If Carson toyota can make tail lights for GS

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07 | 02:18 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Default If Carson toyota can make tail lights for GS

Like these:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=2534

Wouldn't they have the resources and capability to make something for the SCs too? First of all, they are a major vendor on CL, so they wouldn't have to worry about getting banned. Secondly, they already have a manufacturer who can make led red/clear taillights for the GS. Thirdly, we all love Carson Toyota.

In stead of everybody saying, 'i want it too... i'm down for it... blah blah blah', we can gather some people like 20-30 and put a deposit, so they can get a ball rolling.

Any comments/ideas?
Old 08-24-07 | 03:05 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

GS has a bigger market, and personally I could care less about frivolous things like tail lights. I would rather see a cheaper SC400 lip being produced! Anyhow good luck with this endeavor.
Old 08-24-07 | 03:28 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Everyone is always all talk, only a handful get the job done.

I think they should be coming out soon though. I just bought some nice LED tails for my RX...and I don't think the market for the RX is that large...it definitely cannot be larger than the SC's...
Old 08-24-07 | 03:45 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Any possibility of hearing from a rep @ carson to see just exactly would have to happen to make any of this possible? If we had some cold, hard #'s to work with, such as: "for the initial batch we would need xx # of people, with a $xxx deposit and in xx weeks a balance of $xxx would be due for the first xx# produced".That would be a definite impetus to put up or shut up.
Old 08-24-07 | 03:47 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

like cleansc said, everyone is all talk. not many people will actually put a deposit down.

but ya i think it would be cool. even cooler if they just had the leds and wiring ready made and you could diy
Old 08-24-07 | 04:05 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

I agree, not many members are willing to fork out money for these...Plus, its hard enough to get any 1SC member to jump on any group buys...I doubt they will be coming out with anything similar for the 1SC...
Old 08-24-07 | 04:56 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

The fact of the matter is that GS's are worth 15K and up, SC's are worth 3K and up.

Even IF (which we do not) we had a big enough market for these, members would just end up complaining about the price and buy the 97 tails.

If this was 5 years ago.... yeah in a heartbeat. They'd sell and people would buy them. The SC has became the 1st gen ES, and the 2GS has became the SC. It's a dying breed.

It isn't about volume like it used to be, they knew the price would be paid for parts. Now it's about price to the market. The market for the Sc is Ebay now. The only reason to even build an Sc anymore is if you love your Sc because you'll own it for as long as it takes for you to feel like you got your money's worth before you chunk it in the paper for $5k and sell your mods.
Old 08-24-07 | 11:28 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Sad, but true.
Old 08-25-07 | 01:30 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The fact of the matter is that GS's are worth 15K and up, SC's are worth 3K and up.

Even IF (which we do not) we had a big enough market for these, members would just end up complaining about the price and buy the 97 tails.

If this was 5 years ago.... yeah in a heartbeat. They'd sell and people would buy them. The SC has became the 1st gen ES, and the 2GS has became the SC. It's a dying breed.

It isn't about volume like it used to be, they knew the price would be paid for parts. Now it's about price to the market. The market for the Sc is Ebay now. The only reason to even build an Sc anymore is if you love your Sc because you'll own it for as long as it takes for you to feel like you got your money's worth before you chunk it in the paper for $5k and sell your mods.
Are you telling me that a stock 93 GS300 is worth $15k? I find that hard to believe...
Old 08-25-07 | 01:58 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Just about any 10-15 year old car will be worth significantly less money than it was new..The way of cars with age is that they depreciate, with the exception of collectors models, this is always the case...The first Gen SC had a long run before redesign due to its advanced design and engineering. In the 90's most models were being redesigned every 3-4 years, so this states volumes for the SC. Of course now, the redesign of the First Gen SC is accomplished by the owners who have the resources, desire, vision and gumption to make those changes themselves...As is the case with any car that enters into tuner status. The SC is still not ideal for most tuners as it is expensive to bring up to stock condition, and even more so to modify, and it is quite a heavy platform to really tune...Most tuners are interested in light weight and nimble platforms, which the SC is not. In fact many "Luxury" vehicles are not tuned to any great extent except for the ones that are already being done by the manufacturer such as AMG for Mercedes, etc.

