SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tomorrow is official SC-shopping day!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 10:25 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Tomorrow is official SC-shopping day!

Cars on the agenda for tomorrow:
  • a '92 SC400 auto/jade with only 50k on the odometer verified. $10,998 asking price @ major dealer (2 times the book value, likely because of condition and LOW mileage)

• a '97 SC300 auto/onyx with 150k on the odometer verified $6995 asking price at minor dealer. Described as "showroom" condition.

If I'm not impressed by one of these I'll be shocked.
I'm thinking the showroom quality and LOW LOW miles of the '92 might overcome my desire for the body style, etc. of the '97 with 3x the mileage.

Please advise this SC newb.

If they're both cherry, which would you go with?
What are specific things you would check on these cars as you inspected them for purchase?

Last edited by Slooooooow; 10-05-07 at 10:28 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 10-05-07, 10:27 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

ide go for 97

just cuz its cheaper. and its a 97!! =D
Old 10-05-07, 10:36 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd def go for the 97.

Although the 92 has less miles, i like the looks of the 97 more. My 97 Blck/Blck has 232k on it, purchased it with around 220k. Drives as if it's got
60k on it. I wouldn't pay 10k for that car. Talk the 97 down to 5700.
Old 10-05-07, 10:37 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know how big of a deal it is for you, but the '92 will be pretty bad on gas. As I understand, the newer the sc400 the better the factory gas mileage.
Also, 150K is really nothing for these cars as I'm sure you've learned. Even the sc300.
In my opinion, I'd take the sc300 no questions asked.

- Sammy
Old 10-05-07, 10:43 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

I would favor the SC400 if you intend to keep the vehicle for five years or more. A well taken care of 1UZ can last forever. In that sense, the 92 is a better value; but, you will extract that value only if you keep it for a good while.

I would favor the SC300 if you intend to keep the vehicle for less than five years. The 3L can definitely get you another 50k miles while doing it in style. In that sense, the newer SC300 would get you from point A to point B for a few years, for not a lot of dough, while looking amazing at the same time.

I had a similar decision, and I went with the low mileage 96 SC400 since I intend to keep the car for years and years.
Old 10-05-07, 10:59 PM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blizzy
I would favor the SC400 if you intend to keep the vehicle for five years or more. A well taken care of 1UZ can last forever. In that sense, the 92 is a better value; but, you will extract that value only if you keep it for a good while.
That's what i was thinking, for you to get your moneys worth. Keep it a long time and keep it in great condition when you try to sell it. I'd be too scared an SC with that little miles because it would be daily driver.
Old 10-05-07, 11:07 PM
Caanon
Rookie

The '92 is 11k...i'm sure it's in wonderful condition, and it has low miles but it's still 11k for a 92. If you are willing to spend that much, it is just a short step up to a used 98+ that will have more miles(which really don't matter for these cars) but overall will be better car, with a more modern drivetrain, better looks, and some more features.

That said I was on a tight budget, got a 92 for $5800 3 years ago.

If you've researched I'm sure you know SC400s are better as an unmodded/auto trans daily driver. If you desire engine mods/swap/turbo and a manual transmission it's better to go SC300.

Basically for SC400s engine wise you can divide them into 92-97s and then 98-00s. The 98+ have more(+40) power,torque, and 5th gear in the auto trans for better fuel mileage.

Last edited by Caanon; 10-05-07 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 11:11 PM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

I would go with the 97. I got a 93 sc300 5spd with 145000 miles for 8000 with a 5 year 100k mile warranty.....150k is low miles for these.
Old 10-06-07, 12:30 AM
gldndrgn14
Pole Position

let me know if you dont decide to pick up the 97. i may have to pick that up if a deal falls through with one im looking at right now. i will know tomorrow hopefully. haha
Old 10-06-07, 01:03 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

I'd go for the 97 but try to lower the price down a little.

~Josh
Old 10-06-07, 03:03 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

97 sc3 - Better body style (in my opinion), comes with slightly more options, more potential if planning to mod, black color. Also keep in mind that the timing belt service is recommended in about 30k miles.

