SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: What should I do about being Hit & Run
POLICE - they always get it done right anyway dont they?
30.14%
LAWYER - try to subpoena the debit card name so go for blood!
57.53%
PRIVATE I - no one gives two rat poops about you so it's the only way to get him!
8.22%
EAT THE COST - what's 3000+ dollars in repairs? You own a lexus so you must be rich right?!
4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Hit and Run - have the guy on video!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-07, 10:59 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Hit and Run - have the guy on video!!!

So get this. I stop this morning to get gas at the local corner store I get gas from most days and while inside a full size non marked panel truck turns too wide and runs his front bumper down the driver's side back third of what *was* my flawless 100k 2 owner (I'm the second owner) SC400....

Then the guy pumps gas, pays on a Debit card inside the store and watches me freak out in the parking lot - and dips!

This is all on video tape..... I know, because I watched the tapes after the fact and saw it all.

But here's the thing that concerns me (out of all the things of course!). No one knows who the guy is and since he paid on a Debit card there was no name on the receipt for the transaction. I've filed the incident with the police (which was only possible because he left the scene which made it a civil crime even though it was on private property - in a *way* I lucked out there maybe?...) and have a report number which will be assigned to a desk officer in the city department's hit and run division. The regional manager for Circle K has been contacted to provide hard copy prints (only he can do this apparently.... which days or weeks to the process) to the police department for inclusion within my case file. And with any luck because the guy paid on a Debit card he can be found through the merchant account of the Circle K corporation (the CC Processing company would have the guys name).

But let me ask you.... Are this person's rights to privacy still applicable in this situation? Will the police be able (or even willing is probably the probable question) to subpoena that person's name from the transaction records of the CC processing company that Circle K uses? Would a private law firm be able to do that? A P.I,?

This might sounds like heresy but I didn't have collision insurance on my SC400 because at the time I switched insurance to this vehicle on my existing policy I wasn't totally happy with the cost they offered for that coverage - as a result I said I'd look elsewhere but keep legal for the time being with my current policy at the moment. But life, as it often does, has kept my mind elsewhere and as a result...... if I don't find this A-HOLE I'm worried I'm totally hosed!

So what do think? What should I do, what is the likely outcome of this situation, anyone have previous similar experience to share? Oh, I'm in Tampa Florida btw.....
Old 09-11-07, 11:05 AM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Man, sorry to hear about that. Do you think the guy realized he hit you? I hope he pays for it and is prosecuted.
Old 09-11-07, 11:14 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

On the video tape - he watches me over his shoulder from the counter of the convenience store while I'm discovering the damage by the gas pump. He WATCHES ME...... but doesn't seem to entirely uncomfortable about seeing me discover it either - and he promptly leaves the store and drives away from the scene at that point.

Check out my poll - what do you think is the best course of action on this? Without the name from the Debit Card transaction I think I'm SOL... so that to me is the linchpin of the whole situation.
Old 09-11-07, 11:19 AM
Fireblaze
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not too sure, but the should be able to use the video as evidence. Just make sure to push for something to be done and follow the claim, or they might not really do anything. That is a hit and run and he is in deep ****.
Old 09-11-07, 11:27 AM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

I'm hoping it's a company truck - at least that way I can be pretty sure it has insurance on it. If he's a private owner of a truck in Florida.... And this is of course just me being pessimistic and I recognize that - but he probably wouldn't have insurance, or even a driver's license... why else leave the scene?

And your right man - IF (that at this point is a huge if) he can be found - he's in hot water.

MAN I hope there is legal precedent for that Debit Card information to be disclosed!!!
Old 09-11-07, 01:27 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

what about a tag # on video?
Old 09-11-07, 02:13 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

in legal matters, his name must be provided when the agent has a permission.
Old 09-11-07, 03:26 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

The video it's self for the outdoor camera's doesn't appear to be high res enough to get the tag number. Which is a damn shame because it's facing RIGHT AT THE CAMERA.... But, if the disclosure of the Debit card owner's name is going to happen for the investigating officer - they will find the guy - and that is an idea I like to think

What a pain in the *** ya know?!
Old 09-11-07, 05:03 PM
pblake10
Driver

Originally Posted by CLRH2O
The video it's self for the outdoor camera's doesn't appear to be high res enough to get the tag number. Which is a damn shame because it's facing RIGHT AT THE CAMERA.... But, if the disclosure of the Debit card owner's name is going to happen for the investigating officer - they will find the guy - and that is an idea I like to think

What a pain in the *** ya know?!
thats exactly what it is..a pain in the *** becuase some guy couldnt be responsible about the situation...

sorry to hear about it and i hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-11-07, 05:56 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you confront him at the scene? I would've gone ballistic (it's happened to me too).
Old 09-11-07, 06:06 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

take him to court make him fix your car!
Old 09-11-07, 07:21 PM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Ugh, someone hit my car but i have no idea when or where... So im stuck with a dented, scratch rear panel.. Horray?
Old 09-11-07, 07:52 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Am I reading this wrong or did you just stand there and let the guy go?
Old 09-11-07, 08:21 PM
pblake10
Driver

Originally Posted by CLRH2O
This is all on video tape..... I know, because I watched the tapes after the fact and saw it all.
Im guessing you didnt know it happened until you went back out to your car
Old 09-11-07, 09:38 PM
CLRH2O
Pole Position

That's right - I had no clue anything was wrong until leaving the store and walking back to my car @ the pump. At that point I'd say I spent all of 10 seconds in the lot before I was back inside - at which I promptly stated for the whole store hear "If you hit the gold lexus out front you'd better speak up now because you did it directly in the line of the outdoor surveillance camera..." (which I saw was pointed DEAD ON my car while walking back inside).

Of course no one said **** and a lot of faces looked toward the ground :/

After speaking with one of the counter attendants and the manager (who both happened to be right up front) for easily less than a minute - I proceeded outside to take pictures of every license tag I could take shots of (very nearly having to lay out one guy and getting cussed at by a second younger guy for taking said pictures). All the while I was unaware that the truck that did the damage was driving off as I headed outside to start taking pictures.

Once I was done with the pictures and made it back in the store - I was invited into the office to view the video that the manager had been reviewing. Shed located the truck that had hit my car AND said he still stopped to get gas and come inside to pay.

It was when I had very first discovered that my car had been hit that the guy who hit me was at the counter paying (with a pin numbered online Debit Card which is HOPEFULLY how we'll track his *** down and bust him!). And watching this A-hole WATCH ME discover my "crash up derby" mobile over his shoulder as he paid just pushed my resolve over the top.

I'll do what it takes to pursue the puke - bank on that.

And if I had found the guy while still there he would NOT have been able to leave that parking lot.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run - have the guy on video!!!