I gotta agree Brian, that the SC has definitely dropped in value, and as with almost all modified cars, they are not worth their cost in mods, but are really worth what the resale value dictates, or what any individual is willing to pay for the particular vehicle.

So, when I speak about the SC, I still speak of it with admiration and respect because it was and still is one "Hell of a car", even though its stock value has plummeted. And for those of us who want to make the investment to "customize" it...Well I say "KUDOS"!!!

Ryan

Last edited by SC400TT; 08-25-07 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-25-07 | 05:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Are you telling me that a stock 93 GS300 is worth $15k? I find that hard to believe...
I'm sure he is referring to a second gen GS (the vehicle for which Carson makes the lights). That would be 98+, 1st gen would be a much smaller market than the SCs.

The 2GS are dropping in value as well - you can get them now if you shop well for $9k (a 98 GS300) but it's a wide range of market value for the 2GS since there are so many newer models up to 2005.
Old 08-25-07 | 07:29 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I'm sure he is referring to a second gen GS (the vehicle for which Carson makes the lights). That would be 98+, 1st gen would be a much smaller market than the SCs.

The 2GS are dropping in value as well - you can get them now if you shop well for $9k (a 98 GS300) but it's a wide range of market value for the 2GS since there are so many newer models up to 2005.
Thanks for clarifying Dave...

Just as a FYI, I just pulled a search on the web for a list of legitimate 98 to 2000 SC400 models for a more accurate comparison of price ranges, and they were between $10k and $19k. Right in line with the prices of the Second Gen GS....

Ryan
Old 08-25-07 | 09:37 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Thanks for clarifying Dave...

Just as a FYI, I just pulled a search on the web for a list of legitimate 98 to 2000 SC400 models for a more accurate comparison of price ranges, and they were between $10k and $19k. Right in line with the prices of the Second Gen GS....

Ryan
Now pull up the production numbers for both cars.

The revamped 2g SC ran in extremely limited production for 3 years, one of those years only 500 were produced.

The 2GS ran for 7 years as one of the best selling cars lexus made.

The 2GS has only been out of production for 2 years, no one has seen a new SC in almost a decade.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-25-07 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-25-07 | 06:08 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Now pull up the production numbers for both cars.

The revamped 2g SC ran in extremely limited production for 3 years, one of those years only 500 were produced.

The 2GS ran for 7 years as one of the best selling cars lexus made.

The 2GS has only been out of production for 2 years, no one has seen a new SC in almost a decade.
Brian, that only serves to strengthen my point...Regardless of the low numbers sold in the last few years of production, the prices are still alongside the GS. The GS sold much better because of its utilitarian traits, and in America, more prefer 4 doors to 2 doors, and cabin roominess to less space.

Coupes generally never sell as much as sedans. I am not attempting to take away from the GS, only to state that the SC stands well on its own, and has represented itself well. It certainly accomplished its objective, and I think it incorrect to make a blanket statement that the SC can be bought for $5k. Yes, some less than that, and some much more...

Ryan
Old 08-25-07 | 06:18 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

It's not even remotely relevant to the fact that there are literally no cars in the demographic you are pushing towards. We were speaking of there being little to no cars that would buy this because they are now buying their parts off ebay for $50 rather than vendors for $250. Then you pointed out that there were big dollar SC's out there, and I replied with the fact that there were only a handful V/S an entire production run of freshly out of production GS's, answering the OP's question at the same time of why they can produce them for the GS which is still high dollar and demographically a good target market, V/S the Sc which hasn't seen production for going on 8 yrs and very low demographic target for high dollar items.

Quick Reply: If Carson toyota can make tail lights for GS