SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SAFETY VS. ANTI-THEFT: putting a detachable steering wheel on a SC400!! help?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 03:22 AM
sc400 2nv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFETY VS. ANTI-THEFT: putting a detachable steering wheel on a SC400!! help?!?!?

i drive a 1997 sc400 that is lowered on coilovers with some 19" rims. i park outside at night too =(. i am very paranoid about car theft and i know that its a lexus and not a honda, but im pretty sure there are some theives that can still steal our SC's.

well ive been thinking of putting a detachable steering wheel on my sc. nrg supra short hub, nrg quick release, and a nardi steering wheel(to be specific). i DONT want to put an alarm as they are annoying and my driver door actuator is broken so i wouldnt be able to enjoy the remote doors. autolock is a hassle plus my friends car got stolen with one of those on. i need ur help guy so i have some questions id like u to answer!!

1. i heard that our cars have a stock alarm system. i dont know how it works, except that there is some kind of kill switch if the doors arent opened by the key... how does it work and is the factory alarm enough to prevent theft??

2. how many cases have u heard of someones sc getting stolen. STOLEN, as in some one breaking in and tampering with the ignition to start it up and not just towing it away.

3. newer cars have computer chips in the keys/ignition to prevent theft. are our laser cut keys a good anti-theft device? or can someone just start our cars up with a screwdriver?

4. yeah i know that ill lose the drivers side airbag if i put a detachable steering wheel but will the passenger side still deploy in an accident?

5. i will have to lose my cruise contol, lose my airbag, and get rid of the airbag light on cluster. anything other losses/mods that i may encounter??

and last question that i hope u guys will answer. this question will help me decide on the detachable steering wheel!

5. would u guys go ahead and put a detachable steering wheel on ur sc's? ... despite the loss of safety and some luxury in exchange for the peace of mind that ur car wont be stolen and the beautiful look and feel of a nardi steering wheel at ur face when cruising.
Old 10-09-07, 06:56 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It must just be all about where you live. There is no way I would swap out the wheel ... but than again, I could park my car outside, unlocked, with the windows down ... and not be too worried about anything happening.

I would value keeping my stock face / head in the event of a serious crash, due to the airbag, but I guess that just depends on how good looking you are . I mean if the car gets stolen, that sucks, but its just a car, you can get insurance; however, getting ruined from having no airbag is irreversible.

There is a post a few down from this one regarding a SC that was stolen and shortly recovered in CA.

Is it a daily driver? Have you had a car stolen before? Gangster-*** neighborhood?
Old 10-09-07, 07:00 AM
soarinhigh
Lead Lap

The airbag has saved my life once. It will always be in my car. unless I have racing seats and harnesses.
Old 10-09-07, 07:54 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by soarinhigh
The airbag has saved my life once. It will always be in my car. unless I have racing seats and harnesses.
i agree completely, more motivation to get some kickass seats lol
Old 10-09-07, 12:00 PM
TreyGSR
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc400 2nv
i drive a 1997 sc400 that is lowered on coilovers with some 19" rims. i park outside at night too =(. i am very paranoid about car theft and i know that its a lexus and not a honda, but im pretty sure there are some theives that can still steal our SC's.

well ive been thinking of putting a detachable steering wheel on my sc. nrg supra short hub, nrg quick release, and a nardi steering wheel(to be specific). i DONT want to put an alarm as they are annoying and my driver door actuator is broken so i wouldnt be able to enjoy the remote doors. autolock is a hassle plus my friends car got stolen with one of those on. i need ur help guy so i have some questions id like u to answer!!

1. i heard that our cars have a stock alarm system. i dont know how it works, except that there is some kind of kill switch if the doors arent opened by the key... how does it work and is the factory alarm enough to prevent theft??

yes, they do, a horn will sound, I have been told by "pop-a-lock" that they could open my door (and get my key from my trunk) because the car won't strat before , dunno if thats rumor but thats what i was told, so i ended up getting a new key. So if thats true, I like it! if not, get an alarm.

