SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tonight's project - interior paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 11:22 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tonight's project - interior paint

Here's a little story in pictures of what I did tonight in breaks on helping my roommate with his car.

Here's my dirty car about a week ago, with the 3-spoke SC300 steering wheel and the all tan interior:

Then I put my 98+ Supra wheel on, and noticed that the steering column just wasn't going to cut it in tan.

So at work I picked up some of this:

And upon reassembly we got this:

I only used a few coats, as I wanted it to stay dull enough to look factory. I was pretty pleased with how it came out.

As you'll notice, the center console was removed too. I painted it and the cup holders, and here is the final result:

The rear cup holder was my "test piece" and ended up getting painted 3 times before I was willing to tackle the noticeable pieces, and even so I didn't even use a full can of the VHT paint. (and yes I know my interior needs cleaned up)
Old 10-01-07, 11:28 PM
menty
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you sand it or anything or did you just spray it?
Old 10-01-07, 11:41 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

I used watered down Simple Green to clean the pieces really well before I painted them. I gave each piece of the steering column a couple of coats, the center console ended up getting 3 coats.
Old 10-02-07, 12:11 AM
Curry
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like it. Looks good. Now clean your car!
Old 10-02-07, 05:10 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

that actually looks quite nice! I might try this when converting my tan supra seats to black...the first try really didn't get the result i was looking for

is it a semi-gloss paint or something else?
Old 10-02-07, 06:06 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

black parts looook good
Old 10-02-07, 06:31 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about you guys, but I'm digging the custom cup holder where the radio used to be.
Old 10-02-07, 06:43 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kaotiq
I don't know about you guys, but I'm digging the custom cup holder where the radio used to be.
+2 .Gunnar have you looked into using the leather/Vinyl dye. I painted some panels on my last sc400 and after a while i noticed it started flaking .I used dye on my Glove box and it held pretty well on there .The paint usually have a tendancy to flake since it dont penetrate like the dye does Its looking good though p.s .selling that supra wheel?
Old 10-02-07, 08:44 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks pretty good man. Now you can finish the dash, window trims, rear trims for that black/tan conversion.=)
Old 10-02-07, 09:06 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your plans for the tan *****, flasher button, and text above the *****? Seems like that will be a pita to change.

Regarding paint vs dye, I read a post a while ago about something called molecubond. The company has changed names to colorbond. The product apparently bonds at the molecular level to change the color...so you would maintain the stock texture...and it never cracks or chips.
Old 10-02-07, 09:18 AM
Pezlo
Driver

some orange soft scrub will clean up that leather very well! changed my from a faded grey to the oem tan color =]
Old 10-02-07, 09:23 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

I'm not really sure about the *****/buttons/text. I unscrewed those pieces and painted it without any attachments on it. I'd imagine those pieces would be hard to paint, I may just keep an eye out for buttons/***** off of a black interior'd car.

The paint was a bit of a dye I believe. It'd go on very glossy and sort of soak into the material and dull up and on the steering column especially it looks like a factory piece. It claims it won't flake off, and the pieces all retained the stock texture like you said.

Kaotiq, the previous owner took out the radio for some reason and the climate control was just sitting on the bottom of the DIN opening so I improvised.
Old 10-02-07, 09:31 AM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Oh and the Supra wheel isn't for sale but if anybody wants the 99-00 SC300 wheel it's a definite improvement over the stock 4-spoke, even if I didn't figure out how to patch up the airbag.
Old 10-02-07, 12:42 PM
1JZ300
Lexus Test Driver

smooth keep the pics coming, i was one of the guys who wanted to convert my int to black...looks nice, MORE PICS
Old 10-02-07, 08:44 PM
twin lex
Driver

Originally Posted by 1JZ300
smooth keep the pics coming, i was one of the guys who wanted to convert my int to black...looks nice, MORE PICS
I would also like to see more pics of the interior, only after the detail gets done

Quick Reply: Tonight's project - interior paint