SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ect with mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-07, 09:49 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCpwner
Gotcha... that makes sense then. So you have a 5spd sc300 or an auto? I get about 19 mpg with stop and go constantly. I'm only on the highway for about 1/2 of a mile. Im about to yank my AC though i never use it and could use the power gain and stop draining power from my engine.
Manual's don't come with ECT. I wish to god I had a manual though. After YEARS of driving nothing but manuals, I picked up an auto bc I was in a hurry to get a car. i'm definitely going to convert it to a manual in the future, but right now I'm focused on a different project car, so this one is only getting cosmetic upgrades for the time being. I can't afford for it to have any dowm time right now since it is my DD & I drive so much during the week. When I either finish one of the other cars or pick up a bike(torn btwn a 'busa and a600rr), I'll tear this car down and work on it over the winter. Yeah, stop & go kills your mpg. Especially if you drive hard like I do. Honestly, I punish my cars. This is the only one that hasn't seen any sort of track time, but with the auto, I don't see the point. However, I maintain them to stand up to the abuse, and it makes all the difference in the world. A long time ago, a friend's parent told me that not driving a car to it's(your) potential is like being with a beautiful woman and never f'ng her; a complete waste. I took that to heart. Back on topic. The lack of use of AC is a big contributor, since it's pulley driven. You should definitely see some gains by the elimintation. Before you yank it completely, be sure that you(and your passengers) can absolutely live without it. Cruising @ 80 on the highway definitely yields better gains than having to sit in traffic, and getting caught @ lights. If you are primarily driving in those conditions, 19mpg is pretty good. You also have to consider unsprung weight. I sold the 17's that were on my car bc they didn't look right, and I'm riding on stockers until I revamp the car entirely. Hence the plethora of parts sitting around my house. If you have rims that are heavier than the stock wheels, you'll see some loss in mpg. If you frequently have passengers or cargo, that'll affect things. As much as people try to say their isn't a difference - the type of gas that you put in your car as well. It's all the little things that add up.