2. how many cases have u heard of someones sc getting stolen. STOLEN, as in some one breaking in and tampering with the ignition to start it up and not just towing it away.

as far as the stolen part, my civic was stolen last summer, never hard the sc issue, but not a high deman like the fellow civics and tegs

3. newer cars have computer chips in the keys/ignition to prevent theft. are our laser cut keys a good anti-theft device? or can someone just start our cars up with a screwdriver?

that i am not sure, dont want to tell you a wrong answer

4. yeah i know that ill lose the drivers side airbag if i put a detachable steering wheel but will the passenger side still deploy in an accident?

The srs would be disable I believe in the driver, the passenger may deploy since there still maybe a link, fuse still attached etc. but if the main connection for SRS is in the steering wheel then both won't work.

BUT, I loved my detachable steering wheel. After i recovered my car i built it back up and put a nrg set up and mom steering wheel...LOVED IT... get look, great feel, and it made me feel comfortable

5. i will have to lose my cruise contol, lose my airbag, and get rid of the airbag light on cluster. anything other losses/mods that i may encounter??

Should be about it. sorry im not as resourceful as you prob hoped.

and last question that i hope u guys will answer. this question will help me decide on the detachable steering wheel!

5. would u guys go ahead and put a detachable steering wheel on ur sc's? ... despite the loss of safety and some luxury in exchange for the peace of mind that ur car wont be stolen and the beautiful look and feel of a nardi steering wheel at ur face when cruising.

I want to, I was worried about the Luxur vs sporty look, but I have seen one with a aftermarket racing seat and that helped with the look, I mean if you plan on modding then go for it, I know when i decide to get one, I will have seats in the near future (since the leater is eventually wearing down as well) the harness you may get with the seat would ad to saftey.... just a thought sorry if i got typos everywhere i am at work
Old 10-09-07, 01:11 PM
VinnyQH
Lead Lap

that's the same set up i hav too. nrg short hub with nrg quick release and a nardi steering wheel. realistically i see a benefit for airbags, but at the same time, does it really matter that much if you have your seatbelt on also. it's a back up to protection. so if you are worried about crashes, keep your airbag. personal choice on it
Old 10-09-07, 01:12 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a removeable steering wheel, i have had many high end alarms over the years. They annoy me, so this was my quick solution also fixes that crap worn leather wheel quite nicely...

Last edited by twizted; 10-09-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 01:13 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by VinnyQH
that's the same set up i hav too. nrg short hub with nrg quick release and a nardi steering wheel. realistically i see a benefit for airbags, but at the same time, does it really matter that much if you have your seatbelt on also. it's a back up to protection. so if you are worried about crashes, keep your airbag. personal choice on it
Oh no lets not get onto the whole air bag thing again. LOL that was a can O worms.
Old 10-09-07, 05:21 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

They can just bring a tow truck and lift your SC onto othe flat bed.
Old 10-09-07, 05:23 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by benxd
They can just bring a tow truck and lift your SC onto othe flat bed.

True but they can do that with an alarm lol. They towed my car once with an alarm going off, if you cut the wheels then take the steering wheel of it does make it a challenge...
Old 10-09-07, 05:34 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twizted
True but they can do that with an alarm lol. They towed my car once with an alarm going off, if you cut the wheels then take the steering wheel of it does make it a challenge...
They can just put the wheels on dollys and then roll the car onto the flat bed.
Old 10-09-07, 06:47 PM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by benxd
They can just put the wheels on dollys and then roll the car onto the flat bed.

That exzactly what they did to... haha i was saying thats as difficult as you can make its if somone wants it that bad. So whats your point exzactly?
Old 10-09-07, 11:29 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he twizted.. can i see what ur interior looks like with a detachable steering wheel?
Old 10-09-07, 11:31 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CCC-TT
i agree completely, more motivation to get some kickass seats lol
+ racing helmet..

nothin beats staring at a cop wit the helmet on =p

jk,
Old 10-10-07, 06:33 AM
twizted
Instructor

Originally Posted by fwynn
he twizted.. can i see what ur interior looks like with a detachable steering wheel?

LOOK up ^^^

Quick Reply: SAFETY VS. ANTI-THEFT: putting a detachable steering wheel on a SC400!! help?!?!?