SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tomorrow is official SC-shopping day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 09:09 AM
100mgbluep
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you can do crazy amounts of things with the 300 since so many of the supra parts are compatible. If i was in your situation, id take the 97 sc300 and run
Old 10-06-07, 09:13 AM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go for the 97 BLACK sc.. much better than that 92... youll understand..

also if it were to be the jade vs onyx

ill still go with the onyx
Old 10-06-07, 10:43 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Heading out now...

making a beeline for the city where the '97/Jade/Auto and the '97/Black/Auto are located.

Wish me luck, I'll let you know what I find, and another extra thanks to all of you for your advice!

I'll probably be checking this thread from my Windows Mobile device as we drive over there (~1 hour) so feel free to keep posting points.
Old 10-06-07, 01:43 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
It's sounding like folks buy the SC4 and other than a few bolt-ons, that's about it for modification because it's so inherently powerful from the factory.
It sounds like folks buy the SC3, which is greatly modifiable and tune it like crazy. Is this perception correct or am I off? No ego here, so let me know...
You are entirely correct. Given your tendancy to like to modify cars and have lots of them to keep mileage down, an SC300 is for you.

If you could get a compression test done on the motors of the cars that you are looking at before buying, that would be an excellent indication of whether or not the motor is healthy enough for boost.

All told, I think the Sewell Lexus SC will be your best bet to fit your needs since it has the newer body and few enough miles to likely still be healthy enough for some boost. At the same time, it is the cheapest of the bunch...meaning more money for mods.
Old 10-06-07, 04:37 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Blizzy
All told, I think the Sewell Lexus SC will be your best bet to fit your needs since it has the newer body and few enough miles to likely still be healthy enough for some boost. At the same time, it is the cheapest of the bunch...meaning more money for mods.
Well the journey was fruitless:
  • the Sewell '97/SC300/Jade/Auto/113k/$6900 was sold and gone
  • the '97/SC300/Black/Auto/150k/$6900 was...ok. Maybe less than ok.
    • The motor sounded/looked fine. No oil pools anywhere but it'd been really cleaned it looked like.
    • The tranny felt slippish, but I'd need a longer drive to make sure.
    • The hood-fender gap on the passenger side was 90% uniform except for the hood being slightly lower than the fender for a foot or more of its length
    • I could barely get the hood open. It seemed to be down too far after using the hood release. You had to really cram your hand in there to get to the latch. There could be something going on with that hood/front end, although the Carfax report showed nothing. (Which is meaningless as long as the repairs were less than XXXX dollars, I know)
    • The trunk supports were gone.
    • The likely deal-killers were the areas of missing clearcoat & paint just behind the c-pillar going back onto the trunk on the passenger side.
    • There was a bare spot on the steering wheel and the driver's outside seat bolster leather was not in good shape at all.
    • She looked quite tired.
    • I don't want to cough up ~$6000, only to have to turn around and cough up a few more thousand for a paint job.
  • Finally got to Texas Motor Speedway at 4:50 in time to watch several beautiful classic cars pass us at the exits. Yep, the Good Guys show ended at 5:00.
  • Well, I'll at least LOOK at the SC400 down at Sewell Dallas. Nope. Strangely enough, Sewell Dallas closes at 6PM on Saturday evenings.
*Sigh* A day completely wasted... And no SC.... And the SC prospects are completely exhausted. Time to start searching anew I guess.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 10-06-07 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 05:23 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hang in there man. Usually car shopping takes patience and is tiring, but is rewarding when you find the right SC. Have you tried craigslist.org yet? My popular searches are "sc300" and "sc 300". Just replace the 3 with a 4 if you are looking for the sc400.
Old 10-06-07, 06:12 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wheels on that 92 are no prize, for the price to were the 97s look good.
Old 10-06-07, 06:48 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by sc300max
Hang in there man. Usually car shopping takes patience and is tiring, but is rewarding when you find the right SC. Have you tried craigslist.org yet? My popular searches are "sc300" and "sc 300". Just replace the 3 with a 4 if you are looking for the sc400.
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I'm hitting the Dallas area Craigslist daily. In fact, I've got the dozen or so cars offered on there memorized pretty much. There's one over-pimped SC with neons and a couple, like the low mileage one at Sewell, where guys have never driven them and expect several times the book value for them. They don't understand why that doesn't always pay off. As precious as the SC is to us, they've not quite been declared Collector cars just yet.

