SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: What should I do about being Hit & Run
POLICE - they always get it done right anyway dont they?
30.14%
LAWYER - try to subpoena the debit card name so go for blood!
57.53%
PRIVATE I - no one gives two rat poops about you so it's the only way to get him!
8.22%
EAT THE COST - what's 3000+ dollars in repairs? You own a lexus so you must be rich right?!
4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Hit and Run - have the guy on video!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 11:12 PM
aznxenon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

damnn, messed up =\
Old 09-12-07, 04:16 PM
SCFrogger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trust me on this one, first concentrate on getting a copy of the tape and then get a lawyer. getting a copy of the tape is harder than you would think sometimes, at least it was for me when i had a hit and run in a parking lot. since youre already in the hole i would say this is your best chance at "actually" finding the guy. im not so sure the police will hunt down financial institutions for another car accident because its not really worth their time. plus you might not even have to pay the lawyer that much in the end cause once you find him you can sue him for all kinds of awesome damages due to his neglect and your trauma. i would consult one at least.

oh yeah, when i had my incident, i told the cops i had the liscense plate number and they told me they couldnt give me the information on who it belonged to and i thought i was completely stuck. i googled liscense plate and $15 bucks later, i had a street adress and a phone number.
dont give up man. i would use some editing tricks on that tape to get the number. sharpen/lighten/darken etc.. thats what they do for robberies etc..

really sorry though man. hope you get a hold of em
Old 09-13-07, 01:21 PM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

What's the update on what you are doing? Hopefully the store doesn't "lose" the receipt or "erase" the tape. I have heard that kind of thing happening a lot.
Old 09-13-07, 01:56 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

yeah, get that video. the police often doesn't have enough man power to persue your claim. i would even hire a private agency and once you get him, which you will, you can get all kinds of money from him. also, it's a company truck so you know he has insurance. get that f@u@C@K@E@R
Old 09-13-07, 02:46 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

goodluck on this issue bro- I wish you the best
Old 09-14-07, 08:43 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the moment here is where it all is:

The police are still waiting to assign the case to a hit and run detective. I spoke with the Sgt of the Hit and Run division just a moment ago and he said since it happened on Tuesday, it generally takes 1 full week to even get assigned. Then another 3 weeks to find the individual. He also mentioned that getting CC information is MUUUCH more difficult than I was probably told (where myself being a business owner I know that it's not that hard at all to get the information). Considering his comment about the CC info, I would have to surmise that this would often come down to the company not wanting to be helpful to the police. Now granted the regional manager for Circle K could have just been blowing smoke up my butt to keep me calm long enough for them to figure out a way to not be culpable in any way for this snaffu..... But I didn't read him that way and everything from their end does seem legit.

All the same, I want private legal backing. But my concern there is, if I lawyer up too soon I don't want it to interfere with the police being able to do their job.. Or somehow get the police angry with me for not letting them have the "time it takes to do these things with my overworked 5 detectives"...

The Sgt. straight off suggested that I get my insurance company to just cover and fix it then get the money back from the guy once he's found. And I'm sorry but that is just WHACK! I wont do that. (not to mention I cant as I'd sadly stated before as to why)

Starting today I'm calling more lawyers. That said - anyone in the Tampa Bay area who knows of a true knife fighting lawyer here who loves cases like this? Or heck, even suggestions in general to the type of attorney's I should be calling for this? All info is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-14-07, 08:50 AM
bangdangvn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man...sorry to hear about your accident but if i saw you randomly taken pics of my tag as if im the defendant I would've laid your *** down then few dozen people would be there in a minute. But then again sorry to hear.
Old 09-14-07, 08:51 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm assuming that if your damage is over a certain amount, the cops may help you out a little bit more in the way of getting his info and finding him. but then again, if you feel to uncomfortable with the cops you could hire some1 to track him down. most likely it will cost you a penny or two, but if you find some1 that knows people in high places, i'm sure you'll find the guy. or option 3 would be to go to that gas station at the same time u were there on that day u got hit everyday and wait for the guy to come back. i bet it wasnt the first or last time he'll be there.
Old 09-14-07, 10:11 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

sharingan - I know how people can be defensive - but I'm not an easy one to physically overpower so that would be a problem That said, I was very open about what I was doing while walking the lot snapping pictures and more people understood than not.

miniround - I have considered that exact thing. Only problem is I have to be places each day and sitting in the parking lot every morning is tough to do on a schedule. So far I've taken to driving through the lot on my by that corner on my way out each morning... Hardly as effective as sitting there for a full hour each day I know - but it's what I can do while still handling my responsibilities elsewhere.
Old 09-14-07, 11:42 AM
p3lon
Driver School Candidate

that sucks. that guy most been drug to hit u. and still pump gas.
Old 09-14-07, 01:06 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

After quite a few of the same conclusions being drawn by the people I work with and friends alike - it's most likely that he was an employee of a small business. This would explain the totally unmarked panel truck as many small businesses buy these type of trucks and have no money or need to wrap them in colorful billboards and logos - even our company has an 18 footer that's totally unmarked which we use to haul around skids of paper and printed gang runs for UV coating or Die cutting at our vendors locally.

In this often tread train of thought - he was a afraid of loosing his job over the accident, and since the truck had to be fueled to be worked with and he was on the clock likely with a place to be (and if he was late he'd be fired) he took the chance and still got gas right there at the scene of the crime.

The sad part is though, that running from the accident will ultimately get him fired - where manning up at the time of the incident likely would not have.

Now - that is all 10,000% speculation.... but outside of him simply being on drugs or drunk at the time it happened - or even driving without insurance and without a drivers license (oh so very VERY common in flori-DUH! ) it seems like the most likely scenario to me and people I've talked with.
Old 09-16-07, 11:56 AM
suprfly
Driver School Candidate

If Circle K decides to be **** heads, they can ask that you get a warrant for the evidence.
Old 09-17-07, 09:35 AM
chuggernot
Driver School Candidate

i'm kinda confused (it happens a lot), what were you doing in the store that you didnt see someone in a huge *** truck smack into your car. i have a hard time sleeping at night cause i can't see my lexus in my garage. i couldnt imagine not seeing someone in a box truck hitting it in daylight. were the windows in the store all jammed up with posters or were you looking at the adult magazines and not paying attention to the outside world

if it were my car, i'd try and get as much info from the gas station and the cops and then go pay the SOB a visit late one night. hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-17-07, 10:09 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

It's a huge convenience store on a busy intersection and I was all the way past the in-store deli and Pastry shop by the Fountain drinks and hotdogs and things. There is no way you can keep an eye on your car at that place. It's got 16 gas pumps to boot and the only free one available when I pulled up was on the last inner edge allll the way down at the opposite end of the building from there the doors and pay counters are.

It's just one of those things - and the culprit took advantage of that.
Old 09-17-07, 10:48 AM
lxsdude
Driver School Candidate

You are probably too late to get any info or video from the convenience store if this happened to you a week ago. You should not wait any longer and get what you can from them.

Do you have any pictures of the damage? How bad is it? Hopefully, it's something that will not cost too much to repair since you may not be able to get this guy to pay for it. Post some pics and closeups.

Where are you located again?

Quick Reply: Hit and Run - have the guy on video!!!