SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Thank You ImportToys!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02 | 07:51 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Talking Thank You ImportToys!

I received my SC300 MAF adaptor today via UPS!!! I was so happy, I actually paused GTA3 to run out into the garage and install it. It was packaged just as I had asked, and I received it promptly. Thank you for the good service.

I know, the engine bay needs a bath...
Old 01-07-02 | 08:03 PM
cupete
Pole Position

Maybe the guy at an auto accessory shop was trying to sell me a K&N filter but according to the guy at the shop, the filter shown above in Matt3t4's car is too small for our V8 cars. He said that those filter is ideal for 4-cylinder cars... Well, I bought the K&N filter, which is about double the size, and I was really surprised to see the difference.

Just wanted to share.

Peter~
Old 01-07-02 | 08:08 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

The one I used is probably ideal for a 4-cyl, but it should do the job. My sponsor is mainly a Honda builder, so I grabbed one they had up there. Although, this filter does not look like it has much less surface area than the stock flat filter. I want to pick up an A'pex cone filter, but it can wait for now. Mine is a 6-cyl by the way.
Old 01-07-02 | 08:40 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

I'm sorry guys, but what does the adaptor do? Why can't you put on a K&N cone filter on the stock plastic tubing and leave it alone? That's what I have and it works fine. What does the adaptor do?
Old 01-07-02 | 08:42 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

Originally posted by DIrEctQL
I'm sorry guys, but what does the adaptor do? Why can't you put on a K&N cone filter on the stock plastic tubing and leave it alone? That's what I have and it works fine. What does the adaptor do?
Do you have a picture? What did you do with your MAF sensor if you put it straight on the plastic?
Old 01-07-02 | 09:00 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

I didn't do anything. I took off the stock airbox that's around the stock filter. After removing it there was a big plastic tube with MAF sensor right there. All I did is bolted down the filter (K&N with 3" tube) and that's it.

PS. I'm sorry, I keep on refering it to as K&N, it's actually an AEM filter but K&N makes it for them.
Old 01-07-02 | 09:01 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Mat....did u just order the MAF adaptor off their website, or did u call them and ask for a SC3 MAF adaptor? The reason i am asking is b/c i didn't think that the MAF adaptor was the same for the SC3 and SC4.
Old 01-07-02 | 09:06 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

D, what year is your SC300? When I took off the airbox, there was no tube from the MAF. It was kinda like a pyramid shaped curvature, with four sides that lead directly to the MAF sensor. Maybe yours is different, but for the 1992, you need an adaptor plate with a tube on it to hold the filter.

M, I just ordered it from their website when he told me it fits both. It is actually under the SC400 section, so I was a little worried, but it is a perfect fit, couldn't ask for anything better.
Old 01-07-02 | 09:47 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

I just ordered mine. Hopefully it will get here soon. How long did it take to recieve urs mat?
Old 01-08-02 | 02:23 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

I decided to keep the stock "look" for awhile, sit the apexi and maf adapter on the shelf till spring, but took off the snorkle and installed a K&N. I have yet to drive it yet, but do you guys think its a good idea to run it without the snorkle or to trim the bottom side of it? Just my luck tonight, I had every tool EXCEPT for my open end 10mm, that last screw under the headlight is a real punk to get out. Also, I have some oil and residue on the shield under the distributer cap, is that normal? Getting steam cleaned tomorrow.
Old 01-08-02 | 04:44 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

just for comparison..i have that same basic size filter on my car and flow 537 rwhp through it... i think it gets enough air to the motor....Jeff
Old 01-08-02 | 05:44 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

shutdown20,

I have yet to drive it yet, but do you guys think its a good idea to run it without the snorkle or to trim the bottom side of it?
I tried removing the snorkel on my 95 SC400, but after a one day of driving I put it back on, after trimming the bottom side a little (3 inches). Without the snorkel car war running loudly, to the point that it was driving me crazy. The trimmed snorkel is little bit louder (if any), and non intrusive.

Hopefully this helps,

Chris K.
95 SC400
Old 01-08-02 | 06:41 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

MatT3T4,

What diameter is the filter's tube . I just ordered the adpater plate, but I want to get the APEXI filter to go with it, and it would be nice to order the correct one.

Thanks,

Chris K.
95 SC400
Old 01-08-02 | 06:50 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Get the $80 Apexi universal. Bought my MAF plate from a local speed shop but its not here with me.
Old 01-08-02 | 06:54 AM
MatT3T4
Driver

MyLex: It took less than 2 weeks. Pretty good delivery time. I was honestly expecting it to take longer. Also, since UPS delivered it, I'm not too sure when it arrived, I kinda noticed the small *** "UPS was here" slip last night. We never use the front door, and UPS put the small box on an eave hanging over the door, so I could have missed it for a few days.

ShutDown: I'd probably just run it with the snorkle until you are ready to replace the unit. DON'T TRIM ANYTHING! I made that mistake with my old Honda. When I would upgrade a part, I would tear and cut the stock ones, and that's a mistake. I carefully removed my airbox in one piece last night, so if I ever want to replace it, it will be fine.

ChrisK: I am not sure off the top of my head. I ran into a small problem last night, because the filter I grabbed was an APC Intimidator (I know *******s, shut up...lol)...and I think it was meant for a Honda diameter. The outside of the rubber tube piece matched with the outside of the adaptor, so I had to muscle it on, and use a screwdriver to get the last 30 degrees of the circumference of the rubber part around the adaptor. It fits good now, very tight, but I'd try to order a filter a little larger than the regular size...

Quick Reply: Thank You ImportToys!