Cars.com even has a "Burgundy" one here local with fairly low miles (130+)that the individual is asking FIFTEEN GRAND for!!! Insanely high for an average condition. It's wild out there.

But the good news is, I have all the currently offered cars pegged pretty well - so when a new one comes up for an offer I'm usually aware of it quickly. Thanks for the kind words...I'm in this search process for the long haul. The right SC300 (maybe SC400) will show itself soon enough. I hope.

Originally Posted by over40driv
The wheels on that 92 are no prize, for the price to were the 97s look good.
Yeah. I'm thinking there's almost no chance I'll be able to stay with stock wheels for any lengthy period of time on the one I eventually buy.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 10-06-07 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 08:44 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

To be honest I would get a lexus on the forums or Craigslist. Certified or not when you get done with it it will be in top shape!I got my 96 lexus sc300 for a great priceoff of Craigslist and it is running really well!!
Old 10-08-07, 07:40 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by play123boi
To be honest I would get a lexus on the forums or Craigslist. Certified or not when you get done with it it will be in top shape!I got my 96 lexus sc300 for a great priceoff of Craigslist and it is running really well!!
I completely agree with usings Craigslist. It is, in fact, my primary search tool. However, as I began my SC search anew this morning, I come across this new ad on there. Some folks are just CLUELESS when it comes to the value of a used car. Who can explain to these folks that no matter how special they think a vehicle is, there's a market economy out there that doesn't give a flip about what one thinks. *Sigh*

Oh well. I'm putting some more SC "feelers" out to see what they come up with.

I also feel myself slightly distracted after spending the weekend at the Lonestar Good-Guys show. An old school hot rod would be a lot of fun too.
Old 01-29-08, 02:29 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

The search resumes. Yep. I've been hunting for the right deal all this time.
I have high expectations for the SC I'm test-driving tomorrow.
Please cross your SC-fingers for me bros.
Old 01-29-08, 04:33 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

97 for sure man... 10000 for a 92? crazy
Old 01-29-08, 04:43 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
97 for sure man... 10000 for a 92? crazy
Ha ha...agreed for sure! However those were my choices back in October of last year. I'm pretty sure those cars are gone by now anyway; although at that price I doubt the '92 sold. *lol*

Nope, tomorrow I'm checking out a '97 SC300, which after all this time I'm favoring - both the SC3 part and the year, due to the OEM body kit (kinda) that it comes with plus a few other small details. I'll be test driving it tomorrow during my lunch hour and then - we'll see.

I've spent today looking for some "Mod Preference" type thread and not had much luck. I'm trying to get an idea of where to start with it (when I finally get one). It will be almost daily driven, with occasional track use for kicks.
Old 01-30-08, 03:49 AM
powerjunky
Pole Position

buy a 400.....you will love the v-8

sc300 if building a highly modfied race car

sc400 if ya want a reliable motor (add a supercharger for your fetish)

92 in hou texas
Old 01-30-08, 12:24 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Just back from the once-over and test drive.
  • Confirmed by Carfax that the car is a one-owner car and it SHOWS. She's almost in just-driven-off-the-lot-new condition.
  • There are only two almost imperceptible dings on the whole body that I could find.
  • The test drive revealed that she still drives like a dream. VERY softly compared to the upgraded suspension on my ES. *lol*
  • Lower control arms appeared to be in good shape
  • Only the slightest oil visible on the passenger side around the valve cover gasket. (300-600 repair coming up there)
  • Every time I drive a 2JZ I'm shocked at the pick-up
  • The interior has almost a new car smell still there (just like my "old" ES still has!)

The only negative thing (other than the gasket) is that the car is in SUCH cherry condition, I don't think there'll be a lot of haggle room. They've priced it at the top of the book value, and it really almost earns that, were it not for needing to get that gasket replaced.

Anyway, that's the report for now. I've turned in a loan application and I'll let you know if I pick 'er up.

Quick Reply: Tomorrow is official SC-shopping day!