was. Of course, that's when I finally gave in and used c-clip eliminators. It's unfortunate when all the guys in the tower at Englishtown know you, but it's because you're the guy who almost ate the guardrail at the end of a juice run because one of your axles backed out. I went absolutely ballistic.
Attached Thumbnails Limited Slip Diff.-compressed-iroc-englishtown-pits.jpg  
Old 01-10-02, 01:12 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
So, opinion plz Wiz, keep the 1UZ car and juice it for now, as I planned, and build up an SC3 as well, or just concentrate on one? So, what was in the Nova? Big Block?

Personally, I would spend the $500 for a Zex kit on the SC400, so you can have quick power from that. I would concentrate just on the SC300 after that, so the SC4 would be a daily driver with a little kick only when you want it, but the SC3, when done, would whoop major ***.

Nova went thru many phases. Last one was a 454 stroked and bored, b&m blower, muncie rockcrusher, all the goodies. On a launch the front end lifted a little too much, and I let off too much gas. Front end slammed the ground. Needless to say the front shock were likely the factory ones, and bottomed out instantly. Bent the entire front suspension. Smashed the oilpan into the crank, breaking it into 3 pieces. From that point, various engine pieces were scattered throughout the block...LOL I threw a 305 in it and sold it shortly thereafter, and went on to putting 350's into Fieros

Sucks about the axle....I bet THAT was one helluva ride...LOL

SR
Old 01-10-02, 05:39 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

A blown big block stroker with an M22 4speed? Luv it. Small blocks in Fieros? Luv it. Carrying the front wheels over the 60ft lights? Luv it. Funny how there's no gentle way to come down from a wheelstand, you either ride it out or smack it down. My T-Type used to get real crooked on the launch, you know how a G-body will twist the left front up much more than the right on a dead hook. The problem solved itself after I put more gear in, it would break the tires loose on the 1-2 shift and the front would come back down, lol. As far as the ride with the axle, you have no idea. That same car physically split the case on the 700R4 that HighTech had just built for me, and I was on the Sagtakos Pkwy at 5900rpm in OD 4th, you do the math. The fluid spewed out of the case, hit the exhaust, and caught fire. Between the two of us, we could start a whole thread on mishaps, hehe.
Attached Thumbnails Limited Slip Diff.-compressed-t-type-welds.jpg