SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wired 97+ foglights with harness and switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 10:13 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wired 97+ foglights with harness and switch

Hey guys, ever since I had my 97 front bumper installed, my fogs were wired to come on with my headlights. For the longest time I wanted to find away where I could implement a switch to turn the fogs on/off when I wanted to. Well a few weeks ago I noticed my passenger side foglight did not work even though the bulb was new. This was motivation for me to re-do the wiring with a new harness and decent switch. I finally had the time to tackle this today. I found various universal harnesses on the internet, but the switches they came with were ugly in my opinion. While on ebay, I found a set of aftermarket oem style 02-04 Toyota Camry foglights with harness/switch included. What was even better was that the seller was local so I picked up the package for $45 out the door. Shipped price is around $54 I believe. I know we are not supposed to post ebay links and hope the Mods don't mind, but it is necessary for my explanation: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=016
It is probably pretty pricey for just a harness, but the benefits include the 9006 bulbs it comes with that can be used for the low beams and the foglight housings can probably be sold to offset some of the cost.

Anyways...
Even though it did not come with directions, installation was pretty straightforward as I used a diagram from another harness. I had to cut off the 9006 connectors since I did not need them. I extended the wires to the foglight housings on each side by about 1-2 feet and attached spade connectors at the ends to connect to the H3 housing. You can also get oem connectors (2 X part number 90980-11156) from Toyota if you want that OEM style installation. I ran the red wire from the relay directly to the battery and the ground wire to a nearby fender. For the switch power wire, I tapped it into the cigarette lighter and the ground I used a nearby screw while I had the center console out. I am still not sure on where I wanted to mount the amber lit switch so I just left it hanging under the ebrake. If anyone has any questions or would like to tackle this just let me know as I would be happy to help with what I can.

Sorry no step by step pics, but here are some pics of some wiring and a small vid of how it works.

Last edited by TheMole; 12-17-07 at 12:03 AM. Reason: grammar...
Old 09-10-07, 10:24 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

I was totally with you until you went through the door jamb for the wiring and left the switch hanging.

Fix that for the approval of the masses. For a suggestion, remove the keyless switch down by the trunk and gas release by letting it sit loose behind the dash and pop that in it's place with a little epoxy.
Old 09-10-07, 10:31 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Hm I might have to take you up on those suggestions. Where else would I run the wiring to the engine bay, through the firewall? I'll look into the trunk/gas release tomorrow when theres daylight. Any other ideas on where to mount it? I don't want to cut out a rectangle on any of my panels haha.
Old 09-10-07, 10:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Well it's a custom job, you gotta do custom work.

You're driving an auto, so you have a spot in the firewall where there should be, but is not, a clutch pedal so that is open real estate and a clean path through.
Old 09-10-07, 10:42 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Cool man thanks I'll definately look into that . The door jam seemed the easiest though the moving parts of the hinge did cross my mind.