SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Front Bumper Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 06:53 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Question

My front bumper was backed into, and the bumper was replaced. The Bodyshop called and informed me that the car was in a previous acctident and a patch job was done. Long story short I got my car back and the bumper is not lined up right. My headlights seem to protude more than before and the high beams are sunken in from the holes. What do I need to do to get the front bumper right? The Bodyshop gave me an estimate for removing the bumper, a rough pull, and new headlights. The total is about $1,000, with $750 being for new headlight. I have attached pictures for you to see.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Mousiee
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Question-p1010234.jpg  
Old 09-06-07, 06:54 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Here is another.
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Question-p1010235.jpg  
Old 09-06-07, 06:55 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Last picture.
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper Question-p1010236.jpg  
Old 09-06-07, 08:56 AM
habitat
Lead Lap

Even if it was previously banged up. They charged you that amount, I would expect better. and $750 FOR A HEADLIGHT? Ebay my friend.... or ALIGA....
Old 09-06-07, 09:03 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Nothing about this is correct.
Old 09-06-07, 10:18 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Nothing about this is correct.
agree somethings fishy
Old 09-06-07, 10:36 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your car says Lexus, and they are way overcharging you as a result.

I have had the bumper off by myself in 15-20minutes while carrying on a conversation with a neighbor at the same time. New headlights should run $200-300 used.

I notice that you are missing the weather gasket on the top of the bumper retainer. I would have that higher on my list than the headlight fitment.

With the stock headlights and highbeams, there is definitely some play in the mounts to get a few millimeters of sway here or there for the proper fitment.

It also looks like your top headlight mount may be broken on the side that is protruding. This is a possible source of the problem as well.
Old 09-06-07, 11:14 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by habitat
Even if it was previously banged up. They charged you that amount, I would expect better. and $750 FOR A HEADLIGHT? Ebay my friend.... or ALIGA....
I haven't paid the $1,100. I paid a total of $328 and some change for the bumber and paint. $200 was for my deductible and $128 for 25% of the bumper. The insurance company would not cover the whole bumper cost cause they said it was in an accident before/ The $1,100 is for fixing what is still wrong.

Mousiee
Old 09-06-07, 11:19 AM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
your car says Lexus, and they are way overcharging you as a result.

I have had the bumper off by myself in 15-20minutes while carrying on a conversation with a neighbor at the same time. New headlights should run $200-300 used.

I notice that you are missing the weather gasket on the top of the bumper retainer. I would have that higher on my list than the headlight fitment.

With the stock headlights and highbeams, there is definitely some play in the mounts to get a few millimeters of sway here or there for the proper fitment.

It also looks like your top headlight mount may be broken on the side that is protruding. This is a possible source of the problem as well.

What is this weather gasket you speak of? How much is it, and where can I get one?

I'll try to adjust the stock headlights and high beams.

My headlights need replacing bad. The top mounts are broken on both of them. Also there are cracks in the things that hold the high beams. You can see them in the pics. What can I do about that?

Thanks
Mousiee
Old 09-06-07, 11:25 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mousiee

My headlights need replacing bad. The top mounts are broken on both of them. Also there are cracks in the things that hold the high beams. You can see them in the pics. What can I do about that?

Thanks
Mousiee
Umm - you answered your own question...

Replace them. There is no need to buy new ones for $750 when you can get a set from many different places for $300.

Jonny
Old 09-06-07, 01:28 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dx3
Umm - you answered your own question...

Replace them. There is no need to buy new ones for $750 when you can get a set from many different places for $300.

Jonny
So you think if I get a new or good used set of headlights that will do the trick?
Old 09-06-07, 04:57 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

What is this weather gasket you speak of? How much is it, and where can I get one?
There should be a strip of rubber covering the bolts that connent the top of the bumper to the vehicle. This strip not only covers the bolts and looks nice, but it helps keep the engine bay more protected from the elements.

This is the best photo I could find from my files (during my BFI construction):
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...zy019/bfi1.jpg

Notice the rubber weather strip in the bottom right. You do not have this.

I'll try to adjust the stock headlights and high beams.
Adjusting the highbeams really requires the front bumper cover to be off. I am not sure if there is a DIY for that or not. Adjusting the headlights, on the other hand, simply requires that you are able to get into the fender wells.

My headlights need replacing bad.
PM Gazi (CL Member: Aliga). He can get you the headlights, highbeams, and weather strip. Headlights are ~$300. Highbeams are ~$50. I expect the weather strip to be ~$15.
Old 09-06-07, 06:43 PM
mousiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blizzy
There should be a strip of rubber covering the bolts that connent the top of the bumper to the vehicle. This strip not only covers the bolts and looks nice, but it helps keep the engine bay more protected from the elements.

This is the best photo I could find from my files (during my BFI construction):
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...zy019/bfi1.jpg

Notice the rubber weather strip in the bottom right. You do not have this.

Adjusting the highbeams really requires the front bumper cover to be off. I am not sure if there is a DIY for that or not. Adjusting the headlights, on the other hand, simply requires that you are able to get into the fender wells.

PM Gazi (CL Member: Aliga). He can get you the headlights, highbeams, and weather strip. Headlights are ~$300. Highbeams are ~$50. I expect the weather strip to be ~$15.

Thanks for your help, btw.........nice build you have going!
Old 09-06-07, 07:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your help, btw.........nice build you have going!
no problem man.

more than anything, I am here to help...even with my build. I am more interested in building a foudation for future SC4's as oppossed to making my own car tear it up.

if you have any random questions, don't be afraid to ask me through PM. I will do my best to either get you to an answer or direct you to someone who can give you one.