92 sc4 - Very low miles, better engine out of the box, not sure if you like the green color. Can't really tell from the pic, but is there a sunroof? Also the timing belt service in about 40k miles.

What to look for in both cars - Ride is comfortable w/o any strange noises from the suspension/engine. Look closely for any dents, scratches, and inconsistent paint on the body. No leaking from the power steering onto the alternator on the sc4. No leaking from the distributor cap onto the alternator on the sc3. Make sure antenna goes up and down smoothly and quietly. Make sure the hood and trunk stay up on their own. When you test drive it, turn on the headlights and put the dimmer to full brightness to see if there is any dimming when you brake/signal. Both should be clean title

From my experience, I have seen 97+ with around 100k miles on them starting from $7,000 so you might want to wait a bit for the right car. If you must choose between the two, try to talk down both of them as much as you can especially the 92. Find issues with the vehicles and make it your reasoning for the lower offer. Use the common issues found on the SC like cracked interior window trim and center vent, crackling noise coming from underneath when the car is turned off after a drive, yellowing headlight lenses, and blacked out interior/console lights just to name a few. Good luck man.

Last edited by TheMole; 10-06-07 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 07:13 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

You guys are absolutely golden! This is exactly the kind of information I need. My lady and I have been sitting here reading through your posts like we're reading an SC bible.

I was doing some last minute scanning of SCs in the area and found another '97/Jade/Auto/115k/$6990. (Pretty much the same as the black one but with 35k fewer miles). What is interesting about this one is that the dealer actually lists what they've found wrong with the vehicle on a window sticker. Check it out:

IF they would ALL provide this type of service, the buying process would be OH SO much easier!

Please keep your thoughts on the '92 vs. '97 purchase coming, as well as the "Look out for this" list. I'm jotting it all down. Thanks again!

Old 10-06-07, 07:50 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

With this SC, are you thinking daily driver or modified wonder?

If you are thinking daily driver and you would prefer to spend ~$8k on something with a few more miles the SC400 is definitely the preferred choice if you can find one. Out of the box, the V8 has more power and more reliability for the long run.

The 3L is still reliable like a Lexus should be, but the V8 is just freakishly reliable.
Old 10-06-07, 08:14 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by Blizzy
With this SC, are you thinking daily driver or modified wonder?

If you are thinking daily driver and you would prefer to spend ~$8k on something with a few more miles the SC400 is definitely the preferred choice if you can find one. Out of the box, the V8 has more power and more reliability for the long run.

The 3L is still reliable like a Lexus should be, but the V8 is just freakishly reliable.

Howdy, Blizzy.

You guys are so good. You're not merely offering opinions and prejudices about the models, you're actually asking intended usage questions. I've not found that level of objectivity on the many other car boards I surf.

Right now I've got 3 cars and a bike ('05 Subaru Legacy GT, '92 ES300, '99 Regency Conversion Van & '05 Harley RoadKing Classic) so nothing I have is truly daily driven; I rotate like crazy and the miles on all of them are LOW. I'm thinking the SC will replace the Legacy, which I will probably sell upon acquisition of the SC.

Not one vehicle I've ever owned has escaped modification or Zaino. Obsessive compulsive disorder is a PAIN, but it results in very clean, well-kept, modified vehicles.

I've also got JPI in my backyard, and with a super-tuner like JPI so close, how can I not mod it to the fullest?

It's sounding like folks buy the SC4 and other than a few bolt-ons, that's about it for modification because it's so inherently powerful from the factory.
It sounds like folks buy the SC3, which is greatly modifiable and tune it like crazy. Is this perception correct or am I off? No ego here, so let me know...
Old 10-06-07, 09:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I have owned both EXACT cars - 97 Sc300 and a 92 SC400.

$11k for a 92 is ridiculous. I don't care what the mileage is - it is still way too much.

Sewell Lexus is a sponsor on these forums and are great to work with. The fact that they have done the PPI for you is a big

I would start there, then go to the 97 SC300. I wouldn't even waste my time with the SC400 unless you are planning on staying 100% stock for performance.

Good Luck,
Jonny

Quick Reply: Tomorrow is official SC-shopping day!