SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The complete dash piece is the biggest eyesore in these cars.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-07, 01:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default The complete dash piece is the biggest eyesore in these cars.

I have always though that the dash was ill portioned in these cars. With the latest trend of dashes getting bigger and bigger in cars (read: taller) I think I might have a new project in mind. When I stripped my parts car I kept everything including the dash. I was thinking the dash could be extended a little both on the top and the bottom to give it more surface area.

I'll snap a pic, do a little photoshop, and see if you dig what I'm saying. If I can get an idea together, I'm going to glass my spare dash to extend it's overall size. It's nice and wide, but not tall enough top to bottom IMO.
Old 08-28-07, 01:10 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm sounds interesting...
Old 08-28-07, 01:21 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

OK here's my tyte little photoshop skills at work.

Starting with a bottom modification, the pass side would be extended more then the drivers side to save the drivers knee's. The face would come out at the same extent as the factory dash and have a more sharp turn at the bottom rather than fading back under gracefully. This would produce a more forward surface area appearance. The drivers side would have a less broad face and curve under sooner to save the knees.

Old 08-28-07, 01:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

LOL, I am just messing around with this because I can. Check out my super glove box. LOL. (I know it's nasty....hehe)

For clarification, this is not what I am talking about lol. I want the dash to go straight down from the bottom of the glove box.
Attached Thumbnails The complete dash piece is the biggest eyesore in these cars.-lol.jpg  
Old 08-28-07, 01:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I wish I were better at photoshop. I'm not quite hitting my vision here......
Attached Thumbnails The complete dash piece is the biggest eyesore in these cars.-better.jpg  
Old 08-28-07, 02:00 PM
SnShne1jz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks ugly i think our dash looks perfectly fine.
Old 08-28-07, 02:04 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

me too^^^
If you do this olt, there will be very little room left for passangers. Especially for the taller people.
Old 08-28-07, 02:05 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Yes it does look ugly I can't get it right. If you like your dash, that's fine. That means you need to be on the "I like my dash" thread. This one is for experimenting with something new.
Attached Thumbnails The complete dash piece is the biggest eyesore in these cars.-better2.jpg  
Old 08-28-07, 02:06 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
me too^^^
If you do this olt, there will be very little room left for passangers. Especially for the taller people.
What's a passenger? LOL. I don't make a habit of toting people around. They're lucky I let them ride in the car at all. (in that rare instance i have a passenger). This car actually doesn't get driven but about 3 times per year. (can't usually find time to do what I want to do to it).

These little photoshops are fugly because I can't photoshop what I am trying to get at since I am no good with photoshop.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 08-28-07 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-28-07, 02:30 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
What's a passenger? LOL. I don't make a habit of toting people around. They're lucky I let them ride in the car at all. (in that rare instance i have a passenger). This car actually doesn't get driven but about 3 times per year. (can't usually find time to do what I want to do to it).

These little photoshops are fugly because I can't photoshop what I am trying to get at since I am no good with photoshop.
well in that case go for it!
Old 08-28-07, 03:40 PM
Chris22
Rookie

I think I understand what the thread starter is going at, but I think you're missing a fundamental. Big dashes are hot right now, no doubt, but they don't have any really large single color sections like you're "designing" on the SC. They have a larger bottum, then a divider (wood, aluminum, whatever) and then a larger top half. I think yorus looks a little off because the bottom part is huge and the top is tiny.
As an example, look at the LX interior -

It's a big dash, but it looks normal because the top and bottom pieces are similar sized.
Just my two cents

Chris
Old 08-28-07, 04:10 PM
habitat
Lead Lap

I'm only 5'7" and I drive a 5spd sc300 and sit like a rally driver and my knees already hit the bottom of the dash. Only if I had an inverted knee (picture a horse) would I be able to drive with a dash like that!
Old 08-28-07, 04:17 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Chris22
I think I understand what the thread starter is going at, but I think you're missing a fundamental. Big dashes are hot right now, no doubt, but they don't have any really large single color sections like you're "designing" on the SC. They have a larger bottum, then a divider (wood, aluminum, whatever) and then a larger top half. I think yorus looks a little off because the bottom part is huge and the top is tiny.
As an example, look at the LX interior -

It's a big dash, but it looks normal because the top and bottom pieces are similar sized.
Just my two cents

Chris
Correct Chris, that's why in post 3 I said "starting with lower" because I intended to follow up with a top photoshop, but I simply am not good enough with photoshop to pull this off. I am just going to glass it and go. When I get it right a picture will be much better I'm not even close to pulling off the vision I have with these chopped images. They are all wrong.
Old 08-28-07, 06:36 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

the top section definitely needs to be bigger, as in, coming out towards the driver more and not sloping downward as much
Old 08-28-07, 06:55 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neat project!

Quick Reply: The complete dash piece is the biggest eyesore in